World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement
Oct 12, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #586 of 629
Here it is.

I did a sweep on my head with them and I'm hearing from 12hz to 15kHz which is about the limit of my hearing at 62!!

Treble is lowered. The headphone is warmer sounding... maybe the mid bass is raised slightly. More comfortable though. They push the cups a bit further away than the k550 but for some ears, they might be a bit close. I don't have a problem with it though. £15 isn't too bad for the two leather pads really. I'm tempted to try the Focus pads now.....

http://www.analogueseduction.net/hifiman-headphones/hifiman-leather-headphone-pads.html

However, going back to originals reveals the strong treble and again and shows that the leathers are also making them quite a bit darker.

TBH, I can't decide what I prefer. I can listen a lot louder with the leather pads, but no more musical detail comes through. Seems to be quite a tonal shift though.

The electrical route might well be a better option perhaps. Solderdude had looked into alternative pads as well as even devising a Kameleon filter for it, which I felt might be overkill on a cheap headphone, where the Kameleon would cost more than the headphone.

His FR graph is a definite improvement on the original and he has a knack of turning a dog's ear of a sound into something so much more acceptable. We're going to swap headphones so I'll hear what he's done and he'll mod mine for himself.

Looks like that's the best remedy for those drivers which are a bit rough up top in the treble. Shame is that if it was worth it, the bass could likely be raised as well via a Kameleon so it could dig deeper down. Still a bit of low eq will help that.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #587 of 629
got these in! 

they sound a lot like my re400 ( i know what you're thinking, duh of course) but they do seem a bit more bassy and a bit more treble forward (just a smidge), i quite like it!

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #588 of 629
Well I have installed the electronic mod in each cup of my 350's and now have a wonderful sound with no ear piercing treble.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/he350/

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #589 of 629
Great. Frans is sending me his modded headphone and I've sent mine and an msr7 to him. I've had enough of the msr7. My he350 should arrive soon.

He's a genius at getting the best out of headphones, either with physical mods or if that doesn't work, electronic mods.

The DIYAH mod is interesting because Frans shows the differences via a set of graphs. He hated it stock but decided that it was a keeper with this mod.

If Hifiman did this mod, they'd have a killer headphone for the price!!!

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #591 of 629
Bump.
They come to the massdrop again!

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #598 of 629
  So anyone know what the warranty on the RE-00 is? I can't find anything on the Massdrop site does it even have a warranty?

Hey Spiderman,

One year warranty...hope that helps!

C

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #599 of 629

Hey Spiderman,

One year warranty...hope that helps!

C

How does the warranty work?
I assume i have to ship it back to massdrop ....... wherever that is.
blink.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #600 of 629
  How does the warranty work?
I assume i have to ship it back to massdrop ....... wherever that is.
blink.gif

We're in San Francisco, but may not want you to send things back to our office directly. 
tongue.gif

Best is to contact Massdrop customer service. They will guide you through the process.

If you go to the particular transaction in your account directly (Click on "Transactions" in your account menu in upper right hand corner of Massdrop when logged in) and request support from there, customer service will already know who you are and the transaction you are having an issue with. This makes things faster.

https://www.massdrop.com/support is a general link with some help and FAQ. Let me know in PM if something isn't working out for you and you need my help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back