WooAudio WA6 SE Tube help
May 19, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #16 of 47
Yep. Don't worry about the tubes "not being seated correctly." If they are all the way in, they are seated correctly. Since mini nine pin tubes don't have a guide pin in the middle like your rectifier or a 6SN7, they will wiggle.

May 20, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 47
The small tubes in my 6SE aren't the tightest fit in the tube sockets, but I have no concern about it. The amp has worked flawlessly and has sounded superbly since day one. I think you folks are obsessing over this too much. Just enjoy the amp. It's a fabulous piece of equipment!

May 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 47
Folks.

We build our amps to last for years to come, and you should not worry durability - simply sit back and enjoy. There is a misconception that tubes are fragile - good tubes are tougher than you think.

If the amp sounds abnormal or the tube fails to glow, switch off the amp and check the tubes and power interconnection cable. The amp will not be damaged within a few minutes even if you forget to install tubes (please don't run into this).

Wiggle movement of a small 9-pin is not a concern as long as the tube plug-in completely. The Teflon sockets have better fit and leave no room to move. We tested those Teflon sockets more than a thousand times and still have very tight fit.

Quote:

Yes... if you have the "fat bottle" 6EW7s, or similar tubes... they may contact the tips of the tube socket mounting screws, preventing them from fully inserting in the sockets.

This issue rectified since last year - there is nothing else to do. "fat bottle" 6EW7 should be able to sit all they way in.

Quote:

There's like a 2cm hole between the connectors and the top so it's very hard to see how solidly they are put it? I'm paranoid with fragile expensive things so I'm really worried.

If the socket can go into the socket, you are doing it correctly. The ring is just to secure the socket. The instruction (PSU IN) shown in the manual has paint on the thread so it could hard to compare how much more the socket can go in. If you cannot turn the ring anymore, it means it is installed properly.

-Jack

May 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by WooAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks.

We build our amps to last for years to come, and you should not worry durability - simply sit back and enjoy. There is a misconception that tubes are fragile - good tubes are tougher than you think.

If the amp sounds abnormal or the tube fails to glow, switch off the amp and check the tubes and power interconnection cable. The amp will not be damaged within a few minutes even if you forget to install tubes (please don't run into this).

Wiggle movement of a small 9-pin is not a concern as long as the tube plug-in completely. The Teflon sockets have better fit and leave no room to move. We tested those Teflon sockets more than a thousand times and still have very tight fit.

This issue rectified since last year - there is nothing else to do. "fat bottle" 6EW7 should be able to sit all they way in.

If the socket can go into the socket, you are doing it correctly. The ring is just to secure the socket. The instruction (PSU IN) shown in the manual has paint on the thread so it could hard to compare how much more the socket can go in. If you cannot turn the ring anymore, it means it is installed properly.

-Jack

Granted I have no DAC so I can't test out my WA 6 SE for possibly another 1-3 weeks, but I was reassured in this thread up until the point in bold. My WA6 SE includes the teflon upgrade but as you can see in the video, there is still wiggle room. Please comment on whether or not the amount is normal. Also note that I am using about 1/5th of what it takes to push the tube into the socket, maybe 1/10th.

http://www.facebook.com/v/631939550912

I tried to embed the video but failed.

May 20, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 47
It kind of scary looking at the video. It looks like the 2 screws underneath the tube sockets are not tighten at all. My previous WA6 wasn't till that extent. I hope when the amp reaches me tomorrow will be different from what we witnessed from video. I did specifically requested Jack to ensure it is tighten before he ships the amp.

I will update my discovery tomorrow of the day after.

May 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwangSDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Granted I have no DAC so I can't test out my WA 6 SE for possibly another 1-3 weeks, but I was reassured in this thread up until the point in bold. My WA6 SE includes the teflon upgrade but as you can see in the video, there is still wiggle room. Please comment on whether or not the amount is normal. Also note that I am using about 1/5th of what it takes to push the tube into the socket, maybe 1/10th.

try another set of tubes to see if problem persists. if that's not possible then try this
quick fix. bend pin #3 of the tube (it's not electrically connected to the wa6SE)
very slightly inward (about 1 degree) toward the center. this should help
stabilize the wiggle. (some tubes have thinner pins than others and may not
fit snuggly but should not affect the function as long as you don't wiggle it
during play.)

one more thing: i've noticed some of my dual triodes have shorter pins than others.
the shorter pins don't stabilize as well as the ones with longer pins. but both function
fine.

May 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 47
Mine isn't as bad as the one in the video. I don't have any problems with wiggling tubes. I just have to bend one of the pins and it's tight.

May 20, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 47
My 6SE is similar as in the video when it's with some thin tubes such as 6CY7s but I don't notice there is any problem during listening. For most big bottle such as 6FD7s it sit firmly in the socket. And I'm happy and really enjoy with my 6SE.

May 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #26 of 47
The amount of "wiggle" in the video seems a little excessive, but I bet it does not cause any problems with the amp working properly. I've noticed certain tubes have more wiggle then others.

May 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 47
That movement means Nothing. Nothing. I have worked with tubes and built equipment since the 1960's. Tubes will move around that much in sockets as the contacts in the sockets move with the pins. It means nothing to the function and is normal, totally normal.

Best advice: Insert the tube into the socket, seat it all the way down and listen to music.

May 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best advice: Insert the tube into the socket, seat it all the way down and listen to music.

X2

May 20, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Repeatably looking at the video and I notice the wiggling is from the tube sockets rather than the tubes.

That looks to be the case. And from what I remember of the Raptor, the sockets could wiggle on that as well.

May 20, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #30 of 47
^
^
^
x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

x3

There's nothing to concern about it. It's perfectly fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back