Woo's New Flagship WA33
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,531 of 3,213
I do not mean to be rude or disrespectful, genuinely want to learn - how does synesthesia affect your senses when you listen to "dark music", things like funeral / sad metal, or melancholic songs. What do you see/feel with this type of music? Very curious!
One thing you should know about me is that I'm a fairly negative person (for life reasons that aren't important to this discussion). I hate positively and positive music. I'm used to being in a depressed like state. I can relate and feel depressing music very well. With Funeral Doom, Suicidal/Depressive Black Metal, etc., I see a chasm, with dark waterfalls on the perimeter. I see spikes and sharp edges. With very dense and heavy music, I see waves running through me, from the horizon to my body. It's not a very colorful experience, but I think that fits with depressing music. Basically, I see a gloomy setting. With grindcore or death metal, I see various shapes that turn on and off really quickly to the drums and guitars. I then also see many abstract shapes that play with the different instruments. It's kinda hard to describe. I don't know if that helps, but maybe

The depressing songs fit well with my typical mindstate and emotions. I think that's probably why I am attracted to that kind of music. It's just a more amplified expression of these negative feelings and emotions

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,532 of 3,213
One thing you should know about me is that I'm a fairly negative person (for life reasons that aren't important to this discussion). I hate positively and positive music. I'm used to being in a depressed like state. I can relate and feel depressing music very well. With Funeral Doom, Suicidal/Depressive Black Metal, etc., I see a chasm, with dark waterfalls on the perimeter. I see spikes and sharp edges. With very dense and heavy music, I see waves running through me, from the horizon to my body. It's not a very colorful experience, but I think that fits with depressing music. Basically, I see a gloomy setting. With grindcore or death metal, I see various shapes that turn on and off really quickly to the drums and guitars. I then also see many abstract shapes that play with the different instruments. It's kinda hard to describe. I don't know if that helps, but maybe

The depressing songs fit well with my typical mindstate and emotions. I think that's probably why I am attracted to that kind of music. It's just a more amplified expression of these negative feelings and emotions
Thank you for sharing this so openly, really appreciate it.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,533 of 3,213
If you ever get (even if just a loaner) Rossini for your WA33, please ping me or write a review. That is kinda the direction I am trying to work towards myself. For cost effectivity I am now with Bartok, until I can upgrade to Rossini - yes, I am loving dCS DACs that much. But with Rossini you NEED an amplifier, unless by the time I save up Rossini comes up with a headphone out, haha.

Thank you for sharing. When I was younger and had some weed, I noticed that (if left alone) I lost myself in music more and uplifting songs made me cry with joy, sad songs made me cry with sorrow, and trippy songs made me freak out. Is it something like this for you?
without weed I have these kinds of reactions to music...some music takes me back to my former days, other music upon the first chords make me feel good...others I immediately feel melancholy and these reactions have been amplified as I have moved up the food chain in terms of my equipment

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #1,534 of 3,213
Thank you for sharing this so openly, really appreciate it.
Yeah, I'm pretty open, in general. Which is sometimes good and sometimes bad :beyersmile:

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #1,535 of 3,213
Hi All, I'm hoping for tube advice and recommendations for the WA33 standard edition. The amp has been great so far but i'm an absolute beginner w.r.t. tubes and options. i've tried going through the web for recommendations and options but not too sure where to start in terms of upgrading from the standard tubes to "better" ones. i've gleaned that KR Audio 2A3 HP are potentially good upgrades but i'm lost on the other tubes (6C45 and 5U4G). Would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

I feel perhaps additional detail and openness could be good upgrades to the sound.

Thanks!!

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #1,536 of 3,213
As to the 6C45 pretty much stuck with the Electro Harmonix that Woo offers.

Rectifiers: Sophia 274B Mesh, KR 274B HP, Takatsuki 274B. That is in ascending order of cost. The Sophia is a nice tube that I had in My WA5 and can be had for not much money. I just sold my KR to get another Tak. The KR was very good but not quite up to the Tak. A couple of us had Taks go bad at about one year but hopefully that was just bad luck.

I cannot comment on the KR 2A3 not having heard them. Sophia also makes 2A3 tubes. Woo has explicitly now stated that 300B 2.5V are not recommended for the WA33 so I would not go there. Less expensive are the PSVane tubes. Do a search on this thread and you will find some comments

DO NOT PURCHASE EML TUBES! Warranty issues abound.

If you have the budget go straight to the top. The WA33 will reward you with audio bliss. I will be listening to mine in two minutes. Good luck

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #1,537 of 3,213
As to the 6C45 pretty much stuck with the Electro Harmonix that Woo offers.

Rectifiers: Sophia 274B Mesh, KR 274B HP, Takatsuki 274B. That is in ascending order of cost. The Sophia is a nice tube that I had in My WA5 and can be had for not much money. I just sold my KR to get another Tak. The KR was very good but not quite up to the Tak. A couple of us had Taks go bad at about one year but hopefully that was just bad luck.

I cannot comment on the KR 2A3 not having heard them. Sophia also makes 2A3 tubes. Woo has explicitly now stated that 300B 2.5V are not recommended for the WA33 so I would not go there. Less expensive are the PSVane tubes. Do a search on this thread and you will find some comments

DO NOT PURCHASE EML TUBES! Warranty issues abound.

If you have the budget go straight to the top. The WA33 will reward you with audio bliss. I will be listening to mine in two minutes. Good luck
Thanks! Just to clarify when you say top, are you referring to the Takatsuki 274B? What's the top re. 2A3 tubes?

Thanks again!

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #1,538 of 3,213
Yes I consider the Takatsuki 274B to be the top rectifier. That is why I bought another after my first fried at 13 months on a 12 month warranty with no give and take on the warranty. Fortunately another member sold me his lightly used Tak 274B because he preferred the KR 274B with the KR 2A3 HP tubes. He heard a synergy having the all KR tube lineup. Remember this all subjective since my ears are not yours.

I have the EML 2A3 Mesh. They sound really good but again cannot compare them to KR 2A3. I bought them as a lower cost alternative to KR. Later I gave in to the flavor of the month and bought EML 300B 2.5v before Woo warned against them. Right now half that quad is in Germany awaiting warranty replacement? They have been there two months. The EML 2A3s were very noisy for the first 300 hours before settling down. Even now occasionally they will “burble” for a few minutes. I am just waiting for them to fail. I expect warranty problems and will purchase a KR quad. Again the EMLs sound really good. You”pays your money and takes your chances”

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #1,539 of 3,213
Yes I consider the Takatsuki 274B to be the top rectifier. That is why I bought another after my first fried at 13 months on a 12 month warranty with no give and take on the warranty. Fortunately another member sold me his lightly used Tak 274B because he preferred the KR 274B with the KR 2A3 HP tubes. He heard a synergy having the all KR tube lineup. Remember this all subjective since my ears are not yours.

I have the EML 2A3 Mesh. They sound really good but again cannot compare them to KR 2A3. I bought them as a lower cost alternative to KR. Later I gave in to the flavor of the month and bought EML 300B 2.5v before Woo warned against them. Right now half that quad is in Germany awaiting warranty replacement? They have been there two months. The EML 2A3s were very noisy for the first 300 hours before settling down. Even now occasionally they will “burble” for a few minutes. I am just waiting for them to fail. I expect warranty problems and will purchase a KR quad. Again the EMLs sound really good. You”pays your money and takes your chances”
Very helpful! Thanks so much!

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,541 of 3,213
Hi.. Has anyone had any experience in comparing the the KR Audio 2A3 ( stock ) v the KR Audio 2A3 - HP ( high performance ) ? Any significant difference ?
Interested in this as well

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,542 of 3,213
Hi All, I'm hoping for tube advice and recommendations for the WA33 standard edition. The amp has been great so far but i'm an absolute beginner w.r.t. tubes and options. i've tried going through the web for recommendations and options but not too sure where to start in terms of upgrading from the standard tubes to "better" ones. i've gleaned that KR Audio 2A3 HP are potentially good upgrades but i'm lost on the other tubes (6C45 and 5U4G). Would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

I feel perhaps additional detail and openness could be good upgrades to the sound.

Thanks!!
Hello!
I use wa33 with abyss phi tc headphones.
My favourite tube combination is KR-Audio 274b and KR-Audio 2a3s along with 645 Electro Harmonix.
I feel tak 274b is very good too having used it in my system before.
But with abyss headphones using full KR combination is better sounding for me.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,543 of 3,213
Hello!
I use wa33 with abyss phi tc headphones.
My favourite tube combination is KR-Audio 274b and KR-Audio 2a3s along with 645 Electro Harmonix.
I feel tak 274b is very good too having used it in my system before.
But with abyss headphones using full KR combination is better sounding for me.
Thanks! There seems to be some benefit using tubes from the same manufacturer which I think I’m might go with! Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy and tear a variety of tubes to find the perfect combination…

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,544 of 3,213
Woo has explicitly now stated that 300B 2.5V are not recommended for the WA33
EML 300B 2.5v before Woo warned against them.
@pippen99 when was this statement made by Woo and where I can read it please? I’ve been away from HF for quite sometime and have been running the 300B 2.5V on my WA33.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,545 of 3,213
@pippen99 when was this statement made by Woo and where I can read it please? I’ve been away from HF for quite sometime and have been running the 300B 2.5V on my WA33.

Thanks in advance.
Page 89 of this very thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woos-new-flagship-wa33.843710/page-89#post-16271311

"We do not recommend using 300B (2.5v) tubes with WA33.

We designed WA33 for 2A3 tubes, 300B tubes would impact the designed performance and noise-floor of the amplifier."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back