Worst thing you've done to your headphones?
Jan 10, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 91
I keep my a500's on my computer desk. Occasionally the cord will slip down to the floor, and I'll roll over it in my computer chair. Scares the bejesus out of me everytime, but no damage yet.

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 91
tried to mod some ksc-75's... didnt go right, pulled the wires off without desoldering them.. ended up pulling the whole resistor off... Few minutes later.. took a hammer and smashed them.. then remember Koss had a lifetime warranty
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 91
I chew on the cords of my headphones all the time (mostly just the one-sided ones - fortunately, I've managed to avoid chewing on my SR-60's, which I've read taste awful). I also do the usual dropping them, stepping on them, snagging the cords, etc...

The worst was probably when I almost sat on my SR-60's! Something else that I actually sat on made a 'click' and scared me half to death until I grabbed them and saw that they were okay.

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 91
Take them to pieces and trash them as soon as there's any hint of mechanical failure. Then again, that was before I started buying expensive headphones.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 91
I dropped my first HD-650. They hit the ground pretty hard, and the right driver became almost bassless. All other frequencies sounded normal, but the bass was just gone. I sent them in to Senn, and both drivers had to be replaced..
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #24 of 91
Over 30 years ago, when I was a High School student, I bought a pair of headphones, but I can't remember the model. They were circumaural; same basic shape as the Senn HD580/Gxx series, but very crude and simple.

I learned that headphone jacks did not power headphones correctly, but I did not know the details. So I plugged them into my power amp, which I think at the time was a pair of Dynaco 70's running in monoblock mode.

I literally smoked those phones! There were wisps of smoke coming out, with a bad burnt odor. I never hooked headphones up to a speaker amp again. It did force me to buy a pair of Koss Pro-4AA's, which were pretty decent dyna mic phones for the day.

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #25 of 91
Hmm... the worst I've ever treated my Sennheiser HD-477 was that (before I got the UM1's) I used to use them for my portable rig. They've been through sunshine, rain, and snow (no hail as of yet). Usually when it's raining I still weat them on my head, and I'm not always covering them, so they basically get a 'nice' little shower. However they've lasted so far, and still sound great.

For my JVC HA-D990, the worst was that sometimes I just leave the 1/4" plug hanging anywhere, and after a while it just drops to the ground which makes me all worried.

I also have a pair of RadioShack headset which I use for gaming, and I keep on running my chair over them. Everytime I notice and move them out of the way they just spring back and then I roll over then again.

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #26 of 91
I put a pair of mdr-7502s in the trunk of a car, and my friend put my UPS top of it. My UPS is an oldschool metal box with a car battery in it, weighs around 80 pounds.

We then drove for about 45 minutes. The results were not pretty.

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 91
One night after copious amounts of alcohol I awoke in a drunken stupor to relieve myself of the Chipotle burrito I had consumed earlier that night, unfortunately I mistakened my AKG 701s for the toilet...you can guess how this ends.

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #29 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
One night after copious amounts of alcohol I awoke in a drunken stupor to relieve myself of the Chipotle burrito I had consumed earlier that night, unfortunately I mistakened my AKG 701s for the toilet...you can guess how this ends.

Sweet good god, I do not want to know which end of you that burrito came out of.

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #30 of 91
Oh wow.. I've done so many unspeakable things to so many pairs of headphones (mostly crappy ones though, luckily).. I've chewed through cords, crunched iBuds, slammed wires in hinges, gotten headphones realllly badly tangled in my hair.. I've also dragged my laptop off my bed from walking away with my headphones on. SMASH!
biggrin.gif

While brushing my teeth I've dropped earbuds in the sink, heh. I've simply LOST some.. But the worst thing I've done is lend a pair of headphones to my brother. ;P

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua
I wore my headphones while making out with my ex.

hahahaha... Damn, I'm NEVER going to be able to sell them now, am I!

Wuaha, yes I have kissed my bf while wearing my SR 60s ;P He says I'm addicted to sound. Meh. He's right.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back