Would you recommend a pair of custom iem to a 14 year old?
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vclb

New Head-Fier
I want a pair of customs for my setup and I only have 14 years.  I'm worried that after a couple of months, these wont fit me anymore.  What do you think are these going to last me a lot of time?

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Are they better?  Or are they simply different?

The main thing customs attempt to do is improve fitment and isolation.  However, if the ambient noise isn't high, and you can get a good seal with a universal, what's the gain then?

I will simply state that some folks have gone to customs and have been disappointed too, and you can't sell customs easy because any buyer will need to remold them just to use them on top of your asking price. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Are they better?  Or are they simply different?

The main thing customs attempt to do is improve fitment and isolation.  However, if the ambient noise isn't high, and you can get a good seal with a universal, what's the gain then?

I will simply state that some folks have gone to customs and have been disappointed too, and you can't sell customs easy because any buyer will need to remold them just to use them on top of your asking price. 

This is something I've also come to believe, although I imagine it's still a minority opinion.  Personally, I've read too many stories about people having problems achieving satisfactory fit with their customs to feel comfortable making the trade-off.  I know that it could seem I'm a victim of an availability heuristic, and that the statistics would probably suggest I'm overreacting, but the people who do end with problems are faced with a situation unpleasant enough to be very off-putting. 

And for what, really?  If you're at the very high end of the market, which I imagine less here can really afford to be then actually are (which is ironic in the context of this thread), then it could be different.  Head-fi is a funny place, though. 

If I were deciding between the JH5 and the W4, I'd probably go W4.  I think it's probably a better sounding monitor. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 13
When you are 14 years old, your tastes, interests and preferences change even faster than you grow. I wouldn't get customs at that age, since I believe it is a waste of money because of that, not only because of the fit issue.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm only a year older than you and was looking to get the JH5's a few weeks ago until someone told me not to get them until I'm 18+ and recommended me the Westone 4's instead. I got the the W4's a few days ago and I'm pretty much satisfied.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I'm only a year older than you and was looking to get the JH5's a few weeks ago until someone told me not to get them until I'm 18+ and recommended me the Westone 4's instead. I got the the W4's a few days ago and I'm pretty much satisfied.

I find myself in a similar predicament due to the fact that I'm only 15 (practically 16) and have been craving the Jerry Harvey JH5 pro. I have done a lot of web browsing on these but after a few hours of research I still haven't made up my mind. It's already a fact that the JH5 pros are sonically better than any Universal in-ear monitor, e.g. the Shure SE535 and/or Westone W3 or W4, but of course this means that they could become somewhat vexatious after a few months, like anyone else under 18, for fit reasons. So within a few months I will hopefully make a decision, whether I chose the JH5's, the SE535's, or W4's, I'll post my impressions and share what I think of them. 
BTW, I'm not going to rush this thing if I choose the 5pros and I recommend any other teen to do the same. Personally, it will take me time and much excogi'tation before I dedicate myself to owning a pair of Custom monitors while they become a problem. I have the patience to wait a few years until I can order my first Custom IEM's but if you have the money and the ability to wait for remolding every 3 to 6 months, try it out! We'd appreciate anything you would like to contribute. 
Thanks
Andrew, 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back