Woo's New Flagship WA33
Oct 12, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #468 of 3,212
Do any of you guys use upgraded power cables with the WA33 and notice any difference in the sound? I’ve been using a standard universal plug you’d find in use on any regular receiver or amplifier, but I know the Woo Audio guys always use a nice fat upgraded power cable with the WA33 at shows and swear it’s pretty much “mandatory” to get peak performance. Can anyone attest to any improvements with better power cables? I live in a very new building with very clean power as far as I know so conditioning isn’t really an issue, I’m just wondering if the larger gauge upgrade cables with better conductive materials make a difference if they do in fact deliver more power or current.

power cables "always" make difference.... better cables better sound....

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #469 of 3,212
power cables "always" make difference.... better cables better sound....
Well this is an old one, yeah, bought a WireWorld Silver Electra 7 power cable and the effortlessness to the sound definitely went up a noticeable amount. If not I would’ve returned it. Great purchase.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #471 of 3,212
Sorry for my ambiguity. Let me make it clear. There are two types of noise I can hear.
1. The buzzing noise coming from the amp itself. After I power WA33 on, the machine itself will keep making noise. I sit about 1m away and this type of noise is quite annoying.

2. The buzzing noise heard from the headphone. If I use my Abyss phi, then I cannot hear the noise. But if I use sony CD-900st, even if I turn the volume to the minimum, I can hear the noise from the headphones.

Type one noise is my concern because even if I put on abyss phi, I can still hear the noise from the machine itself.

I have tested my WA33 in different rooms and the noise still exits. The machine has been tested by woo audio again and it should be fine. The bad tubes could be the problem and thank you a lot for your suggestions!

Nice suggestion! I will do some research to see whether DC offset is the root of problem!

Thanks a lot!
My WA33 is buzzing (as in the amp itself). It’s fairly loud. Did you ever find a solution?

Has anybody else found a way to reduce or eliminate the buzz coming from the WA33, itself?

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #473 of 3,212
What rectifier tube are you using?
Interesting you mention that. Matter of fact, I think this buzzing started after installing the Takatsuki ta274b:

https://wooaudio.com/tubes/takatsuki-ta274b-each

I really like the sound of the Taktsuki, so if buzzing is a tradeoff, I guess I'll just get used to it. Is that what is happening?

I'm just worried if something is wrong with my amp. I'll try the stock rectifier tube tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #474 of 3,212
So, using the stock issue rectifier my amp buzzed, and while the Brimar 5Z4GY it is dead silent! I don't choose to use either of these, I choose to use the UE 596 which buzzes too, but it doesn't bother me because I know it's the rectifier and not the amp.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #475 of 3,212
My WA33 is buzzing (as in the amp itself). It’s fairly loud. Did you ever find a solution?

Has anybody else found a way to reduce or eliminate the buzz coming from the WA33, itself?

Not solved. I did send the amp back to factory and replaced the power supply. I tried different tubes and nothing changed. Now this amp is eating dust on my shelf.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #476 of 3,212
Not solved. I did send the amp back to factory and replaced the power supply. I tried different tubes and nothing changed. Now this amp is eating dust on my shelf.
Hmm...I guess this might be an issue with the design then. Some posters were saying power might be an issue. I tried different cords, on and off the power conditioner. Nothing. I haven’t tried a power plant though. I gotta try the old tubes too.

with headphones on and music playing I don’t notice the buzzing. But if I’m using it as a preamp, it’s noticeable. I don’t need a preamp like that at the moment, but it’s something I need to look into.

I appreciate your quick response. I hope I can get this fixed, or at least become okay with the buzzing sound

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #477 of 3,212
Interesting you mention that. Matter of fact, I think this buzzing started after installing the Takatsuki ta274b:

https://wooaudio.com/tubes/takatsuki-ta274b-each

I really like the sound of the Taktsuki, so if buzzing is a tradeoff, I guess I'll just get used to it. Is that what is happening?

I'm just worried if something is wrong with my amp. I'll try the stock rectifier tube tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks!

I have never had buzzing on my WA33 after installing the Tak 274B in fact I thought it is one of the quietest tubes.I have never had any buzzing from my WA33, I would look at the driver tubes 1st and try changing them from one channel to the other.

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #478 of 3,212
I have never had buzzing on my WA33 after installing the Tak 274B in fact I thought it is one of the quietest tubes.I have never had any buzzing from my WA33, I would look at the driver tubes 1st and try changing them from one channel to the other.
I believe he is referring to the ambient noise (buzzing) coming from the amplifier itself.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #480 of 3,212
It maybe you have a large amount of RFI entering your home, or something electrical in your home is causing this. May I suggest you leave the amp on and then try switching off one by one the various safety switches in your home switchboard. It could be a simple as a defective Fridge motor or A/C.

It can't hurt to experiment like this. I would also try removing the input cables. Are you running the Amp in balanced mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back