Would You Buy A 3D TV?
Apr 13, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Speaking of which cable hasn't even caught up to 1080p

And it probably never will due to the amount of bandwidth it requires.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today, I saw the Masters recorded in 3D on a 3D TV in HD. It was interesting given that the broadcast technology is just beginning

In this thead at least, I'm one of the few that is excited about 3D, and sports are a big part of that. The 3D Masters coverage reviews I've read, have done nothing to temper that. Televised golf benefited greatly from HD, so even a partial leap would be worth it me.

With all that in mind, I still plan to wait a while. I worry whether the original, not converted, content will be there for this interation. As for the tech itself, sign me up.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #33 of 65
Possibly, years from now, if the market shifts to a point where the 3d version is like a hundred bucks more than a 2d set with comparable features and picture quality.

I'm not a gamer, and 3d in films seems to be an excuse for not having a story, plausible dialog, or good acting.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #34 of 65
I will when they do the adult red hot channels in 3D..........

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #35 of 65
Nope!

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #36 of 65
No, not at all interested in 3D for the home! At the theaters and in intervals of the experience its cool and worth the extra ticket expense, on occasion.

Early adopter expense (display, cables, blueray player, STB and provider content cost) as well as knowing they(providers) are NOT delivering true 1080p and what is delivered in 1080i & 720p is a substandard data stream all to often compromised due to compression, and simply put, a lot terrible programing with weak story lines of questionable viewer value at present, collectively has my hopes dashed for 3D delivery, imo&e !

The value and promise of true HD of course, is with LARGE displays, for which it was developed. I get an incredibly sharp picture with my upscaling 1080p projector against an 8 foot retro-reflective pulldown screen and highly cost effective too ( $2,000 ); Great for sports in HD 720p or 1080i (upscalled ) though again, the provider data compression is not what it could be if the FCC mandated standards or educated endusers demanded quality over quanity of broadcast stations in provider packages when comparitive shopping ! Reminds me exactly of low quality audio where there seems to be next to no demand for quality , just more, more sensational crap !

Though actually, now that the hardware has matured and has become cost effective for HD widescreen with a 2D projector, I'm quite satisfied without 3D in the home, though that may change in 5 years and 3D too evolves likewise ! Not at all a desire here, now or in the near future
wink.gif

But, providers please give us true uncompressed 1080i FIRST !

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holding out for 3-d holographic projections!

Display marketing has that hardware on schedule to enter the consumers home where upon 51% market saturation of in the home 3D hardware upgrades are complete
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #40 of 65
If I was in the market for a TV right now, I would give them a look. However, my HD displays are still working, so I am not about to move on just for 3D. HD, for me, was a huge step up from SD and made nearly every program better. 3D, in comparison, is just an added feature that would get very little use for now...

I am not sure it is better than 2D for anything other than animation, either.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As soon as a 3D front projector is available!

Which will probably be 2012

I'm afraid we'll all be dead by then.
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid we'll all be dead by then.
frown.gif

yeah, about that, what part of 2012 is the apocalypse coming? I want to make sure I get a good view, or at least catch it on my holograph suite.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, about that, what part of 2012 is the apocalypse coming? I want to make sure I get a good view, or at least catch it on my holograph suite.

It's coming in 2011. Get your science right.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Region2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funny thing is how fast TV drop in price. My dad's 35" Mitsubishi was 3000 back when it first came out--not that I don't think of ways to steal it off my old man so I can have an analog room in my house. My Samsung was 3000 when it came out and now I see it for 1000. I thought HD was a scam until I visited a buddy of mine and I saw his HD set and then he caught me in an embarrassing position where I was so closed to his TV to check out the picture he thought I was licking the screen (I'm still not sure if I was subconsciously going to do this if he had not stopped me).

HD I don't really find a scam, but it all depends on if the quality of the picture matters to you. I don't buy bluray, but since friends buy them for me as presents, I won't turn them down
biggrin.gif

Forgottenxxrebel, by the time your TV breaks down, I'm sure you'll get an amazing set for pennies on what us first adapters paid for
tongue_smile.gif

i was at best buy recently(looking to see what they had in Head-Fi approved portable iems
wink.gif
) and i was surprised at the hd prices. i remember when they were a special section and had four digit prices. then again look at dvds. my parents bought an over $150 dvd player back at the beginning of the decade. now i have one for the tv in my bedroom that was around or under $50.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pacific playing on HBO right now is a good enough reason to own a HD TV, granted cable is only 720p but it looks fantastic! ~ Speaking of which cable hasn't even caught up to 1080p and manufacturers are already moving onto a different format, thats just ridiculous! Give me my 1080p cable, 100gBit Internet and then and maybe then we can't start thinking about this 3D kerfuffle.

i think that's why i'm not impressed. the tvs look nice in the store with the nature programming that must be a dvd. but the hdtvs i've seen in real life are disappointing. i've only seen cable and it sucks. some of the channels like sports channels have really blurry kinda breaking up picture and what's not hd is in analog and looks fuzzy. i saw some of the olympics in hd, the hockey games didn't look much better. especially with the 'try again' messages popping up on screen from the cable box.
frown.gif
with a really great tv service thats 1080p it would look good, but as long as its crappy cable with analog channels it's not. they should work on that first before doing 3D.

question: if i see blocks on 2D hd right now, does that mean i'll see cubes on 3D hd?
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back