Worst "high-end" equipment you've heard
Sep 16, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #121 of 435
*** Long post warning. ***

It's kind of funny at the end, but don't skip ahead... here goes:

I think everything sucks except what I have.

No, not really. But I think there's a certain element of this kind of thinking, generally speaking, no matter what the subject matter is (and audio gear is certainly no exception).

Essentially, we all vote with our dollars. When you buy something, assuming that you're a rational person, the utility that you derive from that purchase is said to exceed that which you could have derived from the next best alternative use of those dollars.

As such, there tends to be a strong pre-attachment to most purchases that most people make. This is especially true for 'big ticket' items (relative to one's income and/or wealth). If it made your wallet "hurt" then you're more likely to get attached to it than if it cost you peanuts.

Likewise, this emotional/psychological attachment tends to be extremely strong with respect to luxury goods (i.e., those that you are most likely to feel a need to "justify" in your mind). Thus, for example, the typical person is more likely to be strongly attached to his/her $20k headphone system (headphones, amp and source) than he/she would be to his/her $20k car (which is a 'necessity' and not nearly as exotic or "high end" as other cars that are available). For the same money spent, we tend to get a bigger "kick" out of the item we "needed" less and thus was purchased more for ego satisfaction than true need satisfaction.

But wait, we're talking about the "worst" high end gear we've ever heard. Ahh, true, but as it turns out, the converse of all of this is true as well. That is, the more something costs and the more "hyped up" it gets by those who love it (insert your least favorite pair of headphones, or speakers, or amp here), the more inclined you will be to judge it harshly when it fails to meet your perception of great sound. In other words, it's the "Why would someone spend so much money for that?" reaction that I'm talking about.

Thus, for example, the R10s and HE90s, tend to be easy targets. Both are extremely high priced and extremely well thought of (generally speaking) by hundreds of Head-Fi'ers who have been blown away by them. So... if, for whatever reason and on the basis of whatever performance metric you deem most important, your audition of such headphones leaves you less than fully satisfied, the R10 or HE90 will suddenly become the "most over rated" or "worst high end" headphone you've ever heard. In other words, expectation plays a big role here - not just price/performance expectations, but also expectations based on the "hype" that you've read on Head-Fi about whatever product.

Mind you, by "you" I'm referring to the all-inclusive you (including myself). In other words, if someone were to hand me their favorite pair of headphones at a Head-Fi meet, and excitedly say, "Hey! You've got to hear these! Check out that amazing bass. I want your opinion..." What the heck can I possibly say? "They suck! That bass sounds over-bloated and totally unrealistic!" Why would I ruin someone's buzz like that? To their ears and for their musical tastes and preferences, these headphones sound amazing! Good for them, I say! While I'm not afraid to give my honest opinion, I don't see any need to throw arrows at a happy man.

So getting around to my point, I find these kinds of threads to be pretty much useless; not only useless (as I've observed elsewhere in the "most over-rated" or "most under-rated" types threads), but potentially "harmful" to the frail egos of those who have spent an unusually large amount of their disposable income on a treasured pair of headphones, or speakers, or amp, only to find that others think they totally suck.

The G08, GS1000, and Edition 9, as examples, have all taken their lumps in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this was intentional or mean spirited. I don't think that anyone, in offering their honest opinions, was attempting to "discredit" these or any other "high end" products. Instead, I think they were saying, "You know... I just don't get it... the G08, GS1000, or Edition 9 simply doesn't do it for me... maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it..."

So in that context, this kind of thread really isn't "harmful" at all, and hopefully nobody here at Head-Fi will have invested so much of themselves on an emotional level into any particular item(s) of audio gear that they will take someone else's opinion as an insult... because that would just be silly!

So having said all of that, I wanted to quote one particular line from this thread and then pose some follow up questions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really disliked the MBL 9006 amps paired with MBL 101e speakers. I heard them a few times and for that much money the sound was cold and very mechanical, not something I expected from gear of that caliber.

