worried about my beyerdynamic dt990/600 headphones.
Jul 12, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 22
Most of the media that we listen to music from are now digital.  CDs are digital, MP3s are digital, Computer files are digital...

Our ears are analog, though, so any time we listen to music on speakers or headphones, there needs to be a device that converts digital to analog somewhere along the way.

Some DACs are better than others.  The ones in sound cards and portable players are notoriously crappy, for a variety of reasons.  If what you're doing now is sending an analog signal to your Yamaha receiver, you are letting the sound card's DAC do the work, then are just using the amp to amplify that signal.  You've already heard the results of that.

Instead, ideally you should have another device in the chain--one that gets the pure digital signal from your computer and feeds a better analog signal to your amp, or a way to get that digital signal into either the optical or digital coax inputs of your receiver, so that the receiver is doing the DAC work, which will sound much better.

Again, my guess is that if you can get a proper digital signal into that receiver, you should be getting excellent sound--it's virtually identical to the setup I am using right now.  I have a sound card with an optical out, connected to my Yamaha receiver.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 22
IMO the 600s have much tighter bass, much clearer mids, and smoother highs.  I couldn't stand the 250s but I did own the 600s for a while.  Not everyone thinks they're that terrible though.  I know joelpearce liked his 990/250s.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
IMO the 600s have much tighter bass, much clearer mids, and smoother highs.  I couldn't stand the 250s but I did own the 600s for a while.  Not everyone thinks they're that terrible though.  I know joelpearce liked his 990/250s.

They were the Pros, and I did like them, though they didn't get much head time after I got some of my other gear.

I haven't compared the 250 Pro and the Premium 250, though.  The premium 600 is significantly better than the Pro 250.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 22
I haven't heard the pros, but Beyer says they're pretty much the same as the premium 990/250s.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 22
I would recommend keeping the 990/600's and buying a buget amp to drive them properly, you will be rewarded with a very pleasing musical experience.  My 990/600's have become my favorite cans among some very stiff competition.  Something as inexpensive as a Corda Headfive would work well with the 990/600's and give you the power you need to enjoy them.  I've seen headfives under $200 often on the sale forum.  You don't have to spend alot on an amp to see some real benefits.

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 22
@Jugger: the (sound)quality of external dacs is usually much better.
I was very pleasantly surprised when I got my first dac, I didn't expect such a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back