Worst "high-end" equipment you've heard
Aug 29, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #301 of 435
DavidMahler – Yes, Grado has very big problem with overpcising. I do not know if he strongly add branding insight price or BPMs (Business Process Management) there is miserable, but in compare with concurence Grado headphones are hardly overpriced. When you see SR 325i and PS 1000, grill is same, housing is same, driver is same. Same for SR 225 or RS1 and GS 1000. And very strong colouring says all. But similar problem is with Ultrasone. They are hardly overcosted too. Grado in EU costs similar prices as in USA but in ratio 1:1 between euro and dollar. It produces other terrible addition to customers price. And, not all Grado distributors do good work, good market presentation or retail. I think, John Grado need very deeply analyze business strategy, business performance and he need do important decisions.

Seamaster – Grado headphones are small puzzle for producers of amps. As they are very specific several amps does bad results with them. Casea Lyra found very good setup for Grado headphones (similarly as for other producers) but there is another problem. All „grado drawbacks“ are more lighted, amp show it more detaily. As I said, Grado apply very old concept and simple tunning is no way to success. For highest models RS-1 or PS 1000 Lyra delivers perfect addition but here is discutable the colouring facto - if you see colouring like „distuned“ sound then you hate grado headphones. When not, you can play the game with it. Grado headphones are „setted“ for specific sound characteristics, so it does more problems for setting amps. For RS-1 Lyra does the best result, for PS 1000 it is good too, but for GS 1000 it is terrible.

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #302 of 435

Quote:
DavidMahler – Yes, Grado has very big problem with overpcising. I do not know if he strongly add branding insight price or BPMs (Business Process Management) there is miserable, but in compare with concurence Grado headphones are hardly overpriced. 

If Grado headphones were way overpriced for what you get, you would not see so so many headfiers owning them. Johns seems to have a business model that works for him, or the company would not exist today.

Quote:
housing is same

no

Quote:
driver is same

got a reliable source for this?

Quote:
Grado in EU costs similar prices as in USA but in ratio 1:1 between euro and dollar. It produces other terrible addition to customers price

This I agree with. The US prices seems okey, but the european prices are a bit too high. My guess is that most of the european headfiers that have grado phones have bought them used or imported from the US.

Quote:sdsds
Originally Posted by neptius 

gghg/img/forum/go_quote.gif

DavidMahler – Yes, Grado has very big problem with overpcising. I do not know if he strongly add branding insight price or BPMs (Business Process Management) there is miserable, but in compare with concurence Grado headphones are hardly overpriced. When you see SR 325i and PS 1000, grill is same, housing is same, driver is same. Same for SR 225 or RS1 and GS 1000. And very strong colouring says all. But similar problem is with Ultrasone. They are hardly overcosted too. Grado in EU costs similar prices as in USA but in ratio 1:1 between euro and dollar. It produces other terrible addition to customers price. And, not all Grado distributors do good work, good market presentation or retail. I think, John Grado need very deeply analyze business strategy, business performance and he need do important decisions.

Seamaster – Grado headphones are small puzzle for producers of amps. As they are very specific several amps does bad results with them. Casea Lyra found very good setup for Grado headphones (similarly as for other producers) but there is another problem. All „grado drawbacks“ are more lighted, amp show it more detaily. As I said, Grado apply very old concept and simple tunning is no way to success. For highest models RS-1 or PS 1000 Lyra delivers perfect addition but here is discutable the colouring facto - if you see colouring like „distuned“ sound then you hate grado headphones. When not, you can play the game with it. Grado headphones are „setted“ for specific sound characteristics, so it does more problems for setting amps. For RS-1 Lyra does the best result, for PS 1000 it is good too, but for GS 1000 it is terrible.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
driver is same

Quote:
driver is same

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #303 of 435
I see Grado like this:

Their profit margin is huge. But it is only "overpriced" if you take performance into account. If someone likes the RS1s over, say, the D7000 (as I do) then it is not "overpriced" to them, even if the profit margin is higher.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #304 of 435
Anyone that thinks the drivers are the same hasn't actully seen a 225 compared to a MS1, 60, 80.  They look different.  Not sure to what degree the similarities and differences end exactly but a brief cosmetic look reveals differences.  If I had to guess they are more similar than different but not identical.  Thats why its not worth listening to the rantings of the ill informed who know everything based on Headroom FR graphs.

The housings certainly are not the same, that's just a stupid comment.  As expected.

