Would the 595's benefit with the use of an amp?
Mar 2, 2004 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
I never bought that Pimeta and was planning on running the 595's unamped, but started thinking if an amp would greatly enhance their sound. They are supposedly easy to drive right? So before plopping down another $175, just want to see if it's worth it.

Mar 2, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 20
You should probably wait a couple more weeks before asking this question... I don't think anyone's received their HD595's yet
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 20
Lini and one other member has. I was basically asking based on the specs, if it looks like it may need one or if it will be similar to the 590's and sound good unamped.

Mar 2, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 20
Honestly, I never really cared much for the 590's - with or without an amp. Something just seemed not there or is not coherent in the sound every time I listened to the 590's.

Mar 2, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 20
Well let's hope that's not the case with me and the 595's
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 20
I don't expect the HD 595 to sound too similar to the HD 590.

graphCompare.php

attachment.php

But caution: the two curves have originated in a wide chronological distance and obviously under different measurements conditions.

peacesign.gif

Mar 2, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 20
HI: I use a amp on my 590s a meta42 and am having a PPA made fore my 595s. I hope to have the 595s tomorrow.

Mar 2, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 20
Jbroad: Driven by what exactly?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Well I went ahead and bought the Pimeta, if it's not needed then I'll just sell it. I won't have my 595's for 8-11 days. I ordered from Jan Meier. Well at least I can listen to the reviews until they get here. Ltucci, I'm very curious to hear how they will sound with the meta. Do you notice any noticeable difference with your 590? Lini my Powerbook will be the source.

Mar 2, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 20
Jbroad572
HI: I feel that the 590s sound way better with a amp. The 590s with out a amp sounds bloated bass and not very exciting. With a amp the 590s have great bass and are more forward sounding with smoother highs. When I use my 590s with my portable minidisc at 5 m/w out put it is real bad but when I add the super mini amp V6.2D they sound great. To me a amp is very necessary and that is why I am having a PPA made. My 595 didn't get to headroom today but should be there tomorrow. Now the 595 are more efficient than the 590 but I still bought a great amp just fore the 595. Now this might not be a necessary thing to do but I think it will blow me away. When I say efficient I mean the 590 at 97 d/b and the 595 at 104 d/b When Xin sells the super duel amp I might get that fore my portable use also. I feel that you get the home and portable cans that suite your needs to a high extent then you get a home amp that is great and then a portable amp that is great. Then listen to the music.

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
Jbroad:

i suggest instead of an amp, cleaning up your source. i have a powerbook and the headphone jack is crap.
i'm getting a soinca to help with the source

as the saying goes "crap in, crap out"

Have you picked that up yet? I will be getting that or either the echo indigo. I will prob go with the Sonica since it's much cheaper and looking at the review on the echo, it seems it's not that much of an upgrade. According to a few reviews the PB headphone out is pretty good and the echo indigo didn't really improve the sound too much except on dvd's, I believe. I wish I could try one out and send it back if I'm not impressed. Guess I'm hoping you do it first,
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 20
Why dont you guys get the Total or Un-Total Headroom Bithead??

I am fairly confident it will TRUMP any other sound card out there for notebooks in terms of sound quality...

Its a portable amp to boot and I am sure it will go well with the HD-595...think about it...a source AND amp in one little portable box which can be used with batteries OR with a wall wart $14.00 power supply...

Thats my kind of solution to this problem
smily_headphones1.gif

I have used the Total Airhead with the HD-580's with no problems...the HD-595 will be a piece of cake!!

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 20
I was going down the total bithead route, but I was advised by Headroom it wouldn't drive headphones like the Beyer 250-250 and AKG271 as well as they could be driven. Because of that i've ordered an m-audio sonica and a PIMETA. It should be a decent source and a more powerful amp than a bithead, plus it's easier to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back