Woo's New Flagship WA33
Mar 21, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,306 of 3,213
Nah, you made the right call. Black is where it's at! So much easier to add, change, or delete the decor around it based on WAF. I went the exact same route.

Thanks! I can't wait until I receive everything and get it all set up. I expect I won't see the light of day for a while when I finally do...

The Pareto server is quite interesting. It will connect to my Holo May DAC via USB-A to USB-B, then the DAC will connect to the WA33 normally via XLR. But Pareto added a bunch of custom "cool sauce" features and connectivity options. For example, my design includes:
  1. Modular design with a fully external power supply. I'm going with an HDplex to start with, but I can upgrade to a Sean Jacobs, Paul Haynes, etc. whenever I wish. Plug and play.
  2. 4 port PCIE SFP+ fiber NIC
  3. Expandable NVME storage
  4. 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi
  5. Custom BIOS/firmware, CPU clamping, Linux tweaks, shielding, etc., etc. to limit interference, maintain SQ, and provide upscaled content to multiple endpoints at the same time. The last one is a particularly big deal for me. Seems most higher-end streamers have gimped CPUs and can't do this.
  6. Multiple USB-to-fiber network converters that will serve as distributed Roon interface endpoints. These will ride my 10 gig fiber backbone to avoid noisy copper ethernet or wifi signals to maintain end-to-end SQ across the network.
If the Pareto 80/20 mantra is legit ("we aim to deliver a system with 80% or more of the sound quality of a "cost is no object" solution at 20% of the price"), I should be getting a server/streamer that is capable of producing similar SQ as a server in the the $40,000 price range. We shall see. Even if it doesn't, it is incredibly nice to have a boatload of custom options, especially the built-in fiber connectivity. The value here is staggering. I hope the SQ is too...

That sounds pretty awesome. I visited the pareto website after someone else mentioned it but it is pretty spartan and I assume most of the customization is done over the phone.

Holo May to WA33 elite jps sounds endgame to me!

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #1,307 of 3,213
That sounds pretty awesome. I visited the pareto website after someone else mentioned it but it is pretty spartan and I assume most of the customization is done over the phone.

Holo May to WA33 elite jps sounds endgame to me!

Spot on. The website is indeed quite spartan. I discovered that Pareto is actually a one-man operation run by a ridiculously smart (and fairly well connected) ex-Wallstreet IT/Software Engineer named Larry. He starts with a 1hr phone consultation and asks a ton of questions to learn about you, your system, your needs, expectations, etc. Then he gives you three "good, better, best" base options to use as a starting point. Then you work with him to build out exactly what you want. Easy peazy. He offers a 1 year warranty, up to 8 hours of installation support, and free software upgrades. Again, ridiculous value here.

All of this is great, but I want to hear how it actually performs against the Aurenders, Antipodes, and Innuoses of the world. If the folks over at audiophilestyle are any indication, this will likely turn out quite well.

I hope you are right about the May + WA33 combo. I actually don't think the May will balance the WA33 particularly well. Based on my research, it will likely add a little more of what the WA33 does well, then shoot it with steroids. This is actually perfect for my use case and exactly why I chose it. Will be interesting to find out!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,308 of 3,213
Does anybody know the input sensitivity of the WA33? I can't find it in the specifications on the Woo website or in any review. I have a new DAC ordered which has balanced output of 0.2V, 0.6V, 2.0V, or 6.0V. My current DAC has an output of 2.8V. For those of you with DAC's with different options for output, what are you using?
Most people on the DCS forums say the 6.0V sounds better than 2.0V. But that's the beauty of DCS. Just change the output voltage in the app and see which sounds best.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #1,310 of 3,213
the 300b 2.5v are acting up again. the puff/faint pop sound has returned, and is audible even with my susvara and 1266.
have gotten in touch with Jac @ jacmusic and i'm sending one pair (with the affected tube) of the quads back to him. i hope he will just do a straight up swap for a new pair.

have swapped back to the KR 2a3 tubes and wow i'm quite missing the 300b mids and low end.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,311 of 3,213
Does anyone here is using a lampizator tube dac with the WA33? or did used? How is the sound experience using the lamp with wa33?