Where Neptius is ignorant about economics is in niche markets.  When you have a unique niche sound and create a niche market for yourself it makes no fiscal sense to compete on the same ground as most of your indirect competitors.  By indirect I mean they have different corporate profiles, objectives, strategies.  Headphones are directly comparable goods but Grado and Sony are not comparable corporations.  At that point they become direct competitors and you have extended the corporate envelope of a family owned business to compete with larger Multi Nationals w/ exponentially larger resource pools.  Does that make sense?  No!  According to Neptiusonomics its perfectly logical to take a large financial risk w/ minimal gain.  Fail.  

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #305 of 435

Quote:

If Grado headphones were way overpriced for what you get, you would not see so so many headfiers owning them. Johns seems to have a business model that works for him, or the company would not exist today.

Grado has trained you guys to accept their stup*d prices. Want get grado house sound? Burn your wallet first.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #306 of 435

Quote:

I don't think thats true.  There's a ton of threads on modding budget Grados.  How many companies offer the degree of modding available to a $80-$100 Grado?

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #307 of 435
The reason for these speculations is very simple and rational. It needs to be presented for better understanding. Today a lot of devices are hardly overcosted, but it is very difficult to proof for some device if is overcosted or not. You can simply do it in special situation. This situation simply said happen. The Casea amp, DAC or Sirius module are very good devices which contain very serious high quality components, but the price is well related to objective costs of components so the performance to price ratio is very strong value. In first hand, this is only poor argumentation, but in second hand, it says about many other producers and devices from this class. You simply can compare this device with other producers, as reference information about performance or price. Because (for these devices) the quality is very serious and price small, you carefully see that several concurrence products are hardly overcosted. If it is up to 20 percent, it is normal – different regions, business situation etc. But if it is more then 40 or 50 percent then it is irrational. The same components from same brands are not able cost with so different price, expect exchange ratio. So one amp produced by brand A is not able cost 100 percent more as one by brand B. Same for DACs.

The reason why several products are so overcosted is fact that the customer base for these audio devices is much different as in other business areas. Here are the customers with much better salaries (more then average national salaries) so they are able pay more expensive devices. The user expect “sound quality” and if it find it he is absolutely NOT interested about rationality of the pricetag. In reviews are rarely analysed if the price is adequate or not. So here have been less interest by producers to optimize their BPM (Business process management), BI (Business intelligence), BP (business performance) etc. So here exists big gap for reducing the prices. If one producer does things effectively, then others are in problems to explain situation. Why Rudistor RPX-33 costs 1150 euro (resp. 1400 dollars) and Casea Lyra mk2 (without DAC) costs (at about) 750-800 dollars (depend on exchange between Czech koruna and dollar) and these devices are from same class and same type? Especially in case when here is assumption that Lyra is better and higher quality device as RPX-33.

If we consider other argument, that Casea company exists more then 15 years (more then Rudistor company, this is NOT last season company), and that this device is very serious quality (If It was not true then somebody serious (with very good technical knowledge) from head-fi would present serious information after my „repeated“ messages), and that this device is well known in Central European region (Poland, Hungary, Austria, Czech republic, Slovakia, partially Germany), it says that other producers and customers (consumers) obtain the example (true information) that very rational prices are possible. When you consider the argument that here are many trade, MOD or contributor users (head-fiers), who are related to business, who very carefully see what is spoken here, the information about the device which does things in very rational values is simply said very negative for him. Other producers are not so happy that here is somebody who does things effectively or one user presents information about this device, compare with standard well known one etc (exclude any speculations made again my person). Trades have agreements, but they can simply include other item to catalogue. Here are brand friends too who critically said, guard opinions or positions. But naturally, I not say concrete names because it will open space for absurd speculations.

So back to beginning, if here come person with presentation of very serious quality device but with very good price, people are not able to be quite. In first hand, you can think about speculative built quality („chinese“ one), but if you see the pictures of insight and you understand details, you see that this device is in second group – high quality products. Larger group of people here are NOT able to be quite. So the hysteria or paranoya started. This is rational explanation of psychological things. Most of users do not understand what is insight so if they see that somebody does well built high quality product and other one is simply “less” or “worth”, and then prices are different, then they can not be quite too - they feel that they are (have been) cheated.

Let’s came back to economy. As I said, the problem is that the producers of headphone audio devices have not optimalized their business strategies. This is concrete argument, fact, but very poor information in case when I not include other things. In first hand they are small brands (around one person, music lover or enthusiast), so they are not able pay very expensive consulting agencies or realize very complex business methodologies. But situation during crisis changed things (presents several hidden phenomena) and more and more users expect the solutions with effective performance to price ratio, so these customers (the most part of head-fiers here) require optimalized processes. This requires the changes in thinking, business approaches, communication with customers etc (include my spoken company). So this is the request for the change, to move things to rational business values – well used in other business areas. But we are not in the end, naturally.

