WooAudio WA6 SE Tube help
May 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

JwangSDC

100+ Head-Fier
So I got my WA6 SE but without a DAC I can't listen to it. But I did notice that nothing on this amp connects firmly. I spent an hour and a half screwing the PSU cable in because it never looks like it's fully connected the way it says in the instruction manual.

Also, what is up with the tubes? There's like a 2cm hole between the connectors and the top so it's very hard to see how solidly they are put it? I'm paranoid with fragile expensive things so I'm really worried. I upgraded to the teflon tube sockets for reference.

Did anyone else have the same problem? The 6EW7's are specifically the hardest to tell if they are in all the way or not. Even pressing them down maximally they are easy to shake around...

May 18, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwangSDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent an hour and a half screwing the PSU cable in because it never looks like it's fully connected the way it says in the instruction manual.

I noticed the same thing.
I also could not get it to match the photo.
It works just fine BTW!

May 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 47
Same here. Don't stress about how the PSU cable looks in the manual - it's somewhat misleading. As long as it's firmly screwed in, it's fine.

With smaller tubes like 6DE7 and 6EW7, you are bound to notice some wiggling back and forth even when it's firmly seated. Just make sure they are plugged in as deeply as they'll go.

And don't you have something like an old cd player or dvd player that you can connect to the amp to listen to until you get the DAC?

May 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. Don't stress about how the PSU cable looks in the manual - it's somewhat misleading. As long as it's firmly screwed in, it's fine.

With smaller tubes like 6DE7 and 6EW7, you are bound to notice some wiggling back and forth even when it's firmly seated. Just make sure they are plugged in as deeply as they'll go.

And don't you have something like an old cd player or dvd player that you can connect to the amp to listen to until you get the DAC?

Nope, literally nothing. Well...to be fair I have a computer etc but I'm currently listening out of my pico. I think the pico sounds better than anything I could hook up to my WA 6SE since the limiting factor on the DAC side would be way too large for the WA6 SE to make up for it.

May 18, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

So I got my WA6 SE but without a DAC I can't listen to it. But I did notice that nothing on this amp connects firmly. I spent an hour and a half screwing the PSU cable in because it never looks like it's fully connected the way it says in the instruction manual.

Also, what is up with the tubes? There's like a 2cm hole between the connectors and the top so it's very hard to see how solidly they are put it? I'm paranoid with fragile expensive things so I'm really worried. I upgraded to the teflon tube sockets for reference.

Did anyone else have the same problem? The 6EW7's are specifically the hardest to tell if they are in all the way or not. Even pressing them down maximally they are easy to shake around...

Yes... if you have the "fat bottle" 6EW7s, or similar tubes... they may contact the tips of the tube socket mounting screws, preventing them from fully inserting in the sockets.

They will work, if they're in secure contact with the sockets, though.

Best solution is to get a Dremel Tool (or similar) and grind down the tips of the screws to allow a better fit. I did that, and now... my "fat bottle" tubes fit fine.

Oh yes... if you do that... you need to take extra care to block the areas around the screws to prevent the metal particles from getting into the amp and causing a short. And... you need to use plenty of compressed air to clean all the contact points in your amp to make sure all the metal particles have been safely removed.

May 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes... if you have the "fat bottle" 6EW7s, or similar tubes... they may contact the tips of the tube socket mounting screws, preventing them from fully inserting in the sockets.

They will work, if they're in secure contact with the sockets, though.

Best solution is to get a Dremel Tool (or similar) and grind down the tips of the screws to allow a better fit. I did that, and now... my "fat bottle" tubes fit fine.

He has a brand new make, so the socket mounting screws should not be an issue - Woo folks have been grinding them down for a while now.

May 19, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am pretty concern on the matters highlighted in RED, I ha the similar experience when I had the WA6 Maxed before I returned for an upgrade to WA6SE Maxed. It is a disappointment to notice such similar experiences being reported. My newly constructed amp is being now with FedEx on its way to be ETA May 21. I am keeping my fingers cross hoping the same will not happen to again. I am not a techy who will open up a electrical item and tighten any loose screws.

