Worthy Of Consideration: ANC(Active Noise Cancellation) on the Road
Mar 9, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 63
For my screening/listening room at home.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #18 of 63
Upscaling to multichannel, synthesizing room acoustics, EQ, dynamic loudness correction, timing correction, a couple that I don't really know exactly what they do, but they work in some cases.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #19 of 63
Upscaling to multichannel, synthesizing room acoustics, EQ, dynamic loudness
correction, timing correction, a couple that I don't really know exactly what they
do, but they work in some cases.

Hmmm... Sounds like overkill. Have you measured the amount of noise, collectively, these processors add to the signal chain? What is 'dynamic loudness correction'?

And as far as 'timing correction' goes, do you personally sit in precisely the same position - within 1-2mm of X, Y, and Z values - for every listening session?

Mar 10, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #20 of 63
It’s not overkill because I don’t use them all at the same time. They’re all different tools for different purposes. They don’t add any audible noise because they’re digital, not analogue. Dynamic loudness control corrects for the way the human ear perceives bass. It’s less sensitive to it at lower volumes than it is at higher volumes. This dynamically applies a bass boost as you turn down the volume to keep the amount of bass consistent no matter what level. The timing correction is calculated according to the distances between the speakers. I enter the distance in feet. This is all pretty standard stuff on multichannel AVRs.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 63
It’s not overkill because I don’t use them all at the same time. They’re all different tools for different purposes. They don’t add any audible noise because they’re digital, not analogue. Dynamic loudness control corrects for the way the human ear perceives bass. It’s less sensitive to it at lower volumes than it is at higher volumes. This dynamically applies a bass boost as you turn down the volume to keep the amount of bass consistent no matter what level. The timing correction is calculated according to the distances between the speakers. I enter the distance in feet. This is all pretty standard stuff on multichannel AVRs.

I can achieve the same loudness thing at home, by increasing the bass at lower volume levels, and setting it flat for higher volumes.

Mar 11, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 63
I can achieve the same loudness thing at home, by increasing the bass at lower volume levels, and setting it flat for higher volumes.
That's more hassle and more imprecise than having automatic compensation. I miss the old loudness button (particularly when the amplifier manufacturer has implemented the function correctly based on the Fletcher-Munson curve) -btw, treble is also boosted at low listening levels, again according to Fletcher-Munson.

Mar 11, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #23 of 63
That's more hassle and more imprecise than having automatic compensation.
I miss the old loudness button (particularly when the amplifier manufacturer
has implemented the function correctly based on the Fletcher-Munson curve)
-btw, treble is also boosted at low listening levels, again according to Fletcher-
Munson.

I have a loudness button on my receivers, and also use them. I just don't need a 'digital' solution for every audio challenge.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #24 of 63
Not sure I'm a fan of this. Music should be background noise in a Car. Anything that pushes Audio more to the foreground is at the detriment of safety in my book. I'd rather concentrate on the road and driving than Music.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #25 of 63

This does it dynamically according to the volume level and closely follows the curve of sensitivity of the human ear. Even better, there's no need to get up and turn it on or off. It automatically corrects. I just leave it turned on all the time and it works. A loudness button is just one setting for some arbitrary volume level. Dynamic is much easier and more accurate than just a loudness button.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #26 of 63
This does it dynamically according to the volume level and closely follows the curve of sensitivity of the human ear. Even better, there's no need to get up and turn it on or off. It automatically corrects. I just leave it turned on all the time and it works. A loudness button is just one setting for some arbitrary volume level. Dynamic is much easier and more accurate than just a loudness button.

I.

Don't.

Trust.

It.

Fodder for the millennial generation.

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 63
OK Boomer.

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 63

I.

Don't.

Trust.
OK Boomer.

"OK Boomer" = "F- Y-" in these parts, bigshot.

Aren't you supposed to be at least a couple years older than me?

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 63
Chronologically perhaps. But I’m not a curmudgeon. I try to experience life in the here and now, not jam it into a box of the past. The past should inform the present, not limit it.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #30 of 63
Chronologically perhaps. But I’m not a curmudgeon. I try to experience life in the here and
now, not jam it into a box of the past. The past should inform the present, not limit it.

I don't adopt new methods quickly, or just to adopt them.

I wait, and calculate, and see how others adopt them.

And I get that from a lot of people who 10, 20, even 30 years older than me, whose attitudes are more Millennial than some Millennials(!), certainly, more embracing of new methodologies than this X-er.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back