World Cup 2014
Jul 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #301 of 377
Penalty shootoouts are plain stupid at this stage of the WC...It should go to a golden goal no matter how long it takes.

Imagine explaining that to Julius Ceasar if he were alive today...Y'see Julius, the boys are tired after playing for that long and we need a ......  Julius: What, tired?  Throw them to the lions and lets see how tired they really are....

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #303 of 377
Not really, they shoul've all been sent to the lions for boring the emporer well before the penalty shootout occurred. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #304 of 377
Hoping even more for a German win after tonight's showing.

Also, the usually dead rubber of the third/fourth place playoff will be worth watching, to see the reception the Brazilian fans give their team, and the performance of a Netherlands team with something to prove and an opponent whose vulnerability has been exposed.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #306 of 377
I don't think anyone can stop the Germans, you can't erode that confidence boost of crapping all over Brazil, in Brazil, in the WC, anytime soon. 

Ze Germans are coming!  These new breed of Germans don't suffer the collective guilt from WW2 and are very much proud of their history....the moreso, because they are not allowed to express it publicly.  I met a stack of young German students that stayed at my place, we had awesome parties, I got into their psychology and was immensely impressed.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #307 of 377
I wouldn´t be shocked if Argentina wins 3-0... A new match a new game so much psychology in play but they certainly aren´t favourites :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #309 of 377
Was the thrashing of Brazil an indication of German invincibility, or a reflection of a Brazilian implosion?

Who will win?  Who's cuisine reign's supreme? Let's get ready to rumble! Gentlemen, start your engines!

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #310 of 377
  I don't think anyone can stop the Germans, you can't erode that confidence boost of crapping all over Brazil, in Brazil, in the WC, anytime soon. 

I just hope they won't become cocky and arrogant and lose the game to themselves.

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #312 of 377
  Was the thrashing of Brazil an indication of German invincibility, or a reflection of a Brazilian implosion?

Who will win?  Who's cuisine reign's supreme? Let's get ready to rumble! Gentlemen, start your engines!

The current German team isn't invincible, but they're pretty damn good. The Argentinians will come to the final determined not to concede, and to snatch at any half-chance. If Germany score early, that would be best for the game, as Argentina will have to chase a result instead of just playing spoiling tactics.

Brazil need to do what Germany did a few years ago. Overhaul coaching, youth development structures and talent identification, rebuild and put up with a few fallow years while the new generation finds its feet.

The nation has forgiven Brazil their dull play over the recent past, because they were at least still winning (or at least not losing). That semi-final result, however, was surely too big to sweep under the carpet and maybe some decisions will be made. Or, if they are really stupid, they can pretend everything would have been all right if Neymar had been there.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #313 of 377
I think Neymar and Silva can make a difference, not because they are a game-changer or anything, but because the squad seems like they are beaten even before the game starts. They are petrified by the absence of their top scorer and captain, hence the diminutive confidence.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #314 of 377
Pele, Romario and Ronaldo...Brazils formidable WC reputation was penned on those three players.  Brazil is nothing special anymore....Although Neymar did not dissapoint, but he lacks the locomotive force that El Phenomenon attained.  Ronaldo was the last of the old school champions.

The world cup separates the true champions from pretenders....and makes a little girl out of fake ronaldo every time.  Messi and Neymar did not dissapoint.  Still, Whoever wins, this was the most interesting world cup for quite a while.  Neymar will take the crown from the the great pretender, which is good....frustrating watching a pretender at the thrown for so darn long.  Zidane and Ronaldo were real old school champions, real men....pretty boys cannot be true champions, you need to love the game more than you love yourself.  Its the eye of the tiger, you have it or you don't.

I am hoping for a German victory.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #315 of 377
I couldn't agree more. The old Brazil relies on dribbling skill and agility (Ronaldinho?), not long crosses. Ronaldo was called "The Phenomenon" for a good reason as well. Zidane was indeed a very special player, but I'd say the 2006 world cup was won not by the entire Italian team, but by Buffon.

Though as good as this world cup has been, I'd say the last (2010) world cup was more interesting. Having a final with two countries that has never won a world cup before was indeed interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back