When we see for example project A Smarter Planet, presented and promoted by IBM company:

http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/?cm_re=masthead-_-solutions-_-asmarterplanet
and specialized very effective methodologies like :

Retail - http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/consumer_advocacy/ideas/index.html?re=spf
Products - http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/embedded_systems/ideas/index.html?re=spf
Analytics - http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/business_analytics/ideas/index.html?re=spf
Work - http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/productivity_management/ideas/index.html?re=spf

we see that things are possible to be effective for everybody, for producers to have great profits, for retail companies, for order customers (consumers) too. Why the situation about audio devices is so different? The most of producers (expect very specific one) are very small for serious projects with company like IBM, to do things effective. If one company does BI, BP or BPM effectively, it is caused by very specific conditions or situation, low HR (human resources) costs, low energy costs, limited production, no luxuries, no marketing costs, no adverts ..., only basic web pages. So it says that new concepts and forms of communication, cooperation, retail and production need be applied today.

Back to basic topic from the point of customer, it is very good thing that somebody is able produce devices very effectively and it is shown here, because it is very good concurrence pressure for other producers to optimalize things, to find gap for reduction of the costs of BPM etc. In other hand, the speculants has much more difficult situation to argue that small addition (small progress step) requests so dramatic jump in price (for example Ultrasone Ed 10). From this point of view, my information is very good idea for everybody here. Simply said, the devices can be produced effectively and consumer is able obtain the device with serious quality and very serious price. Trade (retail) companies can include effective products to their catalogue, prefer effective solutions as lower one. Producers can accept that the things are possible and they only need analyze their business case.
Back to aim of this thread, Maier company is serious German producer who is very interested on satisfying customers. Mr. Meier is interested to produce high quality devices, he has concrete branding name, goodwill, so he is able simply analyze things and optimize them. In same order dr. Rudi Stor, Ray Samuels ... This is rational approach and concurrence is always the best thing for end point consumer. Simply said, all of you can request (require) this right behaviour. Same as said in pages about A Smarter Planet project. That’s all.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #310 of 435
Well that was an insightful post Mark. What exactly do you mean by that? If you mean "worst" is subjective, then do you care to provide an opinion?

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #311 of 435
[size=11pt]Naturally, here are producers from first and second group. Here are speculants who hardly overcost their products and mine from “specific” sound properties. Naturally one who presents devices with excellent performance to price ratio. I think when the reviews are written we need see these aspects, to speak about it much more as now. Ultrasone or Grado headphones are hardly overcosted. There is possible to do things more effectively and decrease significantly customer’s price down. The high end which is absurdly overcosted is simply the worth high end. These devices is the best not to purchasing. I think it is good idea to present for head-fiers which devices are in this group, to be informed. This is the pressure to producer to do things better for all of us, especially decrease the pricetag.[/size]

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #312 of 435
Probably an old thread, but I'm bored.

For me, high end is $400+ for headphones. For speakers about $1000+.

I once took the plunge and bought some $1000/pair Axiom speakers. I hated them from day one and they never got better. They constantly annoyed me.

I did what seemed like dozens of hours and hours of research on what to buy. There was one tiny review that described the model I bought as being really "bad" (out of dozens of positive reviews) but I ignored them.

After this one bad experience I now refuse to buy from any internet only "small" Speaker companies. I also now refuse to trust many reviews from online Audio/Home theater websites (forums are OK). Some of them will rarely ever give negative reviews to a speaker even if it's bad. What I always find funny is that people reviewing speakers will almost ALWAYS say "such and such sounds as good as speakers costing 5 times as much"! As if a $1000/pair speaker was that good of a deal to begin with.

With this bad experience I told myself from then on I'd stick to my "Big Brand" Speakers that are priced fairly and still sound decent. I know this sounds pathetic. Right now I'm using some Infinity P362  floorstanding speakers and some old JBLs in another room. I think the Infinity speakers cost me less then $200 each. I've even been impressed with my ancient JBL Northridge speakers which seem to cost almost nothing. I actually thought they sounded better then my new $1000 speakers. I regret not going with the B&W speakers I wanted instead (602 I think).

So I had these expensive speakers and my return by date expired. In total I probably used them for a month or two and then ended up going back to my old pair.

I also once spent $600 on a really good subwoofer based on just reviews and hated that as well. It just would not blend in to everything else no matter how hard I tried. I think it was a HSU sub. At least they didn't pressure me to keep it and tried to help. Right now my sub doesn't match my other speakers, but it's good enough for me right now.

Not saying any of these companies are bad and make bad products. I just had a bad experience. I guess this is why I now seem to prefer headphones! If you get a "bad" one it doesn't hurt the wallet as much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back