Would you rather own the ideal speaker setup, or ideal headphone setup?
Apr 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #61 of 111
I'll go with speakers, no restriction of cords and the feeling of the cans on head.
Well you may watch movies with it too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #62 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anechoic chambers are absolutely horrible for music, yes.
A room with as few parallell surfaces as possible equipped with diffusors is what's optimal (usually meaning a pro-studio control room).

Have you ever been in one? I have. I had to walk around on network of cables. Very cool.

Back on topic, SPEAKERS! Headphones are for poor boys.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #63 of 111
I think i would go for the headphone setup. I like the speaker-setup we have at home and I am not completely satisfied with the hp-setup. Since I listen more intense to my hp's than my speakers it would make more sense I guess.
Aahhhhh, one day.....

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #64 of 111
This is the darndest subject! So I was sittin' there watchin' whatever the wife had put on TV, Ok; I wasn't watching; it was just ON...and the wife was out in the kitchen making some home made pies and the kids are all in school and it's relatively quiet in the house.

So I hung some towels from the fireplace mantle, put some big cushions on the hearth, pulled my listening chair forward a couple feet and a bit to the right and toed-in the speakers about 9 degrees which put me in the "sweet Spot" and put on some tunes.

Darn! Those speakers sound GOOD!!

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #65 of 111
I'd have to go with the speakers as well. Granted, I'm still a headphones noob and have never heard a really top-notch headphones rig, but I agree with the social aspect of music that others have mentioned. I have, on the other hand, heard a really top-notch speaker rig. When I would get new music that I thought would really shine on a nice stereo system, I would take it over to my friend's house (the guy who owned the rig) and listen in bliss. Even though he's an audiophile and I've got a good ear (just don't have the money to throw at expensive gear), we would carry on conversation, get drinks and socialize in general while we listened. I've since moved to another city not close enough for casual visits. Those were good times that I miss.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #66 of 111
i'd definitely go with a good speaker set-up -- headphones just can't match the sense of space and dynamics.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #68 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I'd like to have a VERY VERY VERY big room filled with LOTS of speakers....

x2, the ideal speaker set up for me would include multiple speakers, justl ike the ideal headphone set up would include multiple headphones.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #69 of 111
uuhhhh....Wilson Audio speakers with Krell pre/pro/amp and Esosteric sources in a nice-sized room with proper acoustics would do it for me....no doubt about it. But until I can afford to spend a $150K+ on a sound system, headphones and decent home theater system do it for me.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #70 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, the ideal speaker set up for me would include multiple speakers, justl ike the ideal headphone set up would include multiple headphones.

Yup! What works well for me is to run rock through just the stereo speakers, and the classical with the remainder of the surrounds engaged.

The "musical" sub is always on.
tongue.gif

Depending on what the music type of the rest is, is what will determine just how many speakers will be used.

Does a fine job of adding just the right mix of soundstaging and imaging as well as the proper ambience for each music type!

It would be a lot more fun if I didn't have such a sucky listening room.
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #71 of 111
Im thinking a sonically perfect room means that no noise escapes so I would rather have speakers. I like to "feel" the music so speakers would be better. The reason I use headphones is so I can listen to only the music and not much outside noise. However, if you were to ask if I would rather have a good speaker setup or headphone setup at the same price then I would probably say headphones.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #72 of 111
Someone mentioned Nearfield Pro Monitors that cost $2.1K sounding better than an HE90 - which costs, well, quite a bit more. So it seems like there would be hardly any point, if you didn't have concerns about portability or privacy, to not going speakers instead of headphones?

So is there nobody who likes the sound of headphones better than the sound from speakers?

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #73 of 111
I guess I'm also one of the speaker guys, I' like to have the absolute BEST speaker setup in one room if I could. That room would be my theater and entertainment room. I could settle for only $25,000 total on all headphones and sources bc, at that price, I could have a wonderfully adequate headphone set-up for the times when I was unable to use my perfect speakers.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #74 of 111
I would rather own a house, and enough free space around it, to allow a speaker setup that I could use any time I wanted to to be a viable option. Then, I'd be happy with a less-than-ideal speaker setup.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #75 of 111
I would go speakers. The bass from good speakers is a sensation that I miss now that I listen to headphones. I can't wait to get home from school and listen to my aerial model 6's, rel r 305s powered by B&K amps. While not the highest end setup, I prefer this to all the headphone rigs I have heard.

I can only imagine mbl speakers, mbl amps, esoteric sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back