Working Out
Dec 17, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JLai

1000+ Head-Fier
So I'm at a dilemma and I wanted some input. Would most of you work out with an expensive IEM at the risk of breaking them...or would you buy a pair of cheapo IEMs that you don't care about to work out with?

Granted the expensive IEMs will be backed by warranty incase something goes wrong. However, the wear and tear on them can't be a good thing.

On the other hand, the cheapo ones won't have anywhere near the SQ, but you can just toss them around.

I just can't decide...

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 24
Personally, I wouldn't risk breaking my pair of Shure E500's, even if it is backed with a warranty. I like to take care of my stuff. Just buy a pair of Koss KSC75's, and wear them.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 24
I use a pair of no-name earbuds for working out.
Far from any high-end sound quality, but they get the job done.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 24
It depends what you mean by "expensive." I worked out for my Shure E3s for a long time, but they're only worth around $100 or less now. I did have to get them replaced under warranty, but I don't think that was because of my working out with them. If I had been denied the warranty, no big deal...

If I had a $1000 set of custom molded headphones, no way I'd take those things into the gym...

You can't (or at least I can't) really focus on SQ when you're working out anyway, and it's not an ideal environment for quality listening in the first place. Just get some Koss KSC-35/KSC-50/"Plug" and be done with it...

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 24
My workout rig is JVC 'mallows and a new shuffle. It suits me perfectly. You can do just about anything with the cord and not get microphonics and you barely notice you have it on.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 24
I don't mind... it lets me listen to all my old downloaded songs (legally- of course) that are 128kb/s.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 24
I vote cheapo.

Currently rocking ultra cheapo maxell buds on the iPod when I lift/run...

looking to get a better set of cheapos for that....

...and maybe that new shuffle so I can shoot around on the court....

...unless somebody here knows that the new "matchbook" shuffle sounds way worse than regular iPods.....?? ???

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 24
Gyms that ive used tend to have decent music, decent radio or even a film playing.

If you mean working out not in a gym, id probably use ibuds or px100.

This thread just reminds me of how long its been since i went to the gym.

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 24
I use the e500s for working out- what is the point of having nice headphones if you are afraid to use them? However, I do use them with a 2g Shuffle (which essentially negates the point of good headphones), and no extension chords. The main chord is only long enough to reach the collar of my shirt therefore there is very little to get caught on.

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 24
I know the OP just said he made his decision, but I'll chime in anyway. I use 128k MP3 at the gym with sony earbuds (but with a hook thing that goes around each ear). I don't even use lossy files anywhere else, but the SQ is fine for working out. How much attention are you paying to fine detail there? I mean, if I were getting into the music too much, I'd have to stop exercising. The other reason I'd never use quality phones for exercise is that I sweat so much that I have to replace the ones I use every once in a while anyway.

Also, whoever said they play good music hasn't been to my gym, where it's usually top 40 all the way.

Dec 18, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 24
I use my CX300 for workout. They are not really "cheap", costs me over $100 Canadian dollars after shipping and taxes. But they really aren't $300 earbuds either. So a compromise of the two?

Dec 18, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 24
I've used my UE 10-Pro, E500, V-Moda Vibes, KSC-35 and KSC-75. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for. I don't worry about ruining them. From what? Sweat? I don't think I'll drop a weight plate on them. I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back