Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #691 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Porcupine Tree a lot (Dream Theater too), and they sound great on my D2 > Corda Move > ATH-ESW9. Tristania, Sirenia, Opeth, Therion and other metal bands, they all sound great to my ears.

As far as sound enhancements on the D2 go, the only I use is BBE (set to 1). No M3B (not needed on these cans, unless you're bass-a-holic), no EQ'ing...

I love many girly metal-bands, i.e. Nightwish, Within Temptation, Epica, After Forever, Tristania, Aghora, Leave's Eyes, Beto Vasquez, Lacuna Coil, and Therion/Ayreon are somewhat in this category.

Anyway about DSPing[Digital Sound Processing, like EQplus] on the D2 or any player for that matter, it only enhances playback, obviously anything you find bad gets turned off.
I subscribe to enhancements.

About my ESW9s, I ordered from AC, midnight on Thursgday[yes I overpaid $325]. Got my delivered email from Japanpost EMS about 12 hours later.
cool.gif

Hopefully come by Tuesday/Wednesday...got 'burn-in' folder on my D2 primed.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #692 of 1,087
Great to know your ESW9s are going to arrive soon. And yeah, Nightwish, Epica, After Forever and Lacuna Coil kick ass.

About D2 sound enhancements, yes they're great and I use them with other HPs/IEMs too, but the ESW9s don't need them (to my liking). Those and my AD2Ks are in a upper tier in this regard, compared to my other HPs.
cool.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #693 of 1,087
I am also a big fan of Nightwish, Darkwell, Tristania, and Sirenia. And they all sound great with the ESW9.

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #694 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to know your ESW9s are going to arrive soon. And yeah, Nightwish, Epica, After Forever and Lacuna Coil kick ass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also a big fan of Nightwish, Darkwell, Tristania, and Sirenia. And they all sound great with the ESW9.

Try out Within Temptation, awesome band. Sharon Den Adel is wonderous.

'Silent Force'.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #695 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try out Within Temptation, awesome band. Sharon Den Adel is wonderous.

'Silent Force'.

I will do that! Another reason I love head-fi - great music recommendations
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #696 of 1,087
^ Possible bias, as I've seen their DVD concert a million times. Sharon's not traditionally pretty, but I'd do her. Shame her boyfriend is the guitarist...

He'd beat me up!
Robert_Westerholt-12343.jpg

Definitely squeezed into my Top5.

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #697 of 1,087
Cristina Scabbia.
wink.gif

img.cgi

(off-topic, sorry!)

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #698 of 1,087
^^^ I picked up Lacuna Coil's Karmacode today - nice record.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #699 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sharon's not traditionally pretty,....

Oh no! I always thought she was THE prettiest of them all.

WithinTemptation3.jpg

And great voice to top it off.

20060526_WT_Bathmen_IMG_4096.jpg

May 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #700 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by skratchmasterjamesyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to everything on my unamped Ipod from Hiphop to Jazz to Rock to Reggae for the last 6 hours .. some things sound incredible to me (Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano at low volumes).. but at high volumes esp the high fqs were ear piercing..

I'm normally used to blasting my ears without them hurting (if this makes any sense!)
Is this because I need to burn these in ?
Is it cause I'm used to my bass heavy DJ cans?

it sounds like you have the ones that emphasize the upper mids/highs a little more than the lower mids/bass.

yes, if you turn the volume up too high, you can get this affect. however, personally, i don't feel the need to turn these things up that high because i feel that they're dynamic and detailed enough at moderate levels to please.

the recording also plays a big role. if your recording contains a lot of hiss and sibilance, you will hear it even more on cans like these. even cans that have more laid back (upper) mids, such as Denon D2000's can get a tad annoying with these types of recordings.

now go and throw on some music with females vocals. these esw9's sound downright yummy here. don't know if you're a fan of Yukimi Nagano (featured on Koop, Hird and Little Dragon albums), but the sound is fantastic - my D2000's really cannot compare in this regard. i can only imagine how good the AT AD2000's would sound.

May 6, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #701 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ I picked up Lacuna Coil's Karmacode today - nice record.

I think Lacuna Coil are a bit ignored. Granted nothing stands out, but its all pretty good.

...and of course Christina.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #702 of 1,087
I've just received my ESW9, right out of the box running out of my Predator (who has 200 hours) they sound ok but "dark", are they gonna change after the burn-in?
How many hours do they need?

Thanks

May 6, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #703 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by nettuno65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received my ESW9, right out of the box running out of my Predator (who has 200 hours) they sound ok but "dark", are they gonna change after the burn-in?

Thanks

Same here. Out of my Aria they sound very dark. Just got them some minutes ago. But I’m coming from a DT880.
Won’t say they’re bad though, that’s just something I did not expect. Letting them burn in now.
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #704 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by nettuno65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

I always give new cans significant burn-in out of the box, a few days before listenage, then overnight until a good 1000 hours is reached.

Dunno how folks deny the effects of burn-in...its about as noticable to me as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Also, as an engineer, it is hardly an alien concept. New stuff 'breaks-in' every day.

May 6, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #705 of 1,087
You have to test a bit with the position on your head. I just discovered, that it has a noticeable effect on the sound. Like pushing them back and forward a bit - can’t describe it that well, just try some different position, it actually changes the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back