Woo's New Flagship WA33
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #3,166 of 3,211
from my cold dead hands

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #3,167 of 3,211
That is not correct sorry. Woo Audio's WA 33 Elite does not use JPS wiring. Only the JPS version does. The JPS versions also comes with a recommended upgrade of the KR 2A3 HP tubes which JPS Labs helped develop with KR, in fact it was more a case of built to order spec. JPS Labs did the metallurgy and changed the spec, they bias the same, but I can directly attest to the fact that the KR 2A3's do not sound as good as the KR 2A3 HP's, which IMHO are amongst the best tubes new production tubes for the WA 33. Also worth a mention are the EML 2A3 tubes in either Mesh or Plate versions. EML offer a 5 year guarantee on their tubes which make them a good proposition.

I have both the Mesh and the Plate versions of the EML's, however I could not tell which sounds best as I no longer have my WA 33 Elite and I never got to try them. They are still sitting in their boxes.
Just received the WA 33 elite and did the upgrade to JPS wires. This is my first all tube amp. I have just about 80 hours on it so I’m hold off on critical listening judgements. It’s paired with the Lina Dac and AB 1266 headphones.so once i hit 100 hrs ill start my critical listening tracks and see how it compares to the previous complete Lina stack

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #3,168 of 3,211
phoenix usb is warming up nice. want to up the fixed line out from my dac but interesting, when i do the stage close's in a tad, turn it down, the stage widens and set back a tinge, i prefer that then closer.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #3,169 of 3,211
Tried the Tak 274B instead of the PSVane 5U4G and preliminary thoughts are improvement in mids being much more forward, overall smoothness, but loss of bass. Anyone else feel the same way?

I’m using PSVane WR2A3.

Any other rectifiers than can offer further improvement from the PSVane 5U4G for bass and dynamics?

Anyone know how the PSVane WR2A3 compare with the KR2A3?

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #3,170 of 3,211
Tried the Tak 274B instead of the PSVane 5U4G and preliminary thoughts are improvement in mids being much more forward, overall smoothness, but loss of bass. Anyone else feel the same way?

I’m using PSVane WR2A3.

Any other rectifiers than can offer further improvement from the PSVane 5U4G for bass and dynamics?

Try 5u4gb tube

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #3,171 of 3,211

I’m using PSVane WR2A3.

The stock tubes felt more loose and bassy. Maybe a bit more tube vibe than with ta rectifier. Concerning kr2a3, I’m getting ta 2a3 later today, but I’ll retest the stock russian power tubes 5u4g versus kr 2a3 versus ta 2a3 later. Course the ta need a lot of hours to bloom… but since I replaced the power and driver tubes seperate from rectifier, hard to say which did what. Granted I liked the change but didn’t mind stock either. So roll some tubes and report in a few days. Maybe others have experienced these with better ears…granted now that I did the math matrix… I’d have to test without ta 274, sooooo maybe the experiments botched with we drivers as well. Im rambling so the power tubes only test I can do.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #3,172 of 3,211
I liked the change but didn’t mind stock either.
Personally I think the stock EH power tubes are actually quite good, they lack some control, and are a bit Bass forwards (though some people probably like that).
The PSVane Acme's after a few hundred hours of burn in (yes they really take that long to settle) are clearly better to my ear, it's more refined, better resolution, but I wouldn't consider rolling power tubes critical.

I do think the stock rectifier is the weakest tube in the stock set, and I'd minimally go to an NOS RCA 5U4G, I like the KR SE 5U4G better, but it's basically unobtainable now. TA 274B is also very good.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #3,173 of 3,211
Borrowed a wavedream signature balanced from a buddy for a while and been testing it with my WA33 JPS elite. This is a phenomenal combo. Synergy is insanely good, better than vivaldi apex imo. It's a very exciting forward sounding dac but the detail is just off the charts, it just throws detail and imaging at you in spades. Slam and transient response is just insane. Anyone else tried one?

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #3,174 of 3,211
Borrowed a wavedream signature balanced from a buddy for a while and been testing it with my WA33 JPS elite. This is a phenomenal combo. Synergy is insanely good, better than vivaldi apex imo. It's a very exciting forward sounding dac but the detail is just off the charts, it just throws detail and imaging at you in spades. Slam and transient response is just insane. Anyone else tried one?

You’ve stumbled into my setup. 😁

My buddy claims I have too much bass. I looked at him as if he’s an alien. There’s no such thing.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #3,175 of 3,211
Takatsuki 2a3 big thumbs up. Working with ta274 muah. But that’s through hd800S. The ta 2a3 power tube brings the power with detail and depth. Nice intimacy with imagery. Everything gets better. Takatsuki is always quite black from the get go. Kr 2a3 is microphonic, takes a long while to break in and quiet down. It does improve from stock a tighter low end but still has that tubey vibe. Nice mids, but on my system, I prefer ta for sure. Ymmv . Only 4 hours in to boot.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #3,176 of 3,211
Where is best place to buy EML 2A3 Solid plates? I am wanting a neutral and dynamic 2A3.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #3,177 of 3,211

I have the “regular” version of this setup with Wavedream Edition and WA33 Standard, I love this setup and think the synergy is great for my music genres (rock, edm, metal).

Having said that I am curious how the WA33 EE vs AIC-10 compare when matched with the Wavedream since I’m deciding which one to upgrade the WA33 standard to.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #3,180 of 3,211
Melbourne, Australia.

There's a used quad set of KR2A3s available locally which I may go for.
Okay--didnt know you were in Australia.
I would've recommended TubesUSA for the EML 2A3 S--nothing but excellent experiences with George Lenz.
Not too long ago I purchased the KR 2A3 HP and I do enjoy them--but I enjoy my EML 2A3 S just as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back