Worth jumping in?
Jun 14, 2004 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking around for a pair of full size cans for quite a while now, having only owned the Shure E5s up til now. Last week I went into a local hi-fi shop and tried out the Grado SR-80s... and I loved them! The problem is that I tend not to be happy when i buy bottom of the range products!
biggrin.gif
I'll almost certainly not be able to audition any others in the range before buying, and as I live in the UK, where Grado products are stupidly expensive, I don't want to make the wrong decision. What I want to know, is whether it's worth buying a high end Grado, maybe even the RS-1, without having heard the sound? Are they pretty much the same as the SR-80s but better, or do they have a different sound entirely that I might not like? Do you think i might be better off sticking with canal-phones and getting the UE-10Pros? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Forgot to mention that my amp is an Ear+ Purist, and my source is some old Denon cd player... DCD-460 I think. I will be upgrading the source soon.

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
I'll almost certainly not be able to audition any others in the range before buying, I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Several Head-Fi sponsors offer 30-day return policy.
Quote:

What I want to know, is whether it's worth buying a high end Grado, maybe even the RS-1, without having heard the sound? Are they pretty much the same as the SR-80s but better, or do they have a different sound entirely that I might not like?

Yes and no.
biggrin.gif
All Grado headphones has the same sound signature: they are forward, tight, bright with a very good resolution. Hence each model is different and you can easily hear the differences (even on mediocre source) among plastic chambers of e.g. SR-80's, aluminum alloy chambers of SR-325's and wooden chambers of RS-1's.
SR-80's are good starters, however if you like Grado sound, you can save the money on upgrado if you buy higher models. Go with SR-225's, RS-1's.
Quote:

and as I live in the UK, where Grado products are stupidly expensive,

Consider Aleesandro headphones then: http://www.alessandro-products.com

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 12
I think you should go with SR-225s. The're only $200 US, whereas the RS-1 is $700 US. I do not think the difference between RS-1 and SR-225 is worth $500.

Do you have any friends who live in Germany? They could smuggle some PS-1s across the channel.
600smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 12
A lot of people feel that the SR-225 is the best value in the Grado lineup, including headroom. The SR-325s have better bass, but many complain about their brightness, which isn't as present in the SR-225s. Many also complain about the SR-60s and SR-80s being bright, so if you liked the 80s maybe the 325s would be up your alley.

Some things to consider: Cambridge soundworks currently has a coupon code: xtreme15 (or something like that) that will get you 15% off Grado SR-60s 80s and 125s, plus they have free shipping. The Allessandro MS1s are $100 with free shipping and are comparable to SR-125s, but not as bright. If you want to go for the SR-225 or above, Todd the Vinyl Junkie has 10% off all headphones. So matter what you don't have to pay retail
wink.gif

BTW-Todd also carries the PS-1s @ $1400

Jun 14, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 12
Thye are awesome. Right up there with Omega II, HD650 and R10 in the list of "best headphone ever"

There are too many people whining about them being uncomfortable, but I thought they were pretty comfy. The weight is good, it's not too heavy as to be annoying (HP-1000) but not so light that it slides around (SR-60).

And then there's the bragigng rights 'I have Grado PS-1, one of the best headphones in the world!"

Jun 14, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Well in that case I think I'll buy the SR80s for now, and start saving for the PS1. The genius of the plan is that i'll almost certainly not want them by the time i get the cash
rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
Seriously though, are the PS1s really good enough to justify the cost? I would consider them if they are.

Yes!
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
Seriously though, are the PS1s really good enough to justify the cost? I would consider them if they are.

Is any expensive headphone good enough to justify the cost? If you want the best rendition of the Grado sound that has come out of a Grado headphone to date, and have the money, then the PS-1 is worth the cost.

Jun 14, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 12
I owned the Grado RS-1 and I now own the Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO. First, define precisely what kind of sound you prefer. Second, research Head-Fi, HeadWize, and Singapore Headphones. Third, build a system around your source first.

For me, the Ue-10 PRO is a much better solution than the Grado RS-1. I sold the Grado RS-1 despite my passionate love affair with them because they were rather delicate and the tipped up treble energy was becoming more fatiguing to my ears. Furthermore, the fit and comfort of these cans due to the inherent design are not up to par as compared to the Ue-10 PRO or Sennheiser HD600 cans. So, I sold them. The Ue-10 PRO offers a much more accurate sound and it is super diminutive. They can work with portable sources or a reference system which I use them exclusively for. They offer 26dB of sound isolation which is a necessity given my neighborhood. Please refer to my two reviews in the headphone archive to get a picture of their sound characteristics. Ultimate Ears is an outstanding company to deal with and the Ue-10 PRO just ended my search for a better canalphone. Now, that Grado Professional Series-1 headphone is another story!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back