Are you out of your #@%ing mind?!?!?
biggrin.gif

Do you know your a#% from a hole in the ground?
popcorn.gif

Do you not know the most amazing sounding audio gear in the world when you hear it?
tongue_smile.gif

What's wrong with you, man?!?!?!
wink.gif
Did your mama drop you on your head or something?
evil_smiley.gif

Or was it just a poor room setup and played at a volume that was way too loud, as is usually the case for MBL demos at the big shows?
confused.gif

No, I'm not emotionally attached to that $90k (plus) that I've burned on MBL gear (not counting cables). Not me! Heck, I even got great deals on that gear!
beerchug.gif

*** End of long post, and of the long set up to get to the rather lame punch line... MBL is just another easy target, like the R10 and HE90... or so I keep telling myself. For the record, I really was only joking. That's why I made the questions as absurd as I possibly could, such that nobody could possibly take me seriously. Because I couldn't possibly be serious, could I? He he... no, I'm not. Just joking. True story. ***

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #122 of 435
Wmcmanus, I think much of your post is spot on - reletively speaking, much of the equipment listed in this thread is not that it's so bad but rather it failed to meet the listener's expectations (or personal preferences).

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #123 of 435
I think WMC's post is also right on on the money. But another factor plays a role in this in that when auditioning audio (or anything similar), there are so many things that play a role in how one will perceive the experience. Like how we all know one piece of gear might sound like crap in one system, but will sound like audio nirvana when in the right one. Beyond the expectation is also the limitation that limited time and experience brings to the table. Many products are geared to stand out from the first experience, like you might pick out the speed and detail of the SA5Ks, or the bass of the PS-1s, the soundstage of the K701s, the kick of the RS-1s. But what brief audtions don't and can't give you is time to get a detailed awareness of the sound. Sometimes an element won't strike you until you suddenly and unexpectedly recognize it during a listening session - usually after living with it for a while. And this briefness spells trouble for gear that takes a while to work its charm on a listener. I remember one review of my R10s, for example, saying that their first impression was that no one thing particularly stuck out as making it great, but with extended listening it just started to sound more 'right' than any other headphone they'd heard. Of course, some of this has to do with how our minds perceive new things as opposed to familiar things (this applies to everything, not just audio). So a piece of gear you've listened to for 1 hour will likely sound very different after a year of listening to it, and not just from burn-in.

Anyway, more or less I'm just backing up what Wmc says with some alternate reasons for why people might perceive something as overrated, especially with limited time listening to something.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #124 of 435
I would have to say anything by grado, tannoy, and bose are the worst things I have heard. I would have to say that although grado is popular I can't stand them and bose always meant to me "Bring other sound equipment".

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #125 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by clownjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to say anything by grado, tannoy, and bose are the worst things I have heard. I would have to say that although grado is popular I can't stand them and bose always meant to me "Bring other sound equipment".

We're talking high end here, and Bose is not high end.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #126 of 435
The likely cause must have been system synergy and/or room acoustics (though it was a well treated and proportioned, dedicated dealer listening room), but the worst I have heard was a pair of Dynaudio Evidence Temptations. They were drive by an all-Krell front-end with Krell monoblock amplification. Wires were all top-of-the-range Transparent.

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #127 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B&W 801. Boomy crappy shyte. They might have needed better room placement or more burn in but at both places I heard them at, they were hideous. JMLAB Utopias... Oh Holy Hell, What is the world coming to? what a harsh and cheap sounding speaker! totally inorganic. I dont get it? Wilsons are OK but highly overpriced and boring. hmmm what else... Those are the worst offenders that I can think of at this moment.

only when mated to inadequate amplification and/or improper speaker placement and room acoustics.

I've heard them in listening rooms where I thought they sounded muddy, harsh, thin and immaculate...when the amp, placement, acoustic is done right

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #128 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you out of your #@%ing mind?!?!?
biggrin.gif

Do you know your a#% from a hole in the ground?
popcorn.gif

Do you not know the most amazing sounding audio gear in the world when you hear it?
tongue_smile.gif

What's wrong with you, man?!?!?!
wink.gif
Did your mama drop you on your head or something?
evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #129 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many newer dacs that are highly touted here and elsewhere, benchmark, lavry... these have a treble glare and haze that makes them tough to listen to after about an hour. Give me a good 10-15 year old dac with a well made output stage over these modern marvels anyday.

