Woo's New Flagship WA33
Nov 12, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #496 of 3,213
I would be interested in that comparison. I have the Tc and had and sold the Utopia. I felt the Tc did everything the Utopia did but with a bigger soundstage and much deeper harder hitting bass. Have been curious about the Susvara for a while.

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #497 of 3,213
When I spoke to Jack in person he mentioned the PSvanes are the best tubes for "quite" sound eg.. eliminates buzzing... for those of you struggling with that.
Thank you! I indeed bought the PSv tubes from wooaudio and it did not help.
I also guess Jack is talking about the buzzing/noise at audio output stage(what you hear in your headphones) but not the amp itself. The later one is our concern.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #500 of 3,213
I own the Utopia (not the WA33 or Elite version) and the first time I listened to them with the Axios AG cable powered by the WA33 Elite my jaw dropped. That's the best I have heard the Utopia. I bought the Axios AG cable for mine and got close to the sound I heard with the WA33 Elite but not 100% there.
The bass at the beginning of Sting's A Thousand Years was just thunderous, tight and clean. Those who say the Utopia has no bass should listen to that combination.
Still doesn’t beat your 009 setup though :wink:

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #501 of 3,213
Delivered 12/27/2019. Woo WA33 Elite Edition. EH 6C45 and Takatsuki TA-274B upgrade. Still awaiting deliver of EML 2A3 Mesh form Germany. About 30 hours in and sounds great. Just wish the EMLs were here to burn in at the same time. IMG_20191231_120551098.jpg

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #502 of 3,213
Delivered 12/27/2019. Woo WA33 Elite Edition. EH 6C45 and Takatsuki TA-274B upgrade. Still awaiting deliver of EML 2A3 Mesh form Germany. About 30 hours in and sounds great. Just wish the EMLs were here to burn in at the same time.

Beautiful... The sound of the tubes will improve with every use. :smile_phones:

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #505 of 3,213
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #506 of 3,213
Hey Joseph,

JPS also offers their own flavors of the WA33 which is an in-betweener. It also appears to offer upgraded power tubes. Looks like JPS does their own take on some of the internals.
Apologies. I had no idea JPS had their own edition of the WA33. Seems it's only their (JPS) wiring and partner upgraded KR power & rectifier tubes.
:beerchug:

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #507 of 3,213
Hey Joseph,

JPS also offers their own flavors of the WA33 which is an in-betweener. It also appears to offer upgraded power tubes. Looks like JPS does their own take on some of the internals.

https://abyss-headphones.com/collec...oo-audio-wa33-headphone-amplifier-jps-edition

It is my understanding the the Elite version on Woo's site also has the Alumiloy® wiring. I could be wrong, but i remember joe saying that to me when i was first looking at the WA33 EE.

Also, based on the pricing, the JPS version looks like a regular WA33 with the upgraded wiring and the tube upgrades. So i'm guessing an Elite WA33 (which to my knowledge has the upgraded wiring) has other upgraded components, with the KR HP Tube set and gold pins EH would outperform the JPS version, albiet coming in around $19k vs the JPS' $13k version.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #508 of 3,213
It is my understanding the the Elite version on Woo's site also has the Alumiloy® wiring. I could be wrong, but i remember joe saying that to me when i was first looking at the WA33 EE.

Also, based on the pricing, the JPS version looks like a regular WA33 with the upgraded wiring and the tube upgrades. So i'm guessing an Elite WA33 (which to my knowledge has the upgraded wiring) has other upgraded components, with the KR HP Tube set and gold pins EH would outperform the JPS version, albiet coming in around $19k vs the JPS' $13k version.

That is not correct sorry. Woo Audio's WA 33 Elite does not use JPS wiring. Only the JPS version does. The JPS versions also comes with a recommended upgrade of the KR 2A3 HP tubes which JPS Labs helped develop with KR, in fact it was more a case of built to order spec. JPS Labs did the metallurgy and changed the spec, they bias the same, but I can directly attest to the fact that the KR 2A3's do not sound as good as the KR 2A3 HP's, which IMHO are amongst the best tubes new production tubes for the WA 33. Also worth a mention are the EML 2A3 tubes in either Mesh or Plate versions. EML offer a 5 year guarantee on their tubes which make them a good proposition.

I have both the Mesh and the Plate versions of the EML's, however I could not tell which sounds best as I no longer have my WA 33 Elite and I never got to try them. They are still sitting in their boxes.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #509 of 3,213
That is not correct sorry. Woo Audio's WA 33 Elite does not use JPS wiring. Only the JPS version does. The JPS versions also comes with a recommended upgrade of the KR 2A3 HP tubes which JPS Labs helped develop with KR, in fact it was more a case of built to order spec. JPS Labs did the metallurgy and changed the spec, they bias the same, but I can directly attest to the fact that the KR 2A3's do not sound as good as the KR 2A3 HP's, which IMHO are amongst the best tubes new production tubes for the WA 33. Also worth a mention are the EML 2A3 tubes in either Mesh or Plate versions. EML offer a 5 year guarantee on their tubes which make them a good proposition.

I have both the Mesh and the Plate versions of the EML's, however I could not tell which sounds best as I no longer have my WA 33 Elite and I never got to try them. They are still sitting in their boxes.

Noted. Interesting, the question i have now is, which sounds better, Woo's WA33 EE or the JPS version. As mentioned before i am guessing JPS version is based off standard WA33 due to the price.
Also i have the 274B HR HP in my amp now, and i also got the quad 2A3 HPs, but 1 of the tubes arrived bad, a replacement set is stuck in customs at the moment, hoping to get them this week.

How does the EML stuff compare to the KR HPs though? not sure if you got around to a comparison.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #510 of 3,213
Noted. Interesting, the question i have now is, which sounds better, Woo's WA33 EE or the JPS version. As mentioned before i am guessing JPS version is based off standard WA33 due to the price.
Also i have the 274B HR HP in my amp now, and i also got the quad 2A3 HPs, but 1 of the tubes arrived bad, a replacement set is stuck in customs at the moment, hoping to get them this week.

How does the EML stuff compare to the KR HPs though? not sure if you got around to a comparison.

Ah now that's a PM discussion based on other people's feedback, not sure if even appropriate that I even speculate, its the old story if I haven't heard it myself, then I probably shouldn't be dishing out opinions about it. PM me and we can do the loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back