May 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty concern on the matters highlighted in RED, I ha the similar experience when I had the WA6 Maxed before I returned for an upgrade to WA6SE Maxed. It is a disappointment to notice such similar experiences being reported. My newly constructed amp is being now with FedEx on its way to be ETA May 21. I am keeping my fingers cross hoping the same will not happen to again. I am not a techy who will open up a electrical item and tighten any loose screws.

The Driver/Output tubes do not fit nearly as tightly as the Rectifier. This is normal. My PrimaLuna Integrated amp has the same wiggle factor with it's smaller pre-amp tubes, so it's not a problem with your Woo. Just make sure the tube pins are clean and when inserting the tubes in the sockets, just make sure they are fully seated...

May 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

you shouldn't have to put yourself thru such anxiety and stress. i'd highly
suggest you cancel the order thru wooaudio and seriously look into solid state
amps like the GS-1. it's hassle free from tubes and less costly overall too.

here are some other stressful issues you're bound to encounter with a tube amp:

with tubes you have to worry about testing them to prevent short circuiting
your amp... that means you need a tube tester. if pins get dirty you have to
clean them... if pins get bent you have to straighten them... there's high
probability that some of your tubes will have more inherent noise/hum than
others... there's 100% probability that you'll encounter a dying tube that
needs to be replaced... if opening up the back panel or tightening a loose
screw is considered "techy" to you, getting a solid state amp may be the solution.
good luck.

May 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you shouldn't have to put yourself thru such anxiety and stress. i'd highly
suggest you cancel the order thru wooaudio and seriously look into solid state
amps like the GS-1. it's hassle free from tubes and less costly overall too.

here are some other stressful issues you're bound to encounter with a tube amp:

with tubes you have to worry about testing them to prevent short circuiting
your amp... that means you need a tube tester. if pins get dirty you have to
clean them... if pins get bent you have to straighten them... there's high
probability that some of your tubes will have more inherent noise/hum than
others... there's 100% probability that you'll encounter a dying tube that
needs to be replaced... if opening up the back panel or tightening a loose
screw is considered "techy" to you, getting a solid state amp may be the solution.
good luck.

X2! but I think Woo already shipped his amp

May 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Don't stress dude! These are non-issues. When you get your amp, set it up, start listening, and the big grin on your face will tell you you made a good decision.

May 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2! but I think Woo already shipped his amp

then i would contact jack of wooaudio and explain my circumstance... then
i'd refuse the package when customs call me in to pay any tax, and ask them
to ship back to sender. i may be out shipping fee but it's better than going
thru more unnecessary anxiety. in this hobby, one of the most important things
i've learned is to know when to cut my losses.

one other thing... i'm not sure if it was this poster but i think he/she is going
to use an ipod as source... any desktop amp, tube or solid, is overkill for an ipod, imo.
a portable like the pico or predator or many others will probably sound just as
good considering the limited signal strength/SQ of the source...

May 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then i would contact jack of wooaudio and explain my circumstance... then
i'd refuse the package when customs call me in to pay any tax, and ask them
to ship back to sender. i may be out shipping fee but it's better than going
thru more unnecessary anxiety. in this hobby, one of the most important things
i've learned is to know when to cut my losses.

one other thing... i'm not sure if it was this poster but i think he/she is going
to use an ipod as source... any desktop amp, tube or solid, is overkill for an ipod, imo.
a portable like the pico or predator or many others will probably sound just as
good considering the limited signal strength/SQ of the source...

I'm in agreement with you again. I think no matter what anyone tells him, he's still going to focus on the "loose tube sockets" and not the music. Hopefully this wont be the case..

May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 47
My wa2 also has somewhat loosen sockets when comparing to the opposite side. (left,right). but I never thought it would effect SQ. I mean, it is obvious that when Woo tested them before the ship out, they probably knew the sockets were unevenly loosen??

May 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 47
Small tubes like 6DE7 and 6EW7, due to their very thin pins, are naturally "wiggly" in their sockets - this is totally normal and not cause for concern.

I don't think the teflon socket upgrades were supposed to correct this non-issue. It's more of a "luxury/pretty" upgrade in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back