Worst band names
Aug 9, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #781 of 913
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poohblah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've never quite understood where humble pie got their name... i've never liked it, anyway. i think it's some kind of saying? i'm not in the know.

The old expression was "To eat humble pie." It meant to be brought down or humbled, as you might guess. Here's the entry from Dictionary.com:

humble pie
–noun 1. humility forced upon someone, often under embarrassing conditions; humiliation.
2. Obsolete. a pie made of the viscera and other inferior parts of deer or the like.
—Idiom3. eat humble pie, to be forced to apologize humbly; suffer humiliation: He had to eat humble pie and publicly admit his error.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1640–50; earlier phrase an umble pie, erroneous for a numble pie; see numbles]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #783 of 913
Dick Delicious and the Tasty Testicles

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #785 of 913
Elastic.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #786 of 913
nickelback

why?

Lead singer Chad Kroeger was having trouble coming up with a name, and so approached his brother, who worked at a Starbucks. Coffee was $1.95, which meant every customer who paid two bucks got-waiiiit for it-a nickel back.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #787 of 913
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nickelback

why?

Lead singer Chad Kroeger was having trouble coming up with a name, and so approached his brother, who worked at a Starbucks. Coffee was $1.95, which meant every customer who paid two bucks got-waiiiit for it-a nickel back.

To tell you the truth, if Nickelback were named "The Beatles," I would think The Beatles was the stupidest rock band name ever. The sound of that guy's voice sends me lunging for the radio dial (Ever heard of laxatives, dude?).

I recently heard their awful song, "Figured You Out" for the first time. I was completely stunned by the sheer, mindless misogyny of it. How do morons like that even get women to talk to them?

I've actually read some critical praise for those losers lately. When derision is heaped on a terrible band, a few critics will try to attract attention to themselves by taking the contrarian view, no matter how hard the group su-u-u-cks. In this case the band in question sucks like a freakin' Hoover. Yeesh.

I've also got another inane, dumbass band name:

Airborne Toxic Event.

Haven't heard them; maybe they're great. But the pretentious, obscure name doesn't exactly pique my curiosity, know what I mean?

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #788 of 913
A metal band called "Black Fork" I think its supposed to sound satanic, but it sounds more like bad dishwashing.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #789 of 913
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A metal band called "Black Fork" I think its supposed to sound satanic, but it sounds more like bad dishwashing.

Heh. Never heard of them, but that's Spinal-Tap worthy. Reminds me for some reason of the infamous "Stonehenge" scene. Not quite the effect they intended, sounds like.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #791 of 913
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two words: An_l C_nt

If you can figure it out, you will know what I mean. Horrible in all aspects
rolleyes.gif

what band is it ?

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #793 of 913
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea, at least they could use PitchFork as that sounds a bit more menacing than just Fork.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #794 of 913
Yeah, there are plenty of metal bands that should be on this list. They all try to come up with the most offensive name possible (to be scary?), and more often than not, it just ends up being comical.

Few good ones:
The Atomic Bitchwax
Fondlecorpse
Terminally your Aborted Ghost
The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #795 of 913
Looking through the first page, I don't see any of these names are bad at all, besides a few like the one that roadtonowhere08 posted.

Looking through my own library, the only ones that bother me are Planet X (sci-fi fodder), Sweatshop Union (don't understand why there is a reference to sweatshops), Emma-Lee (the dash annoys me), Opeth (probably bias because I find the band very corny, but the name seems corny to me as well), and Dead Can Dance (I don't know if it it's Dead Can Dance as in able to dance or like tin can dance)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back