Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
May 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #721 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone done it, it's in this thread somewhere. IIRC some minor improvement, nothing major. ATH usually does not cheap out on the cables, except may be low level models.

The cable on my A900s was the most impressive thing to me out of the box, mainly because it is coated in a knitted fabric. Wish they did that on the ESW9s.

Although using lamb skin instead of pleather on the earpads is genius. Lol, my Mom said a lamb had died to make my headphones, more like a lamb had died to make some lamb chops and pick a slaugtherhouse without tonnes of fur piling up.

May 9, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #722 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable on my A900s was the most impressive thing to me out of the box, mainly because it is coated in a knitted fabric. Wish they did that on the ESW9s.

Guess that would make it thicker and more microphonic, which might not be very practical for a portable application. W5000 probably has the best stock cable I've seen to day, and AD2000 next.

May 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #723 of 1,087
Its not particularly thick[its a single cable not much thicker than one of the stock 650 wires] and strange you'd say it because I'd say material is completely unmicrophonic.

Also it doesn't tend to get tangled.

May 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #724 of 1,087
Quote:

Its not particularly thick[its a single cable not much thicker than one of the stock 650 wires] and strange you'd say it because I'd say material is completely unmicrophonic.

Also it doesn't tend to get tangled.

I owned A900 in the past.

May 9, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #725 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned A900 in the past.

Its cable thickness is a fact, in terms of all headphones ever made, its probably comparatively quick thick, but not in the world of full-size cans.

Its microphonic and anti-tangling qualities are taken from experience, i.e. I have never met either.

Guess that would make it thicker and more microphonic,

Why do you have to guess? Doesn't sound much like an ex-owner.

May 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #726 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcp56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found this on the Apuresound re-cable, Looks like it tightens up the bass some......its' up to you about the price....

Thanks, I'll decide about APS recabling after a reasonable period of burn-in.

Ciao

May 9, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #727 of 1,087
I definitely do not get the not suitable for metal opinion. I'd say they certainly rock severely.
icon10.gif

May 9, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #728 of 1,087
Quote:

I definitely do not get the not suitable for metal opinion. I'd say they certainly rock severely.
icon10.gif

INDEED. Glad you agree
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #729 of 1,087
While testing my new ESW9 I have connected them to the Pico (until then I was using the Predator) and WOW!!!
The result is simply TERRIFIC, everything goes in the right place!
No more "too warm" sound, deep but controlled bass, no harshness in the highs, beautiful transparent mids with huge dynamic and details!

I'm really astonished because with most of my others headphones I really prefer the Predator for the same reasons...

The only answer is: in hi-fi sinergy is all.

May 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #730 of 1,087
As proof of their greatness, I have 650s as my primary cans, but I have hardly used them since these beauts came. Straight out of my D2 too.

The way they twist is awesome too, so you can fit them over slanted ears. T minus 120 hours burn-in...

May 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #731 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes to Jazz and Classic no to heavy metal and hard rock. Yes to acoustic music.

This assessment was awhile ago--but does it still stand? If so, these (as opposed to HD-25-1 and ES7--both of which I like) are not going to be a good choice for me.

May 16, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #732 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This assessment was awhile ago--but does it still stand? If so, these (as opposed to HD-25-1 and ES7--both of which I like) are not going to be a good choice for me.

This opinion confuses me, said it before, several others did too...I think it is superb for metal, had it 8 days now and played nothing else on it.

It may be altered a bit by my D2 being on the 'MET' EQ and lots of 'jeteffects'.

Not tried it in place of my 650s, one day...

May 16, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #733 of 1,087
Agreed. I think it's great across all genres.

May 16, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #734 of 1,087
Love these phones more and more. Rock and metal sound great. My RS-1's destroy them on the acoustic stuff though. They just lack the air and nuance. But damn they are fun
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #735 of 1,087
Love the lamb-skin earpads, are they on R10s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back