Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
May 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #736 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are not bass heavy headphones...

Skylab said earlier that these have *more* bass than the HD25-1s--am trying to get a feel for this.

I'm satisfied with both "depth" and "quantity" of HD25-1 bass. And, at least in *my* opinion, these are definitely not skewed towards "midbass" as has been asserted with the ESW9.

Even the ES7 really has enough bass quantity for me in a portable--but at least to my ears the HD25-1s are *much* deeper and possess more quantity of bass--by far--than the ES7. Just my perception.

However, if the bass in ESW9 is any less present in quantity and depth than the ES7 (which I consider "lighter" in bass along with being more "forward" than HD25-1) then I doubt I will enjoy them much.

Could anyone clarify?

May 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #737 of 1,087
They're the bassiest cans I have, but again my D2 is on 8/10 of Mach3Bass.

May 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #738 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're the bassiest cans I have, but again my D2 is on 8/10 of Mach3Bass.

In this case you're hearing the D2 and not the headphones. Or to be more exact, you're hearing the distortion from the bass processing algorithms more than the D2 and the headphones.

May 16, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #739 of 1,087
I've been trying to talk myself out of these for months. No good. I'm going to Japan in a couple of weeks, and I'll probably come back with a pair. And I just bought my 780's too...

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #741 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would someone compare these to some SR-225's?

SR-225 is brighter, these have better bass/lower mids. Also, these have some sense of a soundstage and instrument positioning while SR-225 is extremely up front.

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #742 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this case you're hearing the D2 and not the headphones. Or to be more exact, you're hearing the distortion from the bass processing algorithms more than the D2 and the headphones.

Then how do you explain when I put my 595s in, the bass is non-existent.

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #743 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-225 is brighter, these have better bass/lower mids. Also, these have some sense of a soundstage and instrument positioning while SR-225 is extremely up front.

Thanks.

Are these good for metal, ska, and jazz?

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #744 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab said earlier that these have *more* bass than the HD25-1s--am trying to get a feel for this.

I'm satisfied with both "depth" and "quantity" of HD25-1 bass. And, at least in *my* opinion, these are definitely not skewed towards "midbass" as has been asserted with the ESW9.

Even the ES7 really has enough bass quantity for me in a portable--but at least to my ears the HD25-1s are *much* deeper and possess more quantity of bass--by far--than the ES7. Just my perception.

However, if the bass in ESW9 is any less present in quantity and depth than the ES7 (which I consider "lighter" in bass along with being more "forward" than HD25-1) then I doubt I will enjoy them much.

Could anyone clarify?

I know what Skylab is getting at but I would describe it more as the ESW9s are thicker and warmer than the HD-25s, i.e. the difference is more in the mids and the overall balance than the bass specifically.

I think its hard to compare the ESW9 and the ES7, they sound quite different. The ESW9 sounds more natural and detailed, everything about it is better. I wouldn't say they are less bassy than the ES7, the bass is much better quality and less intrusive on the overall balance.

I found the ESW9s a definite improvement over the HD-25s (and preferred the HD-25s over the ES7s). They are still a little too spiked at both ends of the spectrum for my tastes but the respond well to EQing.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #745 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then how do you explain when I put my 595s in, the bass is non-existent.

Thats cause you are listening to mostly HD595 - those things have no bass to speak of unless driven with lots and lots of power.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #746 of 1,087
Exactly. If 595s have no bass, the bass with my ESW9s is not D2 created.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #748 of 1,087
Received them today and WOW. Even without burnin it is a clear improvement over the stock cable. It is basically doing much the same thing to these as the Ety cable does for them. The reservations I had about the top end sometimes sounding edgy has all but gone and the whole sound is just meatier and the bottom end is firmer. And it can only get better from here with burnin. I had not realised that the V3 cable is much thicker and stiffer than the V2 but as I will only be using these phones in a rig that I set up at the hotel room and not on the road that does not matter. This setup with the Sony cd player and iBasso D1 plus ESW9 is going to make it a joy to stay at hotels, I almost will not miss my main home rig.

This is what they look like, notice how thin the original cable is in comparison.

1.jpg

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #749 of 1,087
Dang... i'm close to making the cable my next purchase.....

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #750 of 1,087
Not on this site often these days but another summer and I though this year I should make my audio toy full sized headphones
biggrin.gif
Can't afford to go down the portable route and buy 5 pairs, so after much reading I think I have settled on ESW9's

Trying to work out how to get a pair to the UK. Any suggestions apart from pricejapan or audiocubes?

And regarding the V3 cable... I can't find these phones on the site? Or are you guys sending in your own pair for a recable job?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back