Would you listen to it???
Feb 17, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 47
Haha! I was told the same exact thing there when I asked to audition the Cary.
tongue.gif

I need to go back there and buy a Basis 2000 turntable with the stock tonearm. I sure would love the Debut Mk. V though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 47
Why the hell not? Its not like i'm gonna sell my soul, the dealer isnt the devil by any chance is her? For Tyra and the 'phones, maybe.

Feb 18, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #18 of 47
I'm having a hard time putting myself in the situation...this would be like trying to describe a 4-dimensional cube to a layperson...

Feb 18, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #21 of 47
Actually now that I think about it, I can't possibly get into such a situation--I would went and listened to the big rig on center stage, first thing after I enter the store
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 18, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
Of course I would listen to it! It's a frickin' Orpheus and Sondek!

Ooops!! You forgot that you're a newb and you don't know w.t.h. a frickin' Orpheus is!!

The question is a good one. Vertigo, you is a very tricky master indeed!

My first reaction was "hell yes!!", but (there always seems to be a "but" here at head-fi) I don't think I would. When I indeed was a noob I never imagined using cans for anything else than portable use. I guess I had no idea of the potential.. Good question Vertioge - for me the answer is "no".

Feb 18, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 47
Um, why would anyone vote no? Clue me in guys, cuz up this point, i think y'all hitting the pipe or somethin
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Um, why would anyone vote no? Clue me in guys, cuz up this point, i think y'all hitting the pipe or somethin
rolleyes.gif

I am beginning to think that some of you forget what the question is.

"Would you listen to it",
as in,

"Would you, given the circumstances(scenario), at the given time according to the scenario, remembering that the circumstances would be different than they really are, thus perhaps producing a different answer than the one you would probably choose beeing a head-fier, listen to it?"

blaaah...

Answering yourr 'eh questionaires señior gloco?

Feb 18, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #25 of 47
Ya know Flasken, with that said, I hope the rest of these guys voted with that in their brain, and not with "It's a frickin' Orpheus and Sondek!!!" in their brains.
rolleyes.gif

It is a pretty fun question, and I thought up of the situation after reading a thread where a person refused to acknowledge even considering or trying a superior headphone, just because of its price and the fact that he could probably never get it.

I personally voted Yes myself because I've already been in such situations before, where I did not know what in the world the equipment was other than the pricetag, and I'm surrounded by people that have much more exposure to high end audio than me. A simple trip to find a pair of interconnects ended up with me getting to listen to a Sondek for a good half an hour, being compared back to a cheaper CDP, and a trip to find my CDP ended up with me getting to hear the Sony SCD-1. I had no idea what the hell the $20k CDP was at that time, had no reason to even think about buying it (I thought $1000 sources were insane enough already at that time) and given I was in a room with other older guys who knew their stuff, I could have just taken the interconns and left. Thank god I decided to sit back down and settle in, but I still noticed the occasional wierd glances those older guys gave me and did feel out of place in the crowd. But I still left feeling pretty good that day and feeling pretty blown away, and that the Sondek is amazingly, worth it's pricetag. I think if I ever got that much spare money in life I'd actually get one.
rolleyes.gif
I learned a lot just from that little sit in too, beyond pricetags. It pretty much rocked my whole foundation and opened my mind up about speakers vs. headphones.

Same goes with the SCD-1 situation...I was in the store to primarily demo the 9000ES, and leave. Now it was already quite a mess to hook things up to the 9000 to demo it, and I was pretty much done and packing my R10s when the saleman asked "You want to listen to the SCD-1 over there?" and I took a moment before saying Yes.

The things I learned just from these two situations is enough to keep me saying Yes to any other similar situations for the rest of my life. As someone mentioned earlier, it helps me to stack my own system up against something much more expensive to see where I'm at. Then I can pace how far ahead something that costs more really is...a whole lot, or just a little. The SCD-1 was just a little. The Sondek just kicked my 9000ES and the SCD-1 to the curb and then some.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The other thing that's even more important to keep in mind is the simple fact that life is full of opportunities. You never know, you just might end up with this kinda stuff someday. Just a year or two ago the R10s were absolutely ludicrous to me, and what the hell were these overpriced things called headphone amps. The shoes on the other foot now.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
I am beginning to think that some of you forget what the question is.

"Would you listen to it",
as in,

"Would you, given the circumstances(scenario), at the given time according to the scenario, remembering that the circumstances would be different than they really are, thus perhaps producing a different answer than the one you would probably choose beeing a head-fier, listen to it?"

blaaah...

Um, no i didn't forget what the question was/is/can be/should have been or what it connotates in any given time period whether its past, present, future.

I hate when people ASSUME things. Don't assume. Given the circumstances, being a newbie and all if i had the opportunity to listen to that specific setup:
YES I WOULD STILL LISTEN TO THE F@N THING!

And why not? No one is really answering why they wouldn't listen to it.

Why doesn't someone here explain why they chose "no"

And why wouldn't i? That's what makes us all human: curiousity.

I may want to know what a Orpheus sounds like, but it's not gonna get me depressed over buying a $25 or sink me into this hobby too deep (ie. Broke ass b$tch). And no, the question isn't all that tricky, unless the salesman is the devil....is he the devil? Because for the Orpheus and maybe, just maybe, Charlize Theron or Tyra i'll switch sides
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken

You sure you dont have a Foster's with you eh? I have no clue what your talking about
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 47
I'm a gadget freak, so yes. Also the fact that is is $16k would push me even further towards it. My mind would be going "Is this guy REALLY going to let me touch this obviously expensive and very shiny (I'm atracted to shiny things, dunno why) peice of equipment?"

I mean, the thing looks really cool to me, despite being called a collision between two toasters and the lighting department at Lowes.

I'll always take a free demo, unless the item being demoed is an electric chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back