Would you listen to it???
Feb 19, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #31 of 47
evil_smiley.gif
(do it Redneck, do it!)

Yeah, I'd do it. I'm an info junkie, and I like looking at, listening to, touching, feeling, experiencing anything that uses electricity!

(So, I just sit in this chair and you are going to close that big knife switch and whats going to happen? [size=small]WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!![/size] )

Feb 19, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Um, why would anyone vote no? Clue me in guys, cuz up this point, i think y'all hitting the pipe or somethin
rolleyes.gif

-
This is MY reason:
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
When I indeed was a noob I never imagined using cans for anything else than portable use. I guess I had no idea of the potential.. Good question Vertioge - for me the answer is "no".

And about me assuming anything -

Quote:

I hate when people ASSUME things. Don't assume. Given the circumstances, being a newbie and all if i had the opportunity to listen to that specific setup:
YES I WOULD STILL LISTEN TO THE F@N THING!

I'm glad you got that off your chest. Now, let me just defend myself here: I did not assume anything. Here is one reason I posted what I posted:

Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
Of course I would listen to it! It's a frickin' Orpheus and Sondek!

Finally,

Quote:

And why not? No one is really answering why they wouldn't listen to it.

Why doesn't someone here explain why they chose "no"

let me just "re-quote" myself:

Quote:

When I indeed was a noob I never imagined using cans for anything else than portable use. I guess I had no idea of the potential.. Good question Vertioge - for me the answer is "no".

Why do people at head-fi always believe I say things I don't and get all mad at me?

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
You give off the wrong impression without noticing it.

I think it is more like,
People get the wrong impression without me giving it.

I mean, how did gloco come up with all that? Maybe it's the whole "feel" of what i type.

confused.gif

I'm puzzled.

Feb 19, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #35 of 47
Flasken, you should pay attention to your wording:

"I am beginning to think that some of you forget what the question is. "

I re read the question several times. It makes perfect sense, but people actually choosing "no" doesn't.

Nice try, but you made an assumption on my behalf. Read the above quote back to yourself, your making an assumption.

This is MY reason:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flasken, some of us actually use our headphones at home and outside of the home. I still don't understand why you or anyone else would not want to try these cans. I actually thought it was because people would feel worthless or "jealous" for not being able to own such a hi-end set of cans. Apparently no one thinks this.

And let me re-word my own thoughts
rolleyes.gif

It still baffles the hell out of me why some folks actually voted "no," it's like the car dealership letting you test drive a freaking ferrari, even if you can't afford it, give it a try, it doesn't hurt to get a taste of the "good life."

I guess when it comes down to it some people are "scared" to try something that is out of their grasp. Does something scare you about an Orpheus and Sondek?

Flasken, when it comes down to it, i just don't get why anyone would turn down the opportunity to listen to something that may be considered godly in the audio world. It's not a personal attack on you, but the handful of folks who voted no seem to have run off.

wink.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #36 of 47
I haven't run off... and I think the people who voted yes can't grasp what the question is about. You don't know about head-fi, you don't know about the Orpheus, your contact with the audio world is most likely limited to a cheap portable cd player and stock headphones. You go into a hifi shop, most likely your first time ever in such a store, and there a bunch of guys standing around $20,000 speakers talking about stuff that is like a foriegn language to you. You pick out some $30 headphones that you think sound good, when a salesman walks up and asks if you would like to listen to a headphone setup that costs more than your parents car. If this isn't intimidating I don't know what is...

Maybe you'd still listen to it, but I doubt it. And it's not about being scared... Your ferrari analogy is close, but not near as drastic as this. Let's say an average car in your neighborhood costs $30,000 (a generous estimate). You go in to a dealership and they ask if you want to test drive a Ferrari, a car that costs $200,000. Ok, so this car costs about seven times as much as yours, plus almost everyone has heard of it. Take the system vertigo described... $36,000 total, compared to your $150 system. Over 200 times as expensive... It's alot different.

So don't say the people who voted no are scared... I just think they really do have a better grasp of the question and what Vertigo was trying to get at... I think his point was that it's very hard to get involved in a hifi community. Especially for someone who doesn't have the money to jump into the deep end with a fancy setup.

Feb 20, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Does something scare you about an Orpheus and Sondek?

Well, that wasn't quite what I was shooting for...if I had wanted to do that, I would've put everything into a sealed room, away from the salesman, put the pricetags on, and then ask the question. If people still voted "No" then yes, they are probably scared of the Orpheus and Sondek. With nobody around to watch you, who wouldn't listen to the system?

The idea here though is the whole world is watching you, everybody's dressed in suits and stuff, and you're standing there looking at this $36,000 system that's placed under floodlights in a dimmed room, and you have the option of listening to it or just walking away from all the pressure. It's the entire situation that one has to grasp, not just those two fancy toys sitting on the table. Every stare, every cough, every nervous shift comes into play.

