Would you rather own the ideal speaker setup, or ideal headphone setup?
Apr 12, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 111
Not even close.

I'll take the perfect loudspeaker setup!

There is a visceral experience that you can obtain with loudspeakers that isn't available in headphone listening.

...And a minimal 10K+ or so Headphone setup.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 111
i'd have to own the best headphone set up.. cause i'd have to sell the speaker set up once i move (which is like every summer for me).. and i certainly can't take a speaker setup to JVC.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both.

Several of each!
icon10.gif
No, seriously. At the extreme level, speakers win.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #22 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could have anything, choose anything - which route would you go? If money were no object, if you had a room that was a sonically perfect shrine to music, but you could only go either speakers or headphone -- which? Any system, any equipment.

Just curious, of course. Not intending to pick anyone out of the crowd to grant the wishes of.

In a perfect world.. Speakers for movies..Headphones for music..

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #23 of 111
For me it's nearfield pro monitors. I just got JBL LSR 6328's, and my first impression of them is they are far superior to my R10 and HE90 rigs. They are self powered speakers, they cost approx $2.1K, and I sit 4 ft from them, and they are 4 ft apart. The effect resembles that of listening to a K1000 (which I owned for several years, and sold), but the sound is tremendously more full, more dramatic, more intense, more enveloping, more realistic, and therefore more satisfying to me. I've also listened to the new large Quads (i.e., the 2905s), and while they sounded great with some music (e.g., classical strings), they sounded really terrible with my Buena Vista Social Club CD. I was also turned off by the remoteness (i.e., distance) of music reproduced by them, as well as by numerous other high end consumer speakers, that are designed to provide full-room sound, and that I've heard. IMO, nearfield pro monitors provide an excellent compromise, at a really reasonable price, and there seems to be no need for special room accoustic treatments, designs, or modifications, since the ideal sound evelope, that is produced by the monitors, is located/projected/established in their immediate proximity (i.e., there's a minimum of alteration of their sound envelope by the room environment). It's as a direct consequence of postings by Lloyd297 that I've learned about, and listening to, nearfield pro monitors, and I'm very grateful to Lloyd297 for this.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #27 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers. If only I didn't have to suffer headphones for listening late at night (when I usually get to to most of my listening).

build a soundproof room and your neighbors will stop complaining

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #28 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it's nearfield pro monitors. I just got JBL LSR 6328's, and my first impression of them is they are far superior to my R10 and HE90 rigs. They are self powered speakers, they cost approx $2.1K, and I sit 4 ft from them, and they are 4 ft apart. The effect resembles that of listening to a K1000 (which I owned for several years, and sold), but the sound is tremendously more full, more dramatic, more intense, more enveloping, more realistic, and therefore more satisfying to me. I've also listened to the new large Quads (i.e., the 2905s), and while they sounded great with some music (e.g., classical strings), they sounded really terrible with my Buena Vista Social Club CD. I was also turned off by the remoteness (i.e., distance) of music reproduced by them, as well as by numerous other high end consumer speakers, that are designed to provide full-room sound, and that I've heard. IMO, nearfield pro monitors provide an excellent compromise, at a really reasonable price, and there seems to be no need for special room accoustic treatments, designs, or modifications, since the ideal sound evelope, that is produced by the monitors, is located/projected/established in their immediate proximity (i.e., there's a minimum of alteration of their sound envelope by the room environment). It's as a direct consequence of postings by Lloyd297 that I've learned about, and listening to, nearfield pro monitors, and I'm very grateful to Lloyd297 for this.

wha... i could do that... tell me more about these near field monitor things (i listen at my desk so i'm very very interested in this).

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #30 of 111
Speakers, because my dream rig I doubt I could ever afford...but I can and likely already do own my ideal headphone rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back