World's best Vodka - Poll
Feb 20, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #47 of 92
yet another blast from the past thread from 2007...

retro is a new fad I guess
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #48 of 92
I'm surprised that Grey Goose is in the lead, in my opinion it's way overrated. I've seen several Vodka blind taste tests in the past where grey goose has scored pretty low, I think it's pretty much all hype. I really like Kettle One myself. Fris is also a very good budget vodka at around $12 a bottle.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #49 of 92
Best vodka overall I've had: Stein Distillery's Rye vodka, in Joseph, Oregon.

Best "modern" style would either be 360 or 42 below. Probably 42 below due to the low-low price.

I prefer a flavorful vodka to something that's overdistilled, so I would go with the Stein.

As far as Potato Vodka, I'd go with Koenig. Very good price on that in Oregon.

And for bang/buck that still tastes GOOD, Sobieski.

Grey Goose, Belvedere, etc... are all pretty good, but I consider them overpriced. Any vodka that advertises 4, 5, 6 times distilled, and then charges you over $25 is freaking overpriced too -- after that many distillations, they're all the ****ing same.

For infusing lighter stuff I will use Sobieski actually, instead of grain alcohol.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #51 of 92
I'm not sure I have a favourite wodka but I do know that I'll take the potential for a little rubbing alcohol aftertaste instead of tasting like I tried to eat a pine tree. Holy crap I don't know how people drink gin.

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #53 of 92
I think Chopin is outstanding. There's another (much less expensive) potato vodka made in US called Glacier Idaho. Both are terrific - much smoother than anything else I've had. I highly recommend Glacier Idaho - give it a shot, and if you like it, take the leap to Chopin... you won't regret it.

I also really like Ciroc, but it's sadly not on the list.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #54 of 92
Absolut, Finlandia, Żubrówka, Stolichnaya and Smirnoff, in that order.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #55 of 92
There are quite a few outstanding Vodkas out there. One of the best I've tried so far is Russian Standard Platinum. Other favorite Vodkas that I've tried would be Stolichnaya Elit, Pau Maui Vodka, Imperia, Beloezoloto ("White Gold") Platinum, and Cristall.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #56 of 92
How come Vox is not on the list? It is better than Grey Goose. Skyy is great for mixed drinks though. I rarely drink, but when I do I like Vox.

And here's proof that Vox is better.
biggrin.gif

"VOX Gets a Top Score VOX overthrows Grey Goose® in blind taste tests*, VOX Vodka is the highest rated in the history of highly-respected Beverage Testing Institute. With perfect scores for smoothness, integration of alcohol and versatility, there is no other super-premium vodka you can trust more to make the best possible cocktails, whatever you’re mixing, stirring, or shaking up.

BTI Scores

Original Vox 97
Grey Goose 95
Belvedere 92
Chopin 90
Ketel One 89

*All brands tasted neat and in cocktails. Source: Beverage Testing Institute - Professional Tasting - Chicago, Illinois 2005"

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #57 of 92
I've written on this topic in the hard liquor thread i think it was under gear-fi. But oh well
tongue.gif

My current favorite is Tito's Handmade vodka. Its around 20 dollars a bottle, and the only vodka that is better is jean marc XO, which costs right around 60 for the bottle. MY favorite used to be Chopin, probably the best vodka in the 30 dollar range. I find that Grey Goose, belvedere etc. are all way overrated and not worth the prices being charged for them. Also Effin was a reasonable second to chopin in the 30 dollar range.

The thing about tito's is its not just a great value vodka, it really is far better than either chopin or effin. Almost every vodka's bad taste as it were, comes from the burn, the burn is what actually tastes bad. Though most high end vodka's limit the burn as much as possible. Tito's while also limiting the burn to a very small amount, the burn actually has a slightly sweet flavor to it, that is actually pretty good. I think it's because it's made from corn, distilled 7 times? in pot stills. Not very many vodka's are made in pot stills.

The bottle isnt very becoming either, its in a plain glass bottle, with a slgiht tint to it, and has a plain brown paper lable on it, but dont let the looks decieve you with this one, its good where it counts, and that is inside the bottle
wink.gif

It's so good actually, that i once made a screwdriver, that only had enough orange juice in it to turn the vodka a orange-ish color, and someone mistook it for orange juice and used it for a chaser for another shot and didnt even notice.

The Jean Marc is still better, but only slightly, and i never drink it anymore since i found the tito's, ill be saving it for a special occasion.

On another note, Stoli Elite, another 60 something sollar bottle, while good, cant compete with either the jean marc or the tito's, though it is better than the chopin and the effin, i just never thought it was worth the extra cost after the first bottle. Another 50 something dollar bottle, called Diamond 100, is way to expensive, stay away.

anyways, i kind of think of myself as a vodka conniseur as it were lol so i wanted to share
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: i almost forgot, Ciroc was brought up. I find this vodka to be one of the worst of the 30 something dollar vodkas. It was the french trying to be unique, (aka the grapes) and failing miserably, and also having far too much burn for a vodka of this price, not worth the weird purple thing on the glass its stored in.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #59 of 92
rofl @ grey goose.

didnt hit me...

i prefer belvedere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back