Yes you can use your own CDs BTW...even though the room is absolutely stacked with audiophile grade recordings from Telarc and Mapleshade and Red Rose, etc, to add just another level of pressure on.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Those that still say Yes at this point are pretty damn hardcore, not afraid to go all out to get to what you want to hear.

Feb 20, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #38 of 47
I'd end up in Los Angeles county jail pending trial for criminal speeding in twenty different states.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't get why ppl would say "no" either. Even if you are a newbie, you obviously have some kind of interest to even walk into such a store. So why not open your horizons, isn't that what you went in there for in the first place?

Feb 20, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
With nobody around to watch you, who wouldn't listen to the system?

The idea here though is the whole world is watching you, everybody's dressed in suits and stuff, and you're standing there looking at this $36,000 system that's placed under floodlights in a dimmed room, and you have the option of listening to it or just walking away from all the pressure. It's the entire situation that one has to grasp, not just those two fancy toys sitting on the table. Every stare, every cough, every nervous shift comes into play.

Yes you can use your own CDs BTW...even though the room is absolutely stacked with audiophile grade recordings from Telarc and Mapleshade and Red Rose, etc, to add just another level of pressure on.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Those that still say Yes at this point are pretty damn hardcore, not afraid to go all out to get to what you want to hear.

Ahh, i see now. Do you think i would care if all these people were standing around watching me? Hell no! Maybe it's my work background, but it doesn't bother me one bit. I would sit on my ass with my Nautica jeans, white t-shirt (100% cotton mind you
biggrin.gif
) and jam along to DMB and other cool cd's for hours on end. The "elite" would wind up having to kick me out...that's just me though....
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
I haven't run off... and I think the people who voted yes can't grasp what the question is about. You don't know about head-fi, you don't know about the Orpheus, your contact with the audio world is most likely limited to a cheap portable cd player and stock headphones. You go into a hifi shop, most likely your first time ever in such a store, and there a bunch of guys standing around $20,000 speakers talking about stuff that is like a foriegn language to you. You pick out some $30 headphones that you think sound good, when a salesman walks up and asks if you would like to listen to a headphone setup that costs more than your parents car. If this isn't intimidating I don't know what is...

Maybe you'd still listen to it, but I doubt it. And it's not about being scared...

I wouldn't be intimidated one bit...not one bit! Don't you think people would be CURIOUS? I would think that younger people like myself would jump at the chance, call me ballsy, but thats how i am. Why would you consider it intimidating to listen to a piece of audio equipment that may cost than your parents car? I mean, what are all these people doing at these audio shows? Boozing it up and talking about world domination? C'mon man, think about it. I know i'll be at the NYC audio show and many others like me and i don't know squat compared to many of you. Hell, chances are they'll be people there that don't know much about audio, like wives and kids, and they'll still try stuff out. By the way, if that salesman stood over me he'd get backhanded. I still don't grasp the argument that anyone would be intimidated, if you are...well you'd better snap out of it, cuz when it comes time to work for a living you need to express yourself to your coworkers and BOSSES!
eek.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #41 of 47
Expressing yourself to your boss is completely different and has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

When you only had a portable cd player and stock headphones, did you actually go into a hifi shop Gloco? If you did, and talked with the salespeople and listened to a bunch of stuff, then I'll accept your answer, otherwise I still think you're not putting yourself in that position. Well, maybe you are and that's what you would do, but I doubt everyone who voted yes put themselves in that position...

Feb 20, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
When you only had a portable cd player and stock headphones, did you actually go into a hifi shop Gloco?

I've been doing this since i started working when i was 18, so my answer is 'yes'

Feb 20, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #43 of 47
Another headfier and myself both got some of our initial exposure to high-end audio at the same store.

I was in high school at the time. Amazing system. Crown preamp, McIntosh amp driving the most amazing speakers...the original Bose 901. Two pairs, suspended from the ceiling. Thorens table with Rabco arm, Empire cartridge. I swore to myself I would one day be able to own something that good...

My own system at the time was a plastic GE turntable (ceramic cartridge) with amp/speakers.

Feb 20, 2002 at 10:46 AM Post #44 of 47
I described the scenario to a friend of mine with "stock-buds-are-good-enough-for-me"- status. Guess what he answered? NO!

If you really have that much trouble imagining it gloco, perhaps you should ask someone neutral...

wink.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #45 of 47
There are some people who want to hear the best sound possible. There are others who are afraid that hearing such a sound will make them discontented with what they already own. There are some that just plain don't care.

To try and characterize someone as not understanding the question because they answered it differently than someone you know, or how you would have answered yourself, is ridiculous.
mad.gif
Different people in the same situation will still respond differently. Live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back