Worst Discovery of my life, new headphone recommendations now needed :(
Aug 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dan1121

New Head-Fier
I have just checked through the majority of the songs properties on my ipod and found that a large amount of my songs are not even 320 kbps, and a lot are in the 200s and even 100s. With this in mind, what headphones do you recommend around the £100 mark, and would you more strongly recommend a portable amp?
Thanks in advance

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

The amp is not needed, unless the headphone needs more driving power than the ipod can supply. So it sounds like you need a relatively forgiving headphone. But there's a lot more to consider. And instead of spending so much on a headphone, how about you get started on getting your music collection into a higher state of quality? Strive to get closer to that 320kbps mark. Re-rip your CDs. Re-download them if you did it that way. Whatever it takes. Get a higher quality source ASAP.

1. Type of music(s)?
2. Prefer neutral, colored, bassy, bright, etc? What kind of sound pleases your ears?
3. Does it need to be portable too? Or can it just be full size and whatever goes?
4. Preference to ear pad type? Pleather? Velour?

Very best,

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 13
100kbps and 200kbps songs means something definitely, but no where near as much as you think.  As long as the recording and mastering of the song is good, and the encoding of the file is good, then even a mid-fi or hi-fi headphone can still make it sound better.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 13
Most people can't tell the difference between ~224kbps lame mp3 and the original if their headphones are anything less than excellent. On top of that, being an iPod there's a likelihood that they're encoded in AAC and not MP3, which achieves transparency among many listeners at around 160-180kbps, on normal equipment.

In short, unless you have excellent headphones, a good amp, and a source better than an iPod, your discovery is not really all that terrible nor will it impair your ability to enjoy listening to your music.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 13
improving the quality of my library is almost futile, I only own a netbook, and so delete all my songs off it once they're on the ipod. They came from my friend who is becoming a producer so I assumed the quality would be there, I would have to wipe, and then re add 20000 songs in a better quality, which I do not have the time for so its not really an option. luckily a lot of my more favourite stuff is high quality but not all of it by a long shot
I like some hip hop, some indie music and some acoustic rock, a lot of other stuff to but they are the main things. Although also some alternative dubstep.
I like a bit of style but it is not the most important thing, and also a good degree of comfort is important. I can stretch to a budget of around £150 if needed.
nothing too big, I'd say nothing heavier than 240g
Thanks

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 13
sorry did not see the second and third posts before my reply
ok, thank you, so you would still recommend investing as much as £150 in some decent headphones despite the poor source ?
thanks

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 13
Upgrading your headphones is always going to give an improvement. It's the biggest improvement in listening quality there is; more than getting an amp, re-encoding (as long as the bitrate isn't something ridiculous like 32kbps), getting a better-sounding player, or anything else. So yes, you will definitely get enjoyment from a better pair of headphones despite the non-ideal source.

Quote:
sorry did not see the second and third posts before my reply
ok, thank you, so you would still recommend investing as much as £150 in some decent headphones despite the poor source ?
thanks

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
improving the quality of my library is almost futile, I only own a netbook, and so delete all my songs off it once they're on the ipod. They came from my friend who is becoming a producer so I assumed the quality would be there, I would have to wipe, and then re add 20000 songs in a better quality, which I do not have the time for so its not really an option. luckily a lot of my more favourite stuff is high quality but not all of it by a long shot
I like some hip hop, some indie music and some acoustic rock, a lot of other stuff to but they are the main things. Although also some alternative dubstep.
I like a bit of style but it is not the most important thing, and also a good degree of comfort is important. I can stretch to a budget of around £150 if needed.
nothing too big, I'd say nothing heavier than 240g
Thanks

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580.

Very best,

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 13
Definitely consider the Denon AH-D1100.

No need for amp, portable, comfortable and it's mostly forgiving on low bitrate files.

However, if you're looking for the WOW factor when listening, you really need to improve your source quality.

320kbps is usually more than ok. 192kbps will even suffice in some cases.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 13
320 kbps is good enough for portable use. For your favourite music just get the albums. At least then you have a copy which you can still rip to a hard drive in lossless quality.

When it comes to headphones specify what you prefer and audition the headphones if possible.  

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 13
IMO, if you have mainly songs 192kbps+ then anything under $300 should be fine. 128~160 is where I really notice the difference. 192~320 isn't as much of a difference (using HD25-1 ii's).

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Not to be inflammatory but I find bitrate not to be hugely important. Crappy music will honestly always sound crappy. For example most electronic music makes no difference to me if it's 128 or 320kbps.

As for an amp, throw that idea out the window and spend more on headphones until you get to about the 200+ dollar mark. Some headphones don't even need them at that range.

I like Audio Technica A700, yes even for portable use. They're manageable if you're mindful of volume and sound even better once you get alone with 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back