Would You Buy A 3D TV?
Apr 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #17 of 65
This is a gimmick. It's just another way for the companies to overcharge us. I'm still waiting for the next jump in televisions before making a major tv purchase. Though I am curious if calibrating a 3D set would be different from the normal sets.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Region2;6554841[B
]This is a gimmick. It's just another way for the companies to overcharge us. [/B] I'm still waiting for the next jump in televisions before making a major tv purchase. Though I am curious if calibrating a 3D set would be different from the normal sets.

^^this. not even a year ago all they talked about was hd. i even hear the local news taling about being in hd
confused_face.gif
really, is the local news gonna be any better in hd? lol
darthsmile.gif
and people go out and buy these new tvs, only to hear there's another new thing. no thanks, same reason why i won't buy blue ray either. it's gonna be obsolete in no time for some other new thing.

i won't even buy a hdtv. i have an old tv in my room, i like it, i'll replace it when it breaks. if i can get a 'regular' tv for cheap, i will. i never understood this whole thing.
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ForgottenxxRebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no thanks, same reason why i won't buy blue ray either. it's gonna be obsolete in no time for some other new thing.

i won't even buy a hdtv. i have an old tv in my room, i like it, i'll replace it when it breaks.

The funny thing is how fast TV drop in price. My dad's 35" Mitsubishi was 3000 back when it first came out--not that I don't think of ways to steal it off my old man so I can have an analog room in my house. My Samsung was 3000 when it came out and now I see it for 1000. I thought HD was a scam until I visited a buddy of mine and I saw his HD set and then he caught me in an embarrassing position where I was so closed to his TV to check out the picture he thought I was licking the screen (I'm still not sure if I was subconsciously going to do this if he had not stopped me).

HD I don't really find a scam, but it all depends on if the quality of the picture matters to you. I don't buy bluray, but since friends buy them for me as presents, I won't turn them down
biggrin.gif

Forgottenxxrebel, by the time your TV breaks down, I'm sure you'll get an amazing set for pennies on what us first adapters paid for
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Region2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD I don't really find a scam, but it all depends on if the quality of the picture matters to you.

The Pacific playing on HBO right now is a good enough reason to own a HD TV, granted cable is only 720p but it looks fantastic! ~ Speaking of which cable hasn't even caught up to 1080p and manufacturers are already moving onto a different format, thats just ridiculous! Give me my 1080p cable, 100gBit Internet and then and maybe then we can't start thinking about this 3D kerfuffle.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pacific playing on HBO right now is a good enough reason to own a HD TV, granted cable is only 720p but it looks fantastic! ~ Speaking of which cable hasn't even caught up to 1080p and manufacturers are already moving onto a different format, thats just ridiculous! Give me my 1080p cable, 100gBit Internet and then and maybe then we can't start thinking about this 3D kerfuffle.

The Pacific is brilliant. Band of Brothers is the only Bluray I've bought for myself, the rest were gifts. And it looks amazing. Though I have to say thank goodness for closed cans when watching a war movie
atsmile.gif

And ahhh the internet. Don't remind me. Sometimes I wish I lived in Korea where they have 14mbps on their phones when a lot of us don't even have that off a line land.
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #23 of 65
No. After trying it at a Sony demo, I was not impressed. I agree that it is a gimmick. HD is real enough. 3D actually makes it UNreal. I could go in depth, but 3D has a long way to go.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #24 of 65
It's still '50s technology to me until they get rid of the glasses!

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #25 of 65
No. I will not buy one. I can understand increasing the resolution of an image, making better screens with more accurate colours and better energy efficiency, but forcing people to wear strange glasses and relying on a visual gimmick to make a movie enjoyable is beyond a joke. I do enjoy the odd 3D film (e.g. My Bloody Valentine), but I would see these kind of films maybe once or twice a year and that is enough for me. What happened to good cinematography, good directing, good scripts and good acting?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #26 of 65
Oh, I would buy one... For $100 behind an electronics store.

Hilariously expensive to jump into right off the bat (note, glasses) and I don't like half of the current movies available for it. When prices go down and more content becomes available, yeah, it'd probably make for a nice experience every now and then.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #28 of 65
I forgot to mention the sorest point. If the price point of these sets plus the cost for those ugly glasses weren't insulting enough, they don't even work with different sets. As much as I am curious to see what the World Cup will be like in 3D. I rather watch it on a regular TV and use that 3D money to fund my future trip to Brazil for World Cup 2014
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back