Woo's New Flagship WA33
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #3,211 of 3,238
Both? Well that’s having cake and eating it as well. Congrats.
Thanks for the congrats - BUT - if I totally prefer one over the other, I will not be keeping both.
With that being said - the Envy has quite the job of impressing me to keep it over my WA33, or keeping both if they compliment each other enough for my tastes.

May 3, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #3,212 of 3,238
Arrived, GEC cv3789 driver tubes with Woo Audio custom adapters. Nice packaging (should be for the price!)
IMG_9726.jpeg
IMG_9728.jpeg

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #3,213 of 3,238
I wanted to share my experience with a Double Helix Prion XLR cable and its incompatibility with the WA33 socket. The Prion cable uses a Kryo XLR connector, which is known for its sturdiness but unfortunately, has a thicker barrel diameter compared to standard XLR connectors. This extra thickness prevented it from fitting into the WA33 socket.

I got this Prion cable second-hand at a good price, but it had been unused for a long time. In an attempt to make it compatible with the WA33 without changing the connectors was cutting the barrel of the male XLR connector, after careful measuring of length. It worked and is very good step up from JPS Labs Superconductor xlr, I did not even have to A/B them.

Lessons Learned, always double-check connector compatibility before purchasing or using any cables.

20240510_190205.jpg

May 28, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #3,214 of 3,238
Hey folks, I’m consolidating my headphone system around the Aperio so I’m selling most of my head-fi gear including my WA33 Elite Edition with a few upgraded tubes. If you’re in the UK, this is a good opportunity for an amp upgrade this year :)

Jun 10, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #3,216 of 3,238
Probably not a good move. Neither Elrog nor Woo recommend use in the WA33. Elrog will not honor warranty claim if used in a Woo WA33. Mine started making noise about 30 days in. I put in a warranty claim that was rejected. The good part is that it sounds really good and while I have been waiting for it to blow up it is now nearly a year old and still working. Good luck!

Jun 10, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #3,217 of 3,238
Probably not a good move. Neither Elrog nor Woo recommend use in the WA33. Elrog will not honor warranty claim if used in a Woo WA33. Mine started making noise about 30 days in. I put in a warranty claim that was rejected. The good part is that it sounds really good and while I have been waiting for it to blow up it is now nearly a year old and still working. Good luck!
Does that mean it is also making noise for a year now?

Jun 10, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #3,219 of 3,238
Does that mean it is also making noise for a year now?
Yes it still makes noise though less than in the 1-3 month period. I use tube dampers on it and changed the Stellar P3 regenerator for a Puritan PSM156. All this and continued use has made it quieter. I expected it to get worse and blow by now so what do I know(and same for Woo and Elrog):L3000:

Jun 10, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #3,220 of 3,238
Yes it still makes noise though less than in the 1-3 month period. I use tube dampers on it and changed the Stellar P3 regenerator for a Puritan PSM156. All this and continued use has made it quieter. I expected it to get worse and blow by now so what do I know(and same for Woo and Elrog):L3000:
If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about the change from Stellar P3 to the Puritan, as I'm currently also switching from my Stellar P3 to something else

Jun 10, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #3,221 of 3,238
I have been wanting to try the PSM156 for over a year. @Roasty talked about getting a demo but could not work it out with the local dealer. But that got me interested and on the Puritan thread. I was unwilling to buy new as I was satisfied with the P3. I had a PS Audio Directstream DAC for almost 4 years and find PS Audio products very fine equipment. So when a barely used PSM156 coupled with an Audio Art PC came up for sale I jumped on it. I believe the unit had seen little use since I was initially unimpressed but as noted on the Puritan thread a long burn-in period is necessary. Now the WA33 along with the Elrog are much quieter(my WA33 is a hummer). My system sounds better than ever. The background is blacker than before and the SQ is more dynamic and vibrant than ever. The music feels more alive, crisper and cleaner. Now some of those guys are just nuts over on the Puritan thread taking this whole conditioning thing to extremes. If I can find a used Groundmaster for a decent price I will see if that offers any improvement otherwise this is as far as I go.

Jun 10, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #3,223 of 3,238
That is interesting. Mine is 4 years old. Also mine is an Elite Edition. Don' know if that makes a difference.

Jun 10, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #3,224 of 3,238
My wa33 has 12 months life, using elrog I don’t see any flash during startup, maybe Jack has modified the circuit ?
Well wouldn't that be a welcome surprise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back