Worth Amping non-FLAC Source?
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aglets

New Head-Fier
Been looking into getting the E7+E9 combo as a cost effective way to get a clearer audio stream. Downside is, the majority of my audio is in 320kbps and it is not feasible to upgrade it to FLAC at this point. The loss of quality in my FLAC compared to my non-FLAC library is.. annoying, so I figure a DAC/amp will be the best way to improve audio at a reasonable cost. Is it worth it or no?

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Actually, the more I have upgraded the more I have noticed poor recordings and low quality rips.  Honestly, I can't always tell the difference between 320kbps and FLAC, but if the album had good production qualities to start with it seems to be more obvious.  Now as upgraditis continues I do find anything below 320kbps very hard to listen to which is unfortunate since my CD library got stolen several years ago before I understood what I was doing and have a lot of really low quality stuff.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 6
The difference between 320 kbps and FLAC is small enough to not be an issue for 95% of all listeners (and the remaining 5% are overexaggerating 
wink.gif
).

What headphones are you using? You may be better off with just the E7 or an E10, or something similar.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 6
When it goes under the 320 is when I begin to see glaring flaws, exceedingly so in 128, which some of my music lies in. I currently have SE215 IEM's, looking to invest in some CT-200 IEM's or ATH-M50 cans. I figured the increase of about 50$ for the added desktop would be worth it in the long run, especially if I can run in to a deal somewhere along the line.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
When it goes under the 320 is when I begin to see glaring flaws, exceedingly so in 128, which some of my music lies in. I currently have SE215 IEM's and SR 60i Grados, looking to invest in some CT-200 IEM's or Denon DN-HP700 cans. I figured the increase of about 50$ for the added desktop would be worth it in the long run, especially if I can run in to a deal somewhere along the line.

Price has absolutely no bearing on performance. For those headphones the E9 would actually be worse than the E10, due to higher noise levels, high output impedance, and more power than you will need. It's best for high impedance headphones with fairly low sensitivity, stuff that needs a lot of voltage.

If you're sold on the idea of the E7+E9, get the E7 now and use that alone, then get the E9 later on if you ever get a headphone that the E7 can't drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back