Workout Phones for the Sweaty head-fi'er.
Sep 30, 2011 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blizardwizard

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a pair of phones to take on workouts.
Criteria is an all around, biking, running, lifting, and longboarding.
Waterproof. And seriously waterproof. I sweat bullets every time its over 70*F, when I'm done running I look like I took a shower...

So with the wind rushing through my ears, and sweat pouring out by the gallon, iems/over-the-heads are out.

I think behind the head would be the only way to go (correct me if I'm wrong fellow head-fi'ers.)

I have a par of Phillips, HCxxx something or rather, and I like the feel the low profile and all (the sound is awful), but the pads got torn to shreds, and they are open, so I cant use them for biking or boarding.
Do closed on the ear, behind the head, headphones exist? More importantly, do they exist with acceptable sound. I'm only playing them out of an 3rd gen ipod shuffle/touch. so nothing fancy.

Price-range is up to 60-70, this new jobs giv'n me money to boot.

Anyone have experiance with this sorta stuff.?

Thanks guys.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm also very proficient in the sweat department, and I've been using Etymotic HF5's for the past year and a half.  They've worked great!  N'ery a problem to speak of, and the (included) triple flange ear tips totally hold up to the sweat *and* keep it out of your ear canal as well.  The HF5's might be a bit steep for your budget, but you could also consider the Etymotic MC5.

Otherwise, some manufacturers make "workout headphones" that evidently hold up fairly well, but I can't comment on the sound.  Probably fairly lousy.

Hope that helps.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Well I did actually try working out with my HF5s. And i guess because of the seal in the iem, I can hear myself breathing heavy during cardio, and when liftng. It's actually quite distracting unfortunately. Maybe some clip ons? or open backed iem?

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 6
The Sennheiser CX Adidas line are great.  I have CX680.  I don't sweat like a monsoon, but I believe it's highly water resistent.  The only earphones that I know are 100% waterproof and sounds descent is the H2O audio surge (made for swimmers and triathletes).  All is within your budget.  Between the two the CX line may be more to your desire if you don't like the isolation and hearing yourself breath.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
The Sennheiser CX Adidas line are great.  I have CX680.  I don't sweat like a monsoon, but I believe it's highly water resistent.  The only earphones that I know are 100% waterproof and sounds descent is the H2O audio surge (made for swimmers and triathletes).  All is within your budget.  Between the two the CX line may be more to your desire if you don't like the isolation and hearing yourself breath.

Yes these are great as they are fully waterproof and they have around the ear so they will not fall out when you are running. Although I think the treble is a little harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back