WooAudio 6 Review
Jan 28, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 73
Yeah, the WA6 is definitely a keeper. I don't think you can do better at this price range (or even somewhat higher for that matter), only different.

Construction is absolutely top quality, It looks a stunner IMHO, and it has veratility given it's selective impedance.

I started out using it with HD600s but have since moved on to my current headphones, the Denon AH-D2000. The WA6 pairs quite nicely with both cans.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 73
I had a chance to listen to some rock music with violins over the weekend and wow what a beautiful sound. Within the context of the music the violins sounded mysterious ... a gentle dark tone, very pleasing, but still powerful and bright. All this with a seductive element to them, I have to say it’s the woo6 & the HD650 combo, as I have heard the music before, but never like this
880smile-1.png

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 73
I would love an impression between K701 & Maxed WA6,
I'm seriously consider this amp, hopefully it matched my expectations.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long the built times?
I'm interested with the Maxed WA6.

It looks like mine took a couple of weeks from order to ship.

I will leave the analytical statements about the amp and headphones to others. I just know what sounds good to me. Once the headphones are broken in (if you believe in that), the Woo WA6 - K701 combination is very very good.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 73
Excellent review, well done.

I picked up a WooAudio 3 recently and have been quite impressed. I wonder how different the 3 and the 6 sound? The 6 is only slightly more expensive, but clearly they use different circuit topologies.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #22 of 73
The 3 stands on its own quite well. Since it outputs from the power tube, it is different. I find the soundstage on the 3 open and airy but then I have modified mine a little. I haven't listened to mine with the Ultrasone 750's, which I would truly like to as the 750's are fast becoming my favorite headphones.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

How long the built times?
I'm interested with the Maxed WA6.

I sent Jack an email asking the same question about a month ago, he said 2-3 weeks, but he had 1 maxed wa6 on the shelf ready to go, I would have went for it, but had found a good deal on one here. Might still be there?

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #24 of 73
Tempting... very tempting...
Does Jack offer custom tubes that came inside WA6 package?

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Tempting... very tempting...
Does Jack offer custom tubes that came inside WA6 package?

send him an email mate.

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #26 of 73
First, let me thank all of you for your contributions to this site. I have read and enjoyed many posts but have not had much to contribute. I hope to in the future. I have been seriously considering one of the Woo headphone amps, specifically the 3 or the 6, or even the 2 if I can come up with the extra money.. Any thoughts on the differences in sound through the Senn 600s would be greatly appreciated. I currently use a ASL MG Head OTL Mark II. I find the sound rich and alive, but maybe a bit polite at times. The source will be a Ah Tjoeb 4000 w/upsampler direct to the headamp or a part of the larger system: Jolida100A dig out>PS Audio DAC III>Modwright pre-amp>Headamp>Senn 600. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

T

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #27 of 73
I cannot comment on the sound with HD600's, but I used to own the ASL OTL III, and while I thought it to be an excellent amp, most amps using the EL84 power tube sound very tubey to me. This can be a good thing, or not, depending on the rest of the system. No doubt the Woo3 is a bit less romantic sounding than the ASL amp, with a bit more sparkle, while still having plenty of tube midrange magic. And you can tailor the sound quite a bit with choice of output tube - the 6AS7 being the most lush, and the 6080 being the most "crisp".

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

I would love an impression between K701 & Maxed WA6,
I'm seriously consider this amp, hopefully it matched my expectations.

Sorry, but my WA6 is stock. I bought it new right before I took delivery of brand new K701s. The experience had me wondering why people were saying the AKGs needed 300+ hours of break-in, since mine sounded fantastic right out of the box. Of course, my source is a really nice vinyl front end, so I wasn't hearing any digital artifacts. The 701s now have over 100 hours and I'm only noticing more bass. The top was always open, detailed and beautiful.

There's plenty of volume for me, but I CAN turn the volume all the way up and not hurt my ears (short term). I generally listen to my speakers with average SPLs in the mid to high 80 dB and perceive that my headphones are below that on average (given the partial isolation). I would equate the WA6 at full volume as equivalent to high 90 dB through the speakers.

With my UE Triple.fi 10 Pros the Woo is also stunning. The bass is powerful and punchier than with the AKGs. However, the AKGs are still gaining bass, so I'm reluctant to say that they're bass-shy. The highs with the IEMs are detailed and smooth, very comparable to the AKGs, the main difference being in the image (IEMs have a smaller, tighter, less diffuse image. Duh).

I would hesitate to recommend any Woo product even though I've only tried this one product. It's very competitively priced, built like a brick house and stunning sounding.

Dave

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by tgrisham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, thanks. Do you still use your WA3 or do you prefer one of the others you have listed?

T

No, the Woo3 is not in the same league as the Darkvoice 337 or the SinglePower Extreme, but it's a great amp for the money, IMO. I have lots of places to use amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back