wood sided enclosures?
Dec 15, 2007 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
anyone know of a place that sells/manufactures wood sided or wood enclosures? i was looking at some great looking IAG ones that they USED to offer from parts connexion, but no longer carry them. im looking for something similar to that general idea, with SOME wood at least, more or less is ok. any suggestions at all please let me know. im located in canada, dont know if that will make a substantial difference for ordering or not.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcantHearU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure of their current status - (I remember reading of some delays and such), but Welborne has some nice wood sided chassis -

Welborne Labs Hardwood Chassis

I would tread very carefully dealing with Welborne. I haven't heard anything good about them in ages and mostly horror stories. Shame really, my first few dealings with them were very good.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 21
You could always DIY your own wood panels. They could be attached to an off-the-shelf chassis, or you could also DIY the chassis too.

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always DIY your own wood panels. They could be attached to an off-the-shelf chassis, or you could also DIY the chassis too.

Yep that's what I do. It's pretty simple if you have some tools. I also make faceplate trim, and it's a pretty simple process, as well as enjoyable.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 21
Vancouver is a big city, you should have a shop there that sells specialty woods to woodworkers, as opposed to a lumber mill for construction.

Find that place and pay them a visit. Most of them have an on-site shop where they will cut wood to your specifications. Generally, the prices are $1-$3 per cut or maybe $40 a hour. Cutting four sides off a piece of wood would probably take 5-8 cuts (depending on what the piece you start with is like) or 15-20 minutes. You should be able to have the cuts made somewhere between $10 and $20. And that will be on pro equipment by someone who really knows what he's doing.

If there is no shop, they *will* have a bulletin board up somewhere. Tack up a flier asking for help building cases and offer to pay. You should get multiple calls from hobbyists happy to help.

You might even want to pay a few dollars more for them to dovetail the sides or some other joinery. Don't be afraid to ask - woodworkers are just as geeky as we are and they will talk your ear off about the different things you can do. Some of them are incredibly cool, so be sure to ask.

As for the top and bottom, go order some nice aluminum sheets. Here's one place that does it with no minimum orders:

Speedy Metals

Use those for the top and bottom and you're set. Also, there are good aluminum plates and offcuts available on eBay.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 21
I'd just make the box myself. You only need to get four pieces of wood cut for you then glue them together... you don't even need the corners mitred (though of course that would be nice).

In Vancouver, PJ White Hardwoods is very good for buying whatever woods you need. If you're ever on Vancouver Island, Westwind Hardwoods is very good too. Neither really caters to the small buyer specifically, but they will sell stuff to small hobbyists and neither one gouges you. If you're looking for a more conventional retail store, head over to Windsor Plywood. They usually have a good stock of exotic woods and they will cut for you if you ask.

If you'd rather do the cutting yourself, just get a cheap plastic mitre box and a saw... it won't cost you more than $15 for the tools and you'll be able to build exactly what you want.

Dec 16, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd just make the box myself. You only need to get four pieces of wood cut for you then glue them together... you don't even need the corners mitred (though of course that would be nice).

In Vancouver, PJ White Hardwoods is very good for buying whatever woods you need. If you're ever on Vancouver Island, Westwind Hardwoods is very good too. Neither really caters to the small buyer specifically, but they will sell stuff to small hobbyists and neither one gouges you. If you're looking for a more conventional retail store, head over to Windsor Plywood. They usually have a good stock of exotic woods and they will cut for you if you ask.

If you'd rather do the cutting yourself, just get a cheap plastic mitre box and a saw... it won't cost you more than $15 for the tools and you'll be able to build exactly what you want.

that is exactly what im looking for ironically! im actually doing a bit of a custom jobby on the case, but what i do need is basically a "base plate". i was thinking something of some nice looking wood that i can maybe stain etc myself. so basically i need a 3/4 inch thick (roughly give or take) sheet that is about 1 foot by 1 foot square. which place would u recommend for this alan? since i will be doing the shopping for this in vancouver, seems like u know yer stuff!
wink.gif
you mentioned they will do the cutting for you if u want, does that include actually finishing the edges decently, or will i need to router them myself? ive got tablesaw/mitre/router so its not the end of the world if i hafta do it myself but if they will, itll save me some time! what would u recommend, and based on your experience, any rough idea on how much this is gunna dent my wallet?

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is exactly what im looking for ironically! im actually doing a bit of a custom jobby on the case, but what i do need is basically a "base plate". i was thinking something of some nice looking wood that i can maybe stain etc myself. so basically i need a 3/4 inch thick (roughly give or take) sheet that is about 1 foot by 1 foot square. which place would u recommend for this alan?

It depends what wood you want. If you're going to stain it anyway, just go with a basic wood (pine, maple, oak, etc.). For those I'd either go to Windsor Plywood or even Home Depot (though if you want maple Home Depot may not have it in stock; they sure have a lot of pine though). A store like Westwind or PJ's is more for the exotics. Exotics you typically don't want to stain because it hides the grain. If you do need colour for more expensive woods try an aniline dye (though I find those hard to work with -- in Vancouver you can get them at a place called Mohawk; not the gas station, it's a building supply store).

Since you have tools you can cut the wood yourself. I'd do that; people in stores typically aren't as accurate as you can be yourself. The reason I suggested getting a handsaw and a mitre box is just because I thought you might live in an apartment and didn't have access to power tools.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 21
Tigers eye maple would be an awesome enclosure.I need to build one of those.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 21
what kind of store carries wood polish? just a common hardware store? thats what i would want to use to give a nice finish to say an exotic wood or something right? i mean assuming i didnt want to stain. or should i apply a varnish finish or anything..? i dont necessarily want a glossy finished varnish look so..im just wondering whats necessary basically.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of store carries wood polish? just a common hardware store?

Yup, most places will have finishing waxes. I really like this stuff:
Beeswax Polish - Lee Valley Tools
Home Hardware usually carries it too.

Quote:

thats what i would want to use to give a nice finish to say an exotic wood or something right? i mean assuming i didnt want to stain. or should i apply a varnish finish or anything..? i dont necessarily want a glossy finished varnish look so..im just wondering whats necessary basically.

You can use finishing waxes raw, but most people will put something under it, even if it's just a couple coats of mineral oil. Actually mineral oil *really* makes figured wood pop nicely, but of course it doesn't protect at all. On a nice wood, professionals generally go with shellac or lacquer because they're very clear and bring out the grain. Polyurethane, while more popular, tends to give wood a plastic look and kind of ruins a nicely figured wood. Tung oil or danish oil is also a good choice. It's up to you really. There are a lot of choices. I just wouldn't use polyurethane on an expensive wood.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep that's what I do. It's pretty simple if you have some tools. I also make faceplate trim, and it's a pretty simple process, as well as enjoyable.

Oh crikey Steve, given the level of your woodworking skills anything is pretty much simple to you. Of course for us mortals things are, hem, a bit more difficult.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh crikey Steve, given the level of your woodworking skills anything is pretty much simple to you. Of course for us mortals things are, hem, a bit more difficult.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL! Thanks for the compliment Nate.

I guess what I meant to say was that side panels are one of the easier trim pieces to make, due to the simplistic rectangular nature of the piece.

I'd also like to add that Lacquer in a spray can is a beautiful and easy finish alternative, as well as being less maintenance prone as oill or wax finishes. It's also quite durable.

You can find Deft brand lacquer at Lowes and Home Depot for about $3.00 a can. One can should suffice. Just use 0000 steel wool to buff it inbetween coats, and three coats should do fine. You can apply the next coat in about an hour, as lacquer dries very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back