Woo6 versus PPX3
May 6, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to pay that much. The price of 6DJ8's is crazy and it was the most produced tube of all time. There is no shortage but. . . Get a couple of the GE grey glass. They are inexpensive and no one seems to know they are good sounding. I would do some buying on Ebay and just peck away at them. You will have many varities in no time.

Thanks for the advice. I bought a pair of the GE tubes for $30, and I'll compare them to the Philips tubes that ship with the WA2. I'll inch my way up from there.

--Jerome

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #18 of 24
Once I have an urge to go for a Platinum Extreme, but I held back not only because of the wait time, but also considering the number of user who have to send their SP back for various reasons. For users like me who are thousands of miles away shipping a heavy amp back and forth is not a funny or cheap exercies to try out.

I finally opt for a WA6, and with a good metal base G34 it was extremely impressive. To answer a few of the questions / remarks raised previously : (a) I think the WA6 is more "precise" or less-coloured, and it is faster as well, as far as a tube amp is concerend.
(b) The anodised silvery finish of the WooAudio amp is quite scratch resistant, and it stays new. It has the low profile, weighty yet subtle elegance that will please many.

I actually like the WA6 so much that I just commission Jack to build me a WA5. This is going to be a headphone version only of the WA5, and we are still discussing the pros and cons of having the K1000 output jack. Granted, the WA5 uses 300Bs, and getting a good pair of 300Bs will start at US$300 (TJ Full Music), to US$500 (Emission Labs) to US$800 (current WEs) to US$15,00+ (NOS WEs)..... So, this is going to be more biggest investment on a headphone amp so far.

....waiting
F. Lo

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not overlook Antique Soundlab, esp. MG-Head DT32...it killed DV332i when i compared them, imo.

please provide more detail wrt associated equipments/tube sets.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Do not overlook Antique Soundlab, esp. MG-Head DT32...it killed DV332i when i compared them, imo.

While I respect ASL, it IS $400 more than the 332. So you have to cut it some slack.. I do know the "price" doesn't mean squat, but you have to consider it.

I look forward to moving up to the WA2 sometime down the line..

-Nick
600smile.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

You may want to see the 6 Moons review of this amp... before you invest your money... but... perhaps it's been upgraded since then.

"In the end -- and despite its all-in-one package deal appeal and very attractive pricing -- I remained a bit concerned about the 32's innate noise levels and its peculiar headphone-only penchant for selectively sounding downright dirty on certain CDs and truly commendable on others...

The voicing differences between the Sennheisers and audio-technicas... were far less significant and apparent over the Head whose resolving power operates at a lower level... the MGHead DT/OTL 32 is more about musical values and less about higher audiophile ambitions which, you might argue, aptly describes the budget tube sector in general."

http://www.6moons.com/archivelibrary/archives.html

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to see the 6 Moons review of this amp... before you invest your money... but... perhaps it's been upgraded since then.

"In the end -- and despite its all-in-one package deal appeal and very attractive pricing -- I remained a bit concerned about the 32's innate noise levels and its peculiar headphone-only penchant for selectively sounding downright dirty on certain CDs and truly commendable on others...

The voicing differences between the Sennheisers and audio-technicas... were far less significant and apparent over the Head whose resolving power operates at a lower level... the MGHead DT/OTL 32 is more about musical values and less about higher audiophile ambitions which, you might argue, aptly describes the budget tube sector in general."

http://www.6moons.com/archivelibrary/archives.html

mine is noise free; yes, it is 'about musical values'...where tube amp should sound like - tubey(euphonic with senn hd650), imo. while dv332i is very good with cans such k701 and dt990, it sounds too solid-state like to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back