Woo's New Flagship WA33
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #3,136 of 3,212
I had the EML 2.5vs in my WA33 EE. They sounded great but were unreliable. The distributor and part owner of EML Jacmusic is owned by a bandit who will do everything possible to avoid a warranty claim. It took me 6 months to get a replacement tube. Others had similar experience with Jacmusic. Once I got the replacement I sold both my quads of EML and eventually bought a Takatsuki quad. I do not believe that EML offers that tube any longer. I think Sophia Electric offered a 300B 2.5v at one point also. My other experience with 300B's was in a Woo WA5. In this application the 300B was much warmer than the 2.5v in the WA33.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #3,137 of 3,212
I had the EML 2.5vs in my WA33 EE. They sounded great but were unreliable. The distributor and part owner of EML Jacmusic is owned by a bandit who will do everything possible to avoid a warranty claim. It took me 6 months to get a replacement tube. Others had similar experience with Jacmusic. Once I got the replacement I sold both my quads of EML and eventually bought a Takatsuki quad. I do not believe that EML offers that tube any longer. I think Sophia Electric offered a 300B 2.5v at one point also. My other experience with 300B's was in a Woo WA5. In this application the 300B was much warmer than the 2.5v in the WA33.
Thank s for the info about the "warmth' between both amps. I do remember you had claim issues with Jacmusic at that time. I deal with TubesUSA for my EML 2A3 tubes and had 1 go bad without any warranty issues whatsoever. I also have my 2A3 tubes for ~3yrs now without issue.

I do see on the TubesUSA site they're still showing the 2.5v--but they Amayas have not updated their site. Didn't know that SP also made a 2.5v--I don't recall reading anything abut them.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #3,138 of 3,212
Have both. Ive spent a lot more time with the Envy than the wa33EE.

I...honestly think I prefer the Envy somewhat (there's something amazing about the texturing that 300B brings especially to bass notes). I have not upgraded tubes on either. That said, I really like the wa33 and it really brings the most of out of headphones like the 1266 & solitaire p. Tungsten/Susvara on the other hand I think are significantly better off the Envy.

Have also tried both with the wa33 preamping the envy. (Holo May -> WA33 -> Envy)

Using both in conjunction with one another was not a huge improvement, but it did feel like you got micro dynamics/detail of the wa33 and the macro dynamics/texture of the envy. It definitely sounded good, but is a far cry from a good value for a fleshed out system.

Honestly, I'd have to give it another shot with more headphones to give you a better impression.

Feel free though to ask if you have more questions.

At this point, I like having both systems to have different gear to mix and match with.

20240217_024805~2.jpg
upgrade the tubes on the envy and I think you will shocked...it is that good

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #3,139 of 3,212
Will do.

Thanks--I do remember he did have the 2.5v because IIRC he had an issue and received 2 shorter than the others.
If he doesn't chime in I'll send him a PM with hopes that he's heard a 300B amplifier to compare the 2.5v in the WA33.

so sorry dude, but I don't have enough experience with 300B amplifiers to give a valid opinion.. I haven't even managed to try the Envy!

If u can get past dealing with the EML distributor, difficult warranty claims, and potential noise/pops/ticking from the 300b 2.5v tubes, they do sound lovely. I'm using them right now in my wa33. they take about 10 to 15 min upon powering on to be totally quiet, but thereafter it's worth it.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #3,140 of 3,212
upgrade the tubes on the envy and I think you will shocked...it is that good
It's definitely in the cards at some point this year.

I heard the WEs on an envy in the ZMF room at canjam last year. Was phenomenal. Suffice it to say I had an envy on my desk a month later. :ksc75smile:

Do you have any recommendations for the driver tubes as well or did you leave yours stock and just upgrade power tubes to WE's?

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #3,141 of 3,212
so sorry dude, but I don't have enough experience with 300B amplifiers to give a valid opinion.. I haven't even managed to try the Envy!

If u can get past dealing with the EML distributor, difficult warranty claims, and potential noise/pops/ticking from the 300b 2.5v tubes, they do sound lovely. I'm using them right now in my wa33. they take about 10 to 15 min upon powering on to be totally quiet, but thereafter it's worth it.
Thank you for your reply even though you've also never heard a 300B amplifier. Tough decision now whether to try the EML 300B 2.5v while waiting for my Envy. I do enjoy my EML 2A3 S very, very much.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #3,142 of 3,212
It's definitely in the cards at some point this year.

I heard the WEs on an envy in the ZMF room at canjam last year. Was phenomenal. Suffice it to say I had an envy on my desk a month later. :ksc75smile:

Do you have any recommendations for the driver tubes as well or did you leave yours stock and just upgrade power tubes to WE's?
I am presently using rca 5692..nice tube

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #3,143 of 3,212
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #3,144 of 3,212
Thank you for your reply even though you've also never heard a 300B amplifier. Tough decision now whether to try the EML 300B 2.5v while waiting for my Envy. I do enjoy my EML 2A3 S very, very much.
300b is all about midrange it's gonna be quite a bit superior to wa33 in that regard. I've lived with both wa33 jps elite and red october for 2 years and they are so different from each other (I haven't heard envy unfortunately)

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #3,145 of 3,212
I haven't even managed to try the Envy!
You're missing out man.
Even if it maybe wouldn't replace any of your gear (because of preference) the Envy is something you at least have to have auditioned, ideally at home (and with Elrog and/or WE300B tubes)

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #3,146 of 3,212
Even though I haven’t tried envy nor the romantic attraction to 300b, I’m sure both wa33 ee and envy pro, are the winner of the chicken dinner.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #3,148 of 3,212
I don't care about midrange really, as I'm a V shape kinda guy. I thought the Envy sounded terrible off the Sus when I heard it at Can Jam. The only thing that might replace my WA33 EE JPS might be the Primavera (from what I've read). Still, I can't see myself ever selling my WA33 EE JPS, but stranger things have been known to happen. 🤷‍♂️

I think the 300B hype might be just that, hype (at least to some extent). I had a 300B estat amp (Woo Audio 3ES Elite) and I used it as a preamp to my CFA3 and it wasn't mind-blowing. I know, I know...the 3ES is controversial, but it was a good preamp (Woo is known for making good preamps). The WA33 EE JPS is just the right amp for me in this sliver of infinity :L3000::pill:

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #3,149 of 3,212
the susvara sounds spectacular with the susvara and the 1266...I think there is as close to a consensus on that as you get in this hobby...I use it with upgraded tubes and it is as good as anything I have heard

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #3,150 of 3,212
the susvara sounds spectacular with the susvara and the 1266...I think there is as close to a consensus on that as you get in this hobby...I use it with upgraded tubes and it is as good as anything I have heard
Have you heard the WA33 EE JPS though? The Envy is definitely the new hype. I dunno, maybe I need to hear it again, but I put on the Sus and listened, and I was like, this is fukcing terrible. I spoke with another summit-fi member about it and he agreed. It coulda been show conditions or a bad chain of course, so I won't write it off completely. I'm gonna go to CanJam Dallas in November, so I'll give it another listen. I really wish I was able to go to CanJam NYC this year (my bro's wedding got in the way). I'll give it another listen, but it's not on my "buy" list by any means. I'll buy the Primavera blind before the Envy for sure 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back