World Cup 2014
Jul 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #331 of 377

The same could be said to Brazil during their match against Netherlands.

Agree. But Brazil seemed hungover from their previous game. 

Well, Brazil is top four team in the WC2014, it's quite a compliment.  Just look at the 1-7 and 0-3 loses as loses only and never mind the scores.

The implosions are Spain, Russian, Portugal, England.  Surprised that none of the Asian teams, Japan/SKorea, playing much at all....    

Also, I don't think Russia's performance could be labelled as 'implosions'. Don't think many had higher expectations of them? 
Portugal, scraped into the WC after beating Sweden. So you could argue that they were not favourites in the WC. Underperformance maybe, but I think implosion is an exaggeration in my opinion. 

Can't remember when England's implosion began. After Euro 2004 maybe? But certainly not this WC, it happened way before that. 

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #332 of 377

Agree. But Brazil seemed hungover from their previous game. 

Also, I don't think Russia's performance could be labelled as 'implosions'. Don't think many had higher expectations of them? 
Portugal, scraped into the WC after beating Sweden. So you could argue that they were not favourites in the WC. Underperformance maybe, but I think implosion is an exaggeration in my opinion. 

Can't remember when England's implosion began. After Euro 2004 maybe? But certainly not this WC, it happened way before that. 

Englands implosion started at 66. They have always had to high expectations from their team which I think is why they cave under pressure so easilly during the penaltys. 
Like all northern teams England suffer from wooden legs due to the cold and the fact we are a bit bigger made then the tiny Italians which make it hard to treat the ball right.
So they have to rely on speed and trying to get some hard shots in and just being clever with the strategy :wink:. Physical strength don´t matter to much with the diving school putting bigger players at a big disadvantage. How many free kicks do Zlatan get against him just for being physically superior? How many free kicks do Robben made of glass get for being small and fast and diving gracially on the smallest of contact?

Brazil probably suffered something similar this WC. They are not allowed to play booring football like Argentina done this WC so it appears the 12th player both helped and messed things up for them. Still they done much more for this tournament then Argentina did so far.  

Russia did have potential to go through but they did perform decently anyway. Portugal rely a lot on Ronaldo. Ronaldo was in top shape otherwise they would actually have lost to our poor Swedish team in the play off. Without a Ronaldo in top shape they just aren´t any good as they build everything around him. 

It was really frustrating to see Portugal in this tournament. Sweden would have done it so much better lol

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #333 of 377
IMO England's failing come from emphasis on the physical side (effort, work rate etc) and far less on the technical or technique aspects of the game.

This has led to England being better off the ball (although still tactically inept) than they are on the ball.
The England players lack the ability, vision and ambition to create problems for their opponents, hence one of the reasons we make poor sides look far better than they are and never beat better sides in important matches.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #334 of 377
  I though Korea played some good passing and glimpses of attacking football. Their defence went a bit brazil during the first half of the Algeria game. But what they lacked most were good finishers. E.g. Against Belgium they matched up well, but could not score.

Over the years, Korea and Japan seem to have got so far and no further in the development of their international teams. Both have excellent, skillful midfields and bring lots of pace and industry to the part, but it's at the ends of the pitch where they lack something. One really natural striker could lift either team to become a real danger.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #335 of 377
well done to Germany... worthy World Champions...
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #337 of 377
Argentina relied too much on Messi IMO, same mistake as 2010

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #339 of 377
Great game! Go Germany! While I'm not German, my wife is (and thus my kids are 50% German). Argentina had a few chances to score early, but in the end, the better team won! Germany was relentless with their attack and ball control and what a beauty of a winning goal!

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #340 of 377
  Argentina relied too much on Messi IMO, same mistake as 2010

Argentina relied on their defense rather then Messi, Higuain and their offensive. Can´t say it didn´t work though I don´t think Argentina did a single misstake in this tournament. They do have players for a more offensive football though if it could take them further dunno :)

I hope the directive for referees to not give yellow or reds on any circumstances is gone for future tournaments. I have big trouble understanding even why they have such a directive? FIFA always want to run with fair play but now it´s unfair play that is the goal??? Was there two yellows for movie acting where elbows to the head and what not pure assaults often whent unpunished.

That tackle to the head by the Argentinan player early on would be a game misconduct in hockey even but of course the referee missed that red card.

Neuer did a bit of a Toni Schumacher and got a free kick for his efforts so it evened things out a bit :wink: How Mascherani didn´t get send off for trying to take Schweinsteiger out together with his agent is beyond me.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #341 of 377
Yep, it was a a great goal, and it looked to me from watching much of the tournament that Germany was the most consistent top-performing team.

Kudos to their players, coach, and the German national football/soccer program!

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #342 of 377
Great World Cup, congrats Germany, a beautiful goal to end a beautiful game!  Thank you Brazil, for being the great host.  Hope the 2106 Summer Games will be this good...  

A great break-out at this WC?  Costa Rica?  Colombia?  Netherlands (they didn't expect to do this good)?  

Greatest surprise?  Iran scored a goal?  BiteMeGate...    

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #345 of 377
A young Germany team on the whole, so you can see them getting better over the next few years. And if they stick with the  recruitment and development structures they put in place to bring through this crop of talent, who knows what the future holds?

They took the long view, while certain countries (Brazil, England) prefer to stick their heads in the sand.

Oh, and the Adidas-sponsored Ballon d'Or being awarded to the Adidas-sponsored Lionel Messi? Hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back