WooAudio W5.......first impressions!
Jul 14, 2007 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Stax-i-nox

100+ Head-Fier
I finally received the first W5 production amp a few days ago, and it's my first ever 300b amp.
I should preface this mini review by saying I have never heard a 300b amp, so I had no idea what I was going to hear.

The 2 piece W5 was packed really well in the proprietary wooden crates. Despite that, the PSU unit arrived with it's power plug housing slightly damaged. It was still usable though! Jack feels FedEX dropped the crate, and I agree, as one corner of the box was dented. Jack has offered to repair it, but I am NOT letting the PSU unit go back yet.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the Siliver, and the fit and finish is tops!

I am completely blown away by the naturalness of the music, the realness of the sound. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz, especially small classical ensembles, piano, violin, cello, that type of music, and it is simply put, a fantastic sound coming from the W5. My K1000 have never sounded this smooth and enjoyable, with NO ear fatigue, no etched treble, and plenty of good clean bass. Not only do the K1000 sound great, but so do speakers on the W5! I have an old pair of Mission Cyrus 2 way's for my 2nd system, and the W5 makes these really sound so good. The W5 also has gobs of the 3D effect on both the K1000 and the speaker taps.

The word "magical" comes to mind when I am listening to the W5. It sounds as if I am there, live. It's really an uncanny feeling, as I have never heard anything quite like it before.

I have a lot of vintage Stax equipment, and this W5, to my ear, has them all beat. Such a smooth easy sound, and that's with only the stock tubes. I can't imagine what it would sound like with the WB300's and some of the other tubes as some of you have tried already.

In any case, those are my first impressions. Will write a bit more after it breaks in further.

Whoever buys the W5 will be one happy audiophile!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 41
I would imagine with even more time on the unit the delight will increase. I can't imagine that sound with nos WE300B's. One nice thing about the 300 besides their fantasic sound when done right is there extemely long life.

Post images when you get a chance so we can kind of live through you. :^)

I most likely wouldn't send the ps back either. Get some good horn speakers and you will really be blown away.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 41
Im envious.. I've heard great things about Woo, is the W5 their top headphone amp?

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post images when you get a chance so we can kind of live through you. :^)

Yes, please do! The more the better
biggrin.gif

I've been very impressed with Woo's superb build quality in their smaller amps, I'm sure the W5 is no different.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 41
congrats on the WA5 purchase. that thing is a beast and probably one of the top - if not the top - K1000 amps. plus it looks pretty cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, please do! The more the better
biggrin.gif

I've been very impressed with Woo's superb build quality in their smaller amps, I'm sure the W5 is no different.

I agree. It doesn't matter if the amp is their lowest price to the top model they are all built like top tier amps. I noticed on my Woo 6 that the faceplate arout 3/8 of and inch thick and the whole case, as with the 3 has a fit and finish that is excellent. I also like the clean work done on the interior. Excellent solder joints and a good layout for the wiring.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 41
Here are a few pics. Great build quality as you can see. I am running it older equipment, Sony XA7es redbook player and a one-of-a kind Aragon D2A, a unique prototype.

More sonic observations.....I noticed that any change upstream of the W5 is very noticeable in the sound. This amp is so easy on the ears, but yet still has plenty of punch when called for.

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 41
Err.. Must resist..

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 41
Stupid question.. But.. I gotta ask.. Why tubes in PSU? What purpose do they serve?

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 41
The two 5U4G's are rectifiers, they start the conversion of AC to DC. The DC is then further smoothed by capacitors and resistors and possibly an inductor. There are many good old stock 5U4G's to try. The ST 5U4G Sylvanias and RCA's are fine.

Wait until you put some nice NOS 6SN7's in there. The Tungsol 6SN7B is under rated, a good buy and sound great. Of course you have the Sylvanias. A couple of Tungsol black glass 6SN7's would look great and are about the best sounding, imo. Too bad it doesn't have 12 volt heaters and you would have a world of 12SN7's at a very fine price or any adapter for the 7N7's and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back