Woo's New Flagship WA33
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #140 of 3,213
Thank you! Do you have any special power preprocessing? Which input voltage setting do you use? 110, 115 or 120v?
I’m using a Shunyata Triton V3 for power. The voltage is set to 120. How is yours set?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #141 of 3,213
I’m using a Shunyata Triton V3 for power. The voltage is set to 120. How is yours set?
Thank you for your feedback! I do not have any power preprocessing right now. I directly connect to the stock.

I sit about 1 meter away and I can hear the amp keeping making electrical buzz noise like the power transformer.

When talking about the noise out from the headphones driven by my WA33. There is no audible noise for abyss phi. But when I use sony cd-900st, then I can hear the noise loudly even if at minimal volume.

The buzzing noise from the machine itself is pretty annoying. I think I need to find a place to audit another WA33 to confirm whether it is the normal condition or not.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #142 of 3,213
Mine is dead silent even when I am less then a foot away.

When listening to my abyss it is dead silent as well. I sit about 4 feet away.

I use 115 and an emotiva spike strip.

I had my WA5-LE plugged into an Equi=Tech balanced transformer in turn plugged into a PS Audio P10 and it was dead silent even with my old WE 300B’s, but I use of a lot of power treatments because of where I live. You could try a Shunyata Denali.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #144 of 3,213
Thank you for your feedback! I do not have any power preprocessing right now. I directly connect to the stock.

I sit about 1 meter away and I can hear the amp keeping making electrical buzz noise like the power transformer.

When talking about the noise out from the headphones driven by my WA33. There is no audible noise for abyss phi. But when I use sony cd-900st, then I can hear the noise loudly even if at minimal volume.

The buzzing noise from the machine itself is pretty annoying. I think I need to find a place to audit another WA33 to confirm whether it is the normal condition or not.
Sometimes transformers can be sensitive to the noise of the AC coming in. I have experiences when depending the time of the day I can hear some transformer hum out of my amps. a lot of times is at peak demand time.
I would suggest like others here to use a power treatment device.

In regards of noise out of your headphones, it is common to hear some noise on efficient headphones when use with high power/high gain amplifiers.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #145 of 3,213
I run my WA5-LE and Ancillary equipment through a PS Audio P5 for virtually silent results. PS Audio is unique in that it doesn’t clean power it regenerates it. I also use very high end cables for the rejection of RFI and EMI for a black background.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #146 of 3,213
Sometimes transformers can be sensitive to the noise of the AC coming in. I have experiences when depending the time of the day I can hear some transformer hum out of my amps. a lot of times is at peak demand time.
I would suggest like others here to use a power treatment device.

In regards of noise out of your headphones, it is common to hear some noise on efficient headphones when use with high power/high gain amplifiers.

Thank you! My AC source could be dirty and I should buy a power treatment device to test again.

Also thanks a lot for watchdog57 and andyschaub's suggestions.

You mentioned that there are some devices like Equi=Tech balanced transformer, PS Audio P10, Shunyata Denali. Do you have any link to the balanced transformer? What are the differences between them?

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #147 of 3,213
Thank you! My AC source could be dirty and I should buy a power treatment device to test again.

You mentioned that there are some devices like Equi=Tech balanced transformer, PS Audio P10, Shunyata Denali. Do you have any link to the balanced transformer? What are the differences between them?

Are you turning the volume up all the way to hear the noise, or hearing it at normal listening levels? If you’re hearing any kind of buzz at normal listening levels on an $8000 amp, your first step should be to send it in for service. That’s not normal, regardless of how dirty the power you’re feeding it with might be.

Also, you’re original post is a little ambiguous. Is the buzz coming from the amp itself, or through the headphonenes? If the former, that suggests something like a loose winding in a power transformer (though I’m not really an expert on headphone amp design). Again, though, almost certainly a problem with the amp.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #148 of 3,213
Are you turning the volume up all the way to hear the noise, or hearing it at normal listening levels? If you’re hearing any kind of buzz at normal listening levels on an $8000 amp, your first step should be to send it in for service. That’s not normal, regardless of how dirty the power you’re feeding it with might be.

Also, you’re original post is a little ambiguous. Is the buzz coming from the amp itself, or through the headphonenes? If the former, that suggests something like a loose winding in a power transformer (though I’m not really an expert on headphone amp design). Again, though, almost certainly a problem with the amp.

Cleaning up your power and inoculating your system against stray EMI and RFI will probably not fix this problem if it is related to a hardware issue. Try a different outlet in another room that isn't on the same circuit. My feeling here is that it's hardware. Now on the flip side I have had tubes with a problem that weren't evident until I checked them on two tube testers. A bad tube will hum at the output a bad transformer could in theory buzz. They can resonate at 60 hz?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #149 of 3,213

The problem sounds like DC offset. There are some fairly cheap alternatives to clear that out.
https://www.pooraudiophile.com/2015/03/how-to-fix-dc-offset-and-transformer.html

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #150 of 3,213

Users who are viewing this thread

Back