Would you rather own the ideal speaker setup, or ideal headphone setup?
Nov 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #92 of 111
The ideal speaker setup trumps the ideal headphone set up. I'm rather social and would rather have the speakers. Headphones are nice, but they are rather solitary music venues.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #94 of 111
Speakers. More natural, more impressive, and with no restraints from neighbors or anything, it'd be blissful. Headphones are far more economical though, so that's the path I'm taking
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #95 of 111
If I had to pick, speakers defo. I can't afford to have the ideal set up for either however. I have a couple pairs of decent cans tho. Going to buy an amp eventually. Next on the list is to DIY myself a set of Fostex speakers.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #96 of 111
Speakers. Imaging is my highest priority, and I've heard a few speaker-based systems that absolutely blew me away. I heard a very pricey system based around top-of-the-line Maggies that just went places I've never heard headphones go.

Of course I would have to bring in a professional to treat the room, and there would be a Rockport or similarly absurd turntable involved.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #97 of 111
A speaker setup, without a doubt! I would want to share these brilliant auditory experiences with others >)

...plus I could sell the CD player, get the second best at a fifth of the price and buy a completely wonderfully dumb head-fi setup for my egotistical needs.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #98 of 111
For best sound, I'd go with headphones being fed a binaural source and a sensor that can detect the slightest head movement so when you turn your head right (or left or up or down) the music isn't kept in front of you but to the left of (or right of or below or above) you. Get it?

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #99 of 111
Speaker setup for home, headphone setup for portables. For me, speakers (such as loudspeakers, floorstanders, bookshelves, satellites) are still unmatched for its sound reproduction. Give only one choice, speakers are the way to go, hands-down.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #100 of 111
I would take the headphone setup without hesitation! Getting lost in the music and leaving the world's distractions behind is much easier with headphones.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #101 of 111
If money was no constraint, and if I had the space and never had to consider others when listening, then definitely speakers.

Unfortunately, all of these apply and are a fact of life. Thus, listening whenever the hell I want on the ultimate headphones setup vs listening only sometimes on the ultimate speaker setup.... headphones wins
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #104 of 111
Headphones. I do not have a room that is good for speakers, and I prefer to keep the sounds of my music and games to myself (and I expect the same out of others).

I'm getting an HD800, so hopefully I am on my way to a nearly-ideal headphone setup. Yes, I almost undoubtedly need a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back