World's best Vodka - Poll
Feb 21, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #76 of 92
I like Ketel One for Bloody Mary's, and Grey Goose for Martini's

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bartender and I'm constantly engaged in this debate. Strictly speaking, vodka is a, "flavorless, tasteless alcohol". Within that definition, vodka has differences that many so-called experts are able to taste. As far as I'm concerned, as soon as a mixer is added to a vodka, all bets are off, and I challenge anyone to a blind tasting where they will be able to detect which brand of vodka is in the drink. I have had countless amounts of people come up to me in the bar and say that they can tell which vodka is their favorite vodka. I have done blind tastings of straight vodka, at room temperature and chilled, and it is remarkable that everyone to date has failed to correctly identify their favorite vodka. For the record, it seems that when experts judge vodkas, that Chopin (potato vodka) consistently ranks on top of the competition. With that said, my advice as a bartender; if you are drinking straight vodka, choose the label you prefer and that makes you happy. If you are having a blended drink, just use rail vodka. Save the rest of your money for headphones... or for single-malt scotch. : )

I can tell Absolut from Smirnoff. Not because I like it, but because it specifically tastes like someone threw up in my mouth. Well, someone who drank a lot of rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover...

...Actually, I think that happened at a party one time

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #82 of 92
Quote:

I am a bartender and I'm constantly engaged in this debate. Strictly speaking, vodka is a, "flavorless, tasteless alcohol".

No. That is one style of vodka.

I agree with you about mixed drinks though.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #83 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the previous thread there were a number of Vodkas that were mentioned a number of times. This thread is to determe which one is the most preferred.

Eh, a poll MIGHT address the question, "what is the most popular vodka?" But I trust a head-fi poll on high-end vodkas only slightly more than I'd trust a bartender to know good headphones.

My favorite is Svedka...can't beat it for the price...less than $10/liter. World's best? I dunno, but it's competitive with any on the poll list!

For the people new to vodka, the alcohol that goes in is more or less the same, from one brand to another. Since vodka is ~80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume, there is more water than alcohol in vodka. And that water is what endows the various brands with their unique flavor profiles, more or less. Don't believe me? Go test it! Most premium brands will state how they distill the alcohol (ie, triple distilled) and what kind of water they add (ie, Gensac spring), so you can do your own private comparison.

I saw a bottle of this stuff and had a good laugh. Herkimer diamonds = quartz. Good one, Aykroyd.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #84 of 92
Quote:

I challenge anyone to a blind tasting where they will be able to detect which brand of vodka is in the drink.

I can do this!

Wait, how much does this drink cost? The Grey Goose, it's the Grey Goose!
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #85 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, a poll MIGHT address the question, "what is the most popular vodka?" But I trust a head-fi poll on high-end vodkas only slightly more than I'd trust a bartender to know good headphones.

My favorite is Svedka...can't beat it for the price...less than $10/liter. World's best? I dunno, but it's competitive with any on the poll list!

For the people new to vodka, the alcohol that goes in is more or less the same, from one brand to another. Since vodka is ~80 proof or 40% alcohol by volume, there is more water than alcohol in vodka. And that water is what endows the various brands with their unique flavor profiles, more or less. Don't believe me? Go test it! Most premium brands will state how they distill the alcohol (ie, triple distilled) and what kind of water they add (ie, Gensac spring), so you can do your own private comparison.

I saw a bottle of this stuff and had a good laugh. Herkimer diamonds = quartz. Good one, Aykroyd.

i remember when i saw the diamond head for the first time lol like i like cool looking bottles and all but 50 bucks for one? with what must be pretty bad vodka...definitely wasnt worth it, bought the amazing jean marc XO that was right next to it instead

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #87 of 92
the one vodka that ive always wanted to try but have never been able to find a bottle for a reasonable price, and never seen a bottle in a liquor store is Wyborowa Single Estate, looks to be pretty good

But i not sure that even that can best tito's

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #89 of 92
i'm a big fan of fine, premium liquors -- from gin to scotch to tequila -- all best enjoyed neat or occasionally on the rocks. maybe in a simple cocktail like a martini or manhattan, where the quality of spirit makes a difference.

but vodka for me is simply a vehicle to add bite to a cocktail. and in that context, i could really care less which sort of vodka is poured into my drink, as long as it's strong enough to add character. vodka without a mixer is a waste of ice.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #90 of 92
Not a huge vodka fan, but I had a Polish g/f who turned me on to Zubrowka. It is flavored with bison grass. Really a unique and amazing taste, hard to describe, but kinda coconut-like. I drink it neat or with a cube or two. I always keep a bottle of it in the freezer. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back