Would appreciate guidance - odd combo - IEMs for the Gym and general use - decent budget ~$200
Feb 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kick6WDE

New Head-Fier
Hello, first post, been lurking for a while and finally joined.  Found the site while researching the KEF M200...my search has led me to multiple options in addition to the KEF M200 including RHA MA750, GR07 MK2, DN-1000...and several others.

Currently I only have the iPhone 5 Earpods and an entry level Bose set designed for audio and mobile - phone calls / music etc.  They are either the IE2 or its predecessor...

I would like to use the new earphones in the gym, predominantly while weight lifting and cycling...not a lot of running.  However, I don't want to compromise on sound quality like it seems probably with what is available in the "sport" genre of earphones.

Music-wise I am pretty eclectic in my tastes...I come from more of a classic rock preference both acoustic as well as harder rock...wide group from Eagles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen, I like Southern Rock and country rock, bluegrass as well, and I like sounds like Red Hot Chili Peppers etc...all to say that I am not in a narrow genre of music and trying to match an earphone for it.

Would like some help jumping in (or pushed in) and actually pulling the trigger on buying and enjoying vs. reading myself into oblivion...

Thx.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Etymotic IEMs offer great sound isolation and neutral response. The HF5 are well within your budget. The HF3 are the same with a 3-button microphone for use with iP... devices. Here is a review with more options (than you may want to consider)
etysmile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-310-iems-compared-dunu-dn-1000-added-02-12-14-p-862

Cheers... Brian

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your inputs.  I spent quite a bit of time sorting through the cool table of phones in the multi IEM review.  The Westone 3 is one that I looked at and I thought I would like it as well.  I didn't know that it would drop to that price on a sale...it seemed to be more in the $280 - $299 range when I looked.

I decided to buy the MA750i...with the reasoning that it gets very solid reviews for the price ($129) and the build quality made me feel good about using it in the gym everyday...and a 3 year warranty.  I have never had a decent set of IEMs so maybe this is a good first buy and I can learn some from it and target a higher end set for more home listening.

Thanks for the two replies (elisius and bms44974).

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 9
Hope you took a look at Aurisonic Rockets before you jumped on others :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks. I did consider the GR07's, but quite frankly I haven't heard either so I went on the build quality and how the reviews on this site detailed the 750 sound quality. They should arrive Monday. Will advise.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Kick6WDE, I am in literally the same situation - I am looking at the MA-750 for gym use and general great sound otherwise (I want to use the same pair of IEMs for the gym and at work, where I think having regular headphones looks tacky).

How have you been liking them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back