WooAudio WA6 SE Tube help
May 21, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Best advice: Insert the tube into the socket, seat it all the way down and listen to music.

biggrin.gif

May 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #32 of 47
If you wiggle a tube, it's going to wiggle. Stop worrying!! It's totally normal. I've been into tube amps for since the 60's and trust me when I say, it's not an issue. Just sit back and enjoy!

May 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #34 of 47
I'd use that pico to feed the Woo so you can rest from the concern. An 1/8" to RCA will let you use your Pico as a pre. Just set your Pico where it sounds best with your hps and then your Woo to taste.

Keep in mind, these tube guys knew their craft and probably had need of flexibility in field applications. As mentioned, once the pin is in socket, the socket is held in place in pre-molded teflon. There will be movement depending on how much torque you put on the tube. In natural movement, nothing is pushing on the tube except it's weight. If you lean the amp to it's side, will the tube move? If not, you are creating an un-natural force to the design and shouldn't be of concern.

May 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #35 of 47
^ That's what I'm using, Pico -> WA6 to get the volume I want.

May 23, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd use that pico to feed the Woo so you can rest from the concern. An 1/8" to RCA will let you use your Pico as a pre. Just set your Pico where it sounds best with your hps and then your Woo to taste.

Keep in mind, these tube guys knew their craft and probably had need of flexibility in field applications. As mentioned, once the pin is in socket, the socket is held in place in pre-molded teflon. There will be movement depending on how much torque you put on the tube. In natural movement, nothing is pushing on the tube except it's weight. If you lean the amp to it's side, will the tube move? If not, you are creating an un-natural force to the design and shouldn't be of concern.

Hmm, but there's no way to bypass the pico amp right?

May 23, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwangSDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, but there's no way to bypass the pico amp right?

All DACs use some form of amplification after the D/A conversion, to get a line output at 2v. The fact that the amp in the Pico is designed to directly drive headphones doesnt immediately make it unsuitable as a line out, although going through an additional volume pot will introduce some distortion.

HeadphoneAddict has been using his Pico DAC/Amp as a preamp to his Woo and other tube amps for some time now, and reports that it does fine at the job. The Pico DAC-Only is slightly better at this however, as it uses a true FET output stage, and has no volume pot.

May 23, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All DACs use some form of amplification after the D/A conversion, to get a line output at 2v. The fact that the amp in the Pico is designed to directly drive headphones doesnt immediately make it unsuitable as a line out, although going through an additional volume pot will introduce some distortion.

HeadphoneAddict has been using his Pico DAC/Amp as a preamp to his Woo and other tube amps for some time now, and reports that it does fine at the job. The Pico DAC-Only is slightly better at this however, as it uses a true FET output stage, and has no volume pot.

Got it, this sounds pretty good running it from a $8 interconnect I got from radio shack. I'm becoming a non-believer of interconnects...

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll love it, just be patient while all parts are being settled and steady. Enjoy you're new toy.

So I come home today and turn on my amp and only one of the 6DE7's lights up and only one side of my earphone is working. I remove and replace the tubes and it works again. This morning morning I turn it on and I get this crazy popping noise again that sounds like electricity. So I instantly turn it off. Now the left tube isn't lighting up again. Should I just replace the tube? Do I need to be worried about at tube popping and cutting me or something? At this point I'm pretty afraid to use the amp at all

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a spare set to try? or swap the tube?

Yea I have a spare set to try. I'm afraid to try that's why I'm asking; I don't want to possibly damage the amp.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have warranty on your amp, I bet Jack will ask you to try another set of tubes. If swapping the tubes does not resolve your amp's problem, I will email Jack and send the amp back to him for repair.

Tried a spare set and it works fine. Actually this set of tubes fits in tighter and more solidly so I'm thinking it was just the original set of 6DE7's that I got that might have been the cause for my concern all this time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back