WooAudio W5.......first impressions!
Jul 28, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #31 of 41
Thanks. I should have the tubes in a week or so. I got a great deal on a new pair. Jack told me the amp had 30 hours on it when I got it. I want to give it some more time and get the WEs in there before I post any serious impressions. I will say that I am pretty happy at the moment.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #32 of 41
it's quite a beautiful amp...jack really makes great amps...but tube rolling will
probably lighten your wallet substantially...

btw, i've noticed you're using the vda-2 with the ps. how do you like it in your
set-up? i've had the vda-2 since march and it's made a huge improvement in SQ
especially the grainless clarity in the highs and mids...

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's quite a beautiful amp...jack really makes great amps...but tube rolling will
probably lighten your wallet substantially...

btw, i've noticed you're using the vda-2 with the ps. how do you like it in your
set-up? i've had the vda-2 since march and it's made a huge improvement in SQ
especially the grainless clarity in the highs and mids...

It's a borrowed VPP-1 phono stage. I had the VDA-1 with an Airport Express a while back and liked it.

I'm getting a deal on the WE 300b and it's still going to be more than $500 for the pair.

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #34 of 41
I remember when they used to be. . . doesn't matter. Actually I have seen them go for much more than 500 a pair so that is a good deal and they should last a lifetime.

Jul 28, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 41
Congrats Mike! I can't wait to hear your impressions with the Super Hemps! BTW, got the phono stage John recommended and blew it up in 20 minutes
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember when they used to be. . . doesn't matter. Actually I have seen them go for much more than 500 a pair so that is a good deal and they should last a lifetime.

I figure this was as good a deal as I was going to find. Having listened to the WA5 with the stock tubes for a few more hours today and tonight, I can't imagine it sounding much better. I am sure it will but it's real nice out of the box. I tried an ALO recabled 701, GS1000, and R10 today and each sounded great out of the WA5. I have boomana's R10s for the next week or so and I am amazed how good they are. I hadn't listened to them in a long time when at meets figuring I would never own a pair so why bother. The soundstage they throw is spectacular and the bass is far from lean on this pair.
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Mike! I can't wait to hear your impressions with the Super Hemps! BTW, got the phono stage John recommended and blew it up in 20 minutes
wink.gif

Thanks. I've spent the least amount of time with the WA5 and the SuperHemps. Hopefully tomorrow I will have an opportunity. I forgot to ask John which phono stage he recommended. So which one was it?

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #37 of 41
Have you listened to the Ultrasone E 9?

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Have you listened to the Ultrasone E 9?

Only for a short time at the National Meet. It was out of a Rudistor amp.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #39 of 41
Sorry, I meant out of your amp but then I guess you would have mentioned that. Being able to listen to the R10 must be quite a treat. I can only imagine what they must sound like having read accounts of what they can do. With the 5 it must be very inspiring.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Sorry, I meant out of your amp but then I guess you would have mentioned that. Being able to listen to the R10 must be quite a treat. I can only imagine what they must sound like having read accounts of what they can do. With the 5 it must be very inspiring.

I should have figured that's what you meant. None of us own a pair of Edition 9s. We were discussing them at dinner and wondering who would take the plunge.

I've been listening to the R10s almost non stop for the last 3 hours. It is definitely a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back