I know what you mean about the haze, I felt the same way about the Lavry.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #130 of 435
Went to this audio shop back home. Got to audience Grace M902 with GS1000 and Roksan CDP. The power cable is the size of my 1 yr baby hand. Whole set up cost like 6k USD. I set down the headphone after listening to it for like 1 min. The sound is very very neutral....lifeless and transparent. Way too transparent. For some purist, this might be an orgasm. For me its just a waste of money

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #131 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by forbigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went to this audio shop back home. Got to audience Grace M902 with GS1000 and Roksan CDP. The power cable is the size of my 1 yr baby hand. Whole set up cost like 6k USD. I set down the headphone after listening to it for like 1 min. The sound is very very neutral....lifeless and transparent. Way too transparent. For some purist, this might be an orgasm. For me its just a waste of money

You thought the GS1000 was boring/neutral but like the K701? That's pretty interesting. I wonder if it's the source/amp or just that the GS1000 varies even more than I thought. Or maybe the K701 that varies?

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #132 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as Headphones go I think that one of the worst "High End" products is the Audio Technica ATH-L3000 leather heads. Possibly the best looking headphone, but to my ears it so colored (as in midrange centric) that it's un-listenable. Oh and the wings hurt my head.

x2. I have heard it several times now and again yesterday on my rig. I don't understand the love for this headphone at all. It is hollow and empty and has no body. Every AT I have heard (AD2000, W5000, L3000) sounds bizarre and not even close to live music. Some of the weirdest coloration I've ever heard in a headphone is on the L3000. People say it has great bass slam and dynamics but I don't hear it at all.

The UE9 is another one I just don't get. The treble and mids sound smooth and somewhat pleasing but there isn't much of a soundstage. It's very closed in and the pressure these phones put on my ears is unbearable. The bass is possibly the worst muddy mess I have ever heard from a "high-end" headphone. There is no bass detail whatsoever. Much like the high-end Grados, I don't understand where Ultrasone comes up with their pricing structure.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #133 of 435
Ahh, someone bumped this glorious thread.

Some memories... The first time I listened to a small pair of Sonus Fabers, they sounded like crap. However, I think they'd just got them in the shop and were still trying to work out the best set-up for them. Bosendorf speakers, if they aren't arranged well in a large room, sound awful too.

I'll throw in a controversial one: The HD-800s. They are truly "these are a waste of money" inviting if the amping is crap or you like you colouration too much.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #134 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I have heard it several times now and again yesterday on my rig. I don't understand the love for this headphone at all. It is hollow and empty and has no body. Every AT I have heard (AD2000, W5000, L3000) sounds bizarre and not even close to live music. Some of the weirdest coloration I've ever heard in a headphone is on the L3000. People say it has great bass slam and dynamics but I don't hear it at all.

I was a bit underwhelmed when I first heard the L3000 myself (save for its bass and drum presentation), but now I absolutely love everything about it. Getting to that point however, took a lot of trial and error in terms of re-cabling / amplification.

Like others have previously stated, I think getting the right synergy really is the case for a lot of these disliked headphones. High-end headphones are just more finicky than normal. Of course if the AT signature isn't your thing, that still probably won't help much. Although it will definitely fix the "hollow and empty" etc sound you're talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, someone bumped this glorious thread.

Some memories... The first time I listened to a small pair of Sonus Fabers, they sounded like crap. However, I think they'd just got them in the shop and were still trying to work out the best set-up for them. Bosendorf speakers, if they aren't arranged well in a large room, sound awful too.

I'll throw in a controversial one: The HD-800s. They are truly "these are a waste of money" inviting if the amping is crap or you like you colouration too much.

Haha, it was definitely fun going through all the old posts.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #135 of 435
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard Peak Consult El Diablo floorstander speakers that cost almost $70K. All I have to say is that I know quite a few speakers that are around $5K that I'd rather take over the El Diablo, regardless of price. I wouldn't say 'the worst ever', but very underwhelming.

That Sooloos music server, in my estimation, is the worst rip-off EVER! Anyone who buys that thing gives music lovers a bad name. You have to run it through an outboard DAC anyway, so why don't you just use your Mac Mini or Squeezebox or something?! Only people I envision purchasing this are the old fools who have wives that have collagen lips and fake boobs.

Man that is harsh; but I do agree that a Mac Mini makes a great transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back