Worst "high-end" equipment you've heard
Sep 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #317 of 435
Lunatique posted:-

Quote:
DX1000. The treble was very odd--far away and disjointed from the rest of the frequency range.

I didn't find that with my pair.

Could be differences in manufacture, differences in our hearing, or both.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #320 of 435
[size=10pt]This one is easy: Wilson CUBs.  I heard them years ago, and they were the worst sounding speaker I've ever heard.  They literally hurt my ears when I listened to them.  I could not turn them down quickly enough.  Even the salesman admitted that they were a little "hot."  I ended up at a different stereo store later that day and ran into some other customers who were also at the store that had the CUBs, and they agreed that they were terrible.  After the CUBs, I'd have to say any non-CAST Krell gear.  Just poor quality stuff and way, way overpriced.[/size]

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #321 of 435
Jeycam – I agree. GS 1000(i) are very hot headphones, highs are terrible and hardly overpriced. Same is true for PS 1000.

ZephyrSapphire – it depends what we define by high end. In headphones are K 701, HD 650, DT 880 high ends (classical)? I notorially use two terms, high end and super high end. HD 800, T1, D-7000 are super high ends when K 701 not. It is only the thing of words. K 701 are the headphones with good sound quality and with extreme performance to price ratio when several spoken models here are with very poor ratio. This is for me worth high end, expect the case when device sounds ugly.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #325 of 435

Quote:
Baby Orpheus and Sony MDR-R10

Oh, no, that's a no-go for me.  the HE60 is a brilliant headphone.  Aside from being the single most comfortable headphone ever made (go on, try me) it sounds unique and lovely.  In many ways, I prefer it to big brother.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #326 of 435

Quote:
Oh, no, that's a no-go for me.  the HE60 is a brilliant headphone.  Aside from being the single most comfortable headphone ever made (go on, try me) it sounds unique and lovely.  In many ways, I prefer it to big brother.

It is indeed quite comfortable but I didn't care for the sound signature. I can see why a lot of people like it but it didn't suit me. I'm not putting it down or anything, I just personally didn't like it.

Quote:
Really? Do you know if it was the bass heavy R10 or bass light.....also did you feel the HE60 was awful on its own or just a terrible baby version of the Orpheus supreme?

I'm sure it was the bass light version because that's why I didn't like it. NOT NEARLY ENOUGH BASS
basshead.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #327 of 435
one time i listened to some Grado GS1000s, i felt bad for the guy who brought them to the head-fi meet because for whatever reason my ears started killing me the second I put them on so I just had to take them off immediately and apologize

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #328 of 435
Strange - don't see Senn IE7-8 and Monster turbine in this list. Ususal mid-range IEM + PR = HiEnd pricing
smily_headphones1.gif
Whorsiest IEM in the world for their price.
But agree Grado 1000 anf Ultrasone E8 - "best choice" it this theme
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back