Wooden portable ATH-ESW9 arrived! (with pics)
Apr 3, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #661 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A must try for every ESW9 owner. Huge difference in presentation and refinement.

Well, there goes the bothering comfort issue.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #662 of 1,087
Well that's a change. Pricejapan lowered the ESW9 back down to $303 shipped EMS.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #663 of 1,087
Hi All!
My 1st post so please be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Im new to this audiophile stuff.. been djing hiphop/funk since i was a kiddo (for bout 12 years now) and Technics1200 cans were all I needed.. until i read this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

My ESW9s just arrived today from warehouse123 .. quick postage from HK to Aus.. and really nice guys on the phone too..

I've listened to everything on my unamped Ipod from Hiphop to Jazz to Rock to Reggae for the last 6 hours .. some things sound incredible to me (Drums, Bass, Guitar, Piano at low volumes).. but at high volumes esp the high fqs were ear piercing..

I'm normally used to blasting my ears without them hurting (if this makes any sense!)
Is this because I need to burn these in ?
Is it cause I'm used to my bass heavy DJ cans?
I'm considering putting these up for trade for some nicely cabled HD-25s (cardas or dragons 1/8").. listened to my mates HD-25s w/ stock cable and quite liked it (esp w hiphop)... but like u guys have said the soundstage didnt match the ESW9s.

Sorry in advance if Im asking stupid Qs..

Thanks for all your advice and opinions.. makes for great reading !

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #665 of 1,087
Hello guys, i'm using a HD25-1 right now hooked to iPod touch. I like it but i can't stand the sibilant sometimes (I think i have a sensitive ear) and the soundstage could be bigger. Will i be satisfied if i sell the HD25-1 and get the ESW9 instead? I need something that is more smooth and not as aggresive as the HD25-1, and have bigger soundstage.

Besides, the clamping force is killing my head.
frown.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #667 of 1,087
Everything but the bigger soundstage you will have - I am not sure how good soundstaging on the Senn HD25 is.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #668 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THe sound stage is tiny im both cases, so don't even think about it.

Interesting, I didn't find ESW9 soundstage "tiny".
confused.gif

May be because I made them fit looser to cut off unwanted bass and angle cups forward, but they are quite airy now and have substantial for their size soundstage. More than DT250, a tad less than K271S.
But they do have quite hot treble, makes them fun to listen, and it's still under pain inducing threshold but after listening to them it feels like all my other phones have severe treble roll off. They've really started growing on me, just the right mixture of refinement and aggressiveness for portable cans. Sound just fine unamped out of Zune, Pico is just icing the cake.

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #669 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by outbreak123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys, i'm using a HD25-1 right now hooked to iPod touch. I like it but i can't stand the sibilant sometimes (I think i have a sensitive ear) and the soundstage could be bigger. Will i be satisfied if i sell the HD25-1 and get the ESW9 instead? I need something that is more smooth and not as aggresive as the HD25-1, and have bigger soundstage.

Besides, the clamping force is killing my head.
frown.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wanted to chime in on something I found out about the HD25-1. It appears that the sibilance goes away when it's properly sourced/amped, even if it's a portable DAC/amp. It sounded very metallic out of the box, but hooking it up to a Leckerton Audio UHA-3 made the highs much smoother.

I've read that the stock cable on these is also really bad, so you might want to consider replacing that. If the clamping force is killing your head, though, it might be more worthwhile to try out another option.

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #670 of 1,087
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to chime in on something I found out about the HD25-1. It appears that the sibilance goes away when it's properly sourced/amped, even if it's a portable DAC/amp. It sounded very metallic out of the box, but hooking it up to a Leckerton Audio UHA-3 made the highs much smoother.

I've read that the stock cable on these is also really bad, so you might want to consider replacing that. If the clamping force is killing your head, though, it might be more worthwhile to try out another option.

Maybe you're right. It sounds so metallic, and i could recable it. But there's something that really makes me wanted to get the ESW-9. The sexy look of the woods and it looks much more comfortable. IMO Hd25-1 looks so dorky.

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #671 of 1,087
Yeah, the ESW9 are damn sexy (not that I think the HD25-1s are dorky), and I would say they sound as great as they look. As for comfort, I can wear them for 3+ hours straight.

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #673 of 1,087
Some eyecandy...
wink.gif

_ESW9_09.jpg

_ESW9_04.jpg

_ESW9_11.jpg

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #674 of 1,087
Okay thanks people, i found that HD25-1 is really good for rock. Is ESW9 good for rock too? no i know it'll not be as good for rock as Grados, but is it good enough?

I'm looking forward to order the ESW-9 soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #675 of 1,087
Well it satisfies Grado-fans as a portable option...so I guess it definitely is good enough for rock =].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back