For who didnt never used a lamp tube dac with the wa33 but have knowloadge in that question, be free to share your opinon about using a tube dac with a tube hp amp like the WA33.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #1,312 of 3,213
the 300b 2.5v are acting up again. the puff/faint pop sound has returned, and is audible even with my susvara and 1266.
have gotten in touch with Jac @ jacmusic and i'm sending one pair (with the affected tube) of the quads back to him. i hope he will just do a straight up swap for a new pair.

have swapped back to the KR 2a3 tubes and wow i'm quite missing the 300b mids and low end.
Did Jac instruct you to send them back? I emailed him and he responded that he would have to check the series number of the tube. That communication took place on 03/08. I nudged him on the 18th with no response yet. This is the communication experience I had when there were shipping issues with my purchase of my 2A3 quad.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,313 of 3,213
Did Jac instruct you to send them back? I emailed him and he responded that he would have to check the series number of the tube. That communication took place on 03/08. I nudged him on the 18th with no response yet. This is the communication experience I had when there were shipping issues with my purchase of my 2A3 quad.

I got in touch 2 days ago, and he emailed back yesterday and suggested either use the tubes some more and see if the issue goes away, or look into exchanging the tubes.

I have been using these tubes since I got them so I figured no point in wasting more time and affecting my listening sessions. It's just an irritation and I wanna solve it as soon as I can so I offered to ship it back on my own cost.

I just hope it gets swapped out for another pair. But I don't know if the return cost will be mine to bear. Will see how he addresses the situation since the tubes are under warranty anyways.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,314 of 3,213
I am the second owner of these but they were purchased originally in 06/2020 and registered for the 5 year warranty. Nowhere on the EML website does it state the warranty is restricted to the original owner and implies that the warranty follows the tube irregardless of ownership(at least in my interpretation). Did you purchase these directly from JacMusic? I contacted the authorized dealer(TubesUSA) who passed me on to Jac. Perhaps Jac just does not like me as my current and past attempts at communication have been very frustrating. If I cannot get this resolved I will sell the three good ones for backups in any combination that someone wants them. I will then wash my hands of Jac and EML at least until my 2A3s go bad and look for alternatives.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,315 of 3,213
I am the second owner of these but they were purchased originally in 06/2020 and registered for the 5 year warranty. Nowhere on the EML website does it state the warranty is restricted to the original owner and implies that the warranty follows the tube irregardless of ownership(at least in my interpretation). Did you purchase these directly from JacMusic? I contacted the authorized dealer(TubesUSA) who passed me on to Jac. Perhaps Jac just does not like me as my current and past attempts at communication have been very frustrating. If I cannot get this resolved I will sell the three good ones for backups in any combination that someone wants them. I will then wash my hands of Jac and EML at least until my 2A3s go bad and look for alternatives.

I actually bought these from George at TubesUSA who then got Jac to send them to me. A bit of a run around..

Good luck with your 2a3 man.. Tubes lol.. Can't live with em can't live without em.

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,316 of 3,213
Next to the 1266TC, what are your guys favorite headphone pairings with the WA33? I feel like I want to give the 800S, and the Utopia's another try since I now have the WA33 and didn't previously when I owned those headphones.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,318 of 3,213
The LCD4 sounds fantastic on the WA33. The TC as well. Others have mentioned the Utopia.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,319 of 3,213
The LCD-4 is so good with the WA33 it is now my only headphone!

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #1,320 of 3,213
Interesting to read of others experience dealing with JAC for EML tubes. I have had no luck at all get him to honor warranty on a tube. I bought pair of 300B 2.5 and after short while one tube started low level sputtering. Sometimes immediately on start up, other times after an hour or more listening. First JAC said I didn't register for warranty (I did). Then said they would replace but none in stock I have to wait for one to be made. That was September last year. No further response to my last 4 monthly emails. Great tubes - crappy distributor. I have another pair of EML 2A3 mesh with plenty of hours and absolutely no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back