Worst Pink Floyd Album EVER?
Aug 1, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #107 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Pink Floyd are a bunch of talentless hacks that piece together notes in the studio. They couldn't play a song all the way through without overdubbing if their lives depended on it.

What?
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #108 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
The final cut may be a brilliant album, but it's also dark, depressing, and bottom line is that I don't like it. So it gets my vote.

You know...that's the thing that amuses me so much about the differences between people who like TFC and the people who actually despise it. Virtually everyone I've ever heard say that they absolutely hate TFC says that it's too dark, depressing and emotional.

Well......that's part of what I like about it. Life isn't all sunshine and roses for everyone. Some folks are depressed pretty much every second of their life. And thus, an album like TFC doesn't sound all that depressing to them. It feels normal to someone who spends most of their time depressed to hear someone else (who just happens to be famous) put their feelings to words and music in a way that's, somehow, uplifting when the last note fades.

TFC is mainly about pain and depression and despair. Some people feel those emotions and aren't afraid to admit it. TFC is a very moving experience for someone who "feels" the person who wrote those lyrics.

Oh, and I'd have to say that AMLOR is probably the worst PF album....just because I can't seem to get into it no matter how much I try to like it or how many times I listen to it. It does have some good songs on it though. It's really hard for me to pick any one PF album that I absolutely can't stand because I like almost all of them to some degree.

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #109 of 120
I have all the albums after Ummagumma and I have to say that Ummagumma is worst of them.

EDIT: How in the hell has Momentary Lapse of Reason got so much votes. It's a very good album and includes such a hits as Learning to Fly and Sorrow. Other songs aren't so bad eiter. Shame on you who voted this.
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #110 of 120
Albatross05 (Neat name, by the way, influenced by "Echoes"?):

I think that you make a good point about a few things. The issue is that, to many, The Final Cut doesn't portray the feelings you're describing. Roger Waters was never a good singer, and he never could dispense emotion like Gilmore could - when he started singing the overwhelming majority of songs by Floyd, the music started becoming almost a self-parody. There is a certain lack of authenticity in The Wall and The Final Cut - he may be putting his "angst" into the music, but to me, and many others, it just sounds stupid! There are plenty of musicians who COULD put angst, anger, and passion into their music - Bob Dylan, for example. But Roger Waters seems to ruin any slow-tempo'd music he comes into contact with, for me. It is most prevalent on this album.

I voted it as the worst album of Pink Floyd, because it wasn't really Pink Floyd, it was a collection of songs that were CUT from The Wall, but, most importantly, it is WAY too "accessible" (if you can call it that). I get true emotions from listening to Floyd's earlier works - where the MUSIC was the one doing the talking, and not Roger Waters' pathetic, whiny voice. Works like "Echoes" simply are more beautiful, and more artistic. The lyrics are more conveying of the emotion, while Roger Waters makes continuous pathetic attempts to rhyme words that don't deserve any such structure.

Quote:

Tell me true, tell me why, was Jesus crucified
Is it for this that Daddy died?
Was it for you? Was it me?
Did I watch too much T.V.?

Come ON! The opening LINES just made me LAUGH!

We wouldn't have seen these kinds of pathetic lines if Gilmore and Wright had as much control over the lyrics as Roger Waters did. This album in particular symbolized the downfall of Pink Floyd. Look at how terrible the actual contents of the lyrics are compared to other Pink Floyd albums!

If you're going to sing, you should use your voice as an instrument, and have half-decent lyrics. This album had neither.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #111 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Albatross05 (Neat name, by the way, influenced by "Echoes"?):

I think that you make a good point about a few things. The issue is that, to many, The Final Cut doesn't portray the feelings you're describing. Roger Waters was never a good singer, and he never could dispense emotion like Gilmore could - when he started singing the overwhelming majority of songs by Floyd, the music started becoming almost a self-parody. There is a certain lack of authenticity in The Wall and The Final Cut - he may be putting his "angst" into the music, but to me, and many others, it just sounds stupid! There are plenty of musicians who COULD put angst, anger, and passion into their music - Bob Dylan, for example. But Roger Waters seems to ruin any slow-tempo'd music he comes into contact with, for me. It is most prevalent on this album.

I voted it as the worst album of Pink Floyd, because it wasn't really Pink Floyd, it was a collection of songs that were CUT from The Wall, but, most importantly, it is WAY too "accessible" (if you can call it that). I get true emotions from listening to Floyd's earlier works - where the MUSIC was the one doing the talking, and not Roger Waters' pathetic, whiny voice. Works like "Echoes" simply are more beautiful, and more artistic. The lyrics are more conveying of the emotion, while Roger Waters makes continuous pathetic attempts to rhyme words that don't deserve any such structure.

Come ON! The opening LINES just made me LAUGH!

We wouldn't have seen these kinds of pathetic lines if Gilmore and Wright had as much control over the lyrics as Roger Waters did. This album in particular symbolized the downfall of Pink Floyd. Look at how terrible the actual contents of the lyrics are compared to other Pink Floyd albums!

If you're going to sing, you should use your voice as an instrument, and have half-decent lyrics. This album had neither.

LOL! OK...just for the sake of balance...let's review some of the dreadfully embarrassing lyrics penned by Dave.

Signs Of Life -

When the child like view of the world went, nothing replaced it...nothing replaced it...nothing replaced it...
I do not like being asked to.....i do not like being asked to... I do not like being asked to....

Other people replaced it
Someone who knows

One Slip -

A restless eye across a weary room
A glazed look and I was on the road to ruin
The music played and played as we whirled without end

Yeah...Dave's got some chops for lyrics(sarcasm). Dave's a great singer and a fantastic guitarist. Roger's a writer. Now granted, you couldn't pay me enough to sit here and listen to Roger's Ca Ira from start to finish! I listened to a small sample from it and that was about all I could take...or ever will.

Anyway....TFC, I suppose, is just one of those albums you love or hate. You clearly hate it. Whatever your reasons are, that's your business. I like it a lot and think it's one of the most underrated Pink Floyd/Roger Waters (whatever) albums.

And as far as Roger not being the greatest singer on the face of the planet....well, as you pointed out, plenty of singers could easily compete for the distinction of being the world's most unmusical singer. Bob Dylan sounds like someone's dog being tortured to me so there you go. And most of his lyrics are crap too as far as I'm concerned.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #112 of 120
Quote:

And most of his lyrics are crap too as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, but this is just an 'opinion' that, I have to say, is "dead wrong".

There are some questions as far as good lyrical qualities. Some people love the lyrics of Roger Waters - I can take that. But somebody who says that Bob Dylan's lyrics were "crap" truly has no idea what he is talking about. He would have never became popular unless people were listening to the words. I think you may just need time to have your tastes mature a bit, because it is quite obvious that, if you can find Roger Waters poetic, and not Bob Dylan, then you are a tad inexperienced.

Have you ever even heard a good Dylan song? Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands? Idiot Wind? Like a Rolling Stone isn't his best representation...

Nov 9, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #116 of 120
I had voted Ummagumma but would now gladly change it to The Final Cut after buying it and spending serious time hoping I could like it (and wasting that time apparantly)

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #117 of 120
Okay, subjective or not, anyone who thinks Dark Side is there worst album needs there head examined and should not be contributing to this thread.
Second, I think TFC is genius.
Third, i may get some backlash form this one, but Division Bell has been growing on me recently-give it another try theres some solid music on that album.
Lastly, I love PF, and appreciate all there music. Picking there worst for me, is like being asked to pick this years ugliest Penthouse playmate.
In other words, not an easy task.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #118 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Okay, subjective or not, anyone who thinks Dark Side is there worst album needs there head examined and should not be contributing to this thread.
Second, I think TFC is genius.
Third, i may get some backlash form this one, but Division Bell has been growing on me recently-give it another try theres some solid music on that album.
Lastly, I love PF, and appreciate all there music. Picking there worst for me, is like being asked to pick this years ugliest Penthouse playmate.
In other words, not an easy task.

I agree. I don't dislike David Gilmour at all. In fact, his voice (and his guitar playing) is what initially attracted me to Pink Floyd. I liked The Division Bell the first time I heard it and still like it a lot (Especially High Hopes).

And yeah...who could vote Dark Side as "worst PF album"? OK...so it's probably overplayed. I confess to being a little tired of it but I've been a Floyd fan for many years and have probably heard it thousands of times. Contrast that to being able to listen to pretty much anything else thousands of times from start to finish. Dark Side is, in the opinion of many, one of the greatest albums in rock history. Not much dispute there.

Nov 10, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #120 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I'm sorry, but this is just an 'opinion' that, I have to say, is "dead wrong".

There are some questions as far as good lyrical qualities. Some people love the lyrics of Roger Waters - I can take that. But somebody who says that Bob Dylan's lyrics were "crap" truly has no idea what he is talking about. He would have never became popular unless people were listening to the words. I think you may just need time to have your tastes mature a bit, because it is quite obvious that, if you can find Roger Waters poetic, and not Bob Dylan, then you are a tad inexperienced.

Have you ever even heard a good Dylan song? Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands? Idiot Wind? Like a Rolling Stone isn't his best representation...

Well...see. There you have it. Stings a little bit when somebody completely rags on an artist you're quite fond of, doesn't it? Actually, I've not listened to much Dylan and don't know enough about him to have an opinion on his lyrics. I just said that to make a point. And the point is that some people like Roger's music a lot and to see someone completely drag it through the mud is a little painful. LOL! Obviously, if you really like any particular artist and somebody just utterly trashes them, it's gonna get to you in a serious way. That's all. No offense intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back