Woo6 versus PPX3
Apr 30, 2007 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering an upgrade to that price range... does anyone have experience with both amps? How do their SQs compare with each other?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 24
My thoughts...

Both are great amps for that price range IMHO. Personally I would be happy with either. The other thing to keep in mind is that there quite a few different tubes you can try to further tweek the sound.

Take this with a huge grain of salt, I listened to them on 2 separate occasions and not A/B.

With my RS1 the PPX has a more "throaty" midbass-y character. The PPX tended to sound more colored, and seemed to introduce more of its own sonic flair to the sound than the W6.

I thought the W6 was also warm, but a little more dry and "flat" (some call might it more accurate). I wouldn't consider either to be harsh or aggressive.

IMHO they are both great amps, they just go about their business in different ways.

I think you should just keep this sonic impression at the bottom of your list though, others who had the chance to A/B them will be far more qualified to post.

After spending some time with Mikhail last week and getting to know him personally... one thing is clear. He over-builds, over-specs, and over-designs EVERYTHING with the Singlepower name on it. This goes a long way in my book, especially with tube circuitry.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 24
Which PPX3 should are you considering?

1. PPX3 6CG7
2. PPX3 6SN7
3. Slam version of either of the above.

One of the advantages of the PPX3 line is that you can easily upgrade from one version to the next. I turned a PPX3 6CG7 into a PPX3 6SN7 Slam. Well, Mikhail did it really. But I paid for it.
tongue.gif

I have never heard a Woo product so can't comment on them.

May 1, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After spending some time with Mikhail last week and getting to know him personally... one thing is clear. He over-builds, over-specs, and over-designs EVERYTHING with the Singlepower name on it. This goes a long way in my book, especially with tube circuitry.

I'm sure this is absolutely true. The reputation of SP products is stellar. What also seems clear is that Mikhail over-commits...at least judging from the wait times that some people have been describing. Two, two and half months for delivery? And to be honest, there is one new product he has out that makes no sense to me whatsoever, when the time spent on R&D for that product could have been spent filling orders. I thought about contacting Mikhail, but after reading about the long waits I was put off.

I ordered a Woo 2 based on features/value, quality, positive reviews, and reasonable delivery turnaround. I may end up with a SP amp some day, but I expect that if I do it will probably be a used one. They do show up on Head-fi from time to time. There's a PPX3 and PPX3 SLAM for sale right now. If I had seen the SLAM yesterday I might have bought it. But with a Woo 2 on order and a Darkvoice 332 already here I think I should wait a while.

--Jerome

May 5, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 24
I'm also interested in woo6.

May 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 24
jsaliga, how have you liked your WA2? I have to admit I'd likely be buying a Singlepower except for the wait times (which I know a few over double your mentioned length). So eying Woo and likely the 6. Just curious your experiences.

May 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 24
does anyone here know how the woo audio finish ages? i know that the beautiful singlepower gloss will eventually get covered with fingerprints and the like. the metal on the woo amps look really durable and rough though. any difference between the black and silver types when it comes to aging?

May 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jsaliga, how have you liked your WA2? I have to admit I'd likely be buying a Singlepower except for the wait times (which I know a few over double your mentioned length). So eying Woo and likely the 6. Just curious your experiences.

I don't have the WA2 yet. I received an email from Jack Wu last night notifying me that the amp was built and is burn-in testing. He said he would ship it to me on Monday.

Since there does not seem to be much discussion on Head-Fi about the WA2, I plan to start a thread on it with a review and photos, though that is probably at least a few weeks away. I will need to spend some time with the amp. Additionally, I am already hunting down some tubes. Jack made some very helpfull suggestions when I asked him about tube rolling options.

--Jerome

May 5, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the WA2 yet. I received an email from Jack Wu last night notifying me that the amp was built and is burn-in testing. He said he would ship it to me on Monday.

Since there does not seem to be much discussion on Head-Fi about the WA2, I plan to start a thread on it with a review and photos, though that is probably at least a few weeks away. I will need to spend some time with the amp. Additionally, I am already hunting down some tubes. Jack made some very helpfull suggestions when I asked him about tube rolling options.

--Jerome

You have so many choices of tubes it staggers the imagination. The 6X4 Tungsol, D getter from the late 1950's is the bes for the rectifier but there are some very interesting ones to try out. And then the 6DJ8 family, huge with the Seimens 6922 as one of my favorites but so many are great. And then the power tube, there are a number of different types from the straight sided to the nice ST shape. What a great chance to have fun with so many different combinations. Psych meds may be needed. :^)

May 5, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 24
I'm also finding out that some of those tube options cost almost as much as the amp!
eek.gif

Not to worry. I'll just have to be tenacious. I'm sure there's a pair of NOS <Insert Legendary Name Here> 6922/6DJ8 out there to be had for less than $200....[size=x-small]I hope...[/size][size=xx-small]sniff...[/size]

--Jerome

May 5, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 24
You don't have to pay that much. The price of 6DJ8's is crazy and it was the most produced tube of all time. There is no shortage but. . . Get a couple of the GE grey glass. They are inexpensive and no one seems to know they are good sounding. I would do some buying on Ebay and just peck away at them. You will have many varities in no time.

May 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 24
If you still can't decide, then choose your favorite state. Singlepower is from Colorado and Woo amps are from New York I think.

To me, I think it's cool to have an amp made in Colorado, since some big powerful military weapons are also made in Colorado. But that's my shallow way of thinking.

icon10.gif

Edit:

Woo amps kinda look art deco looking too, which is a New York thing. What I mean is that it looks like a design similar to the Empire State building or Chrysler building structure in a way. If your room is art deco looking, then the Woo Amp would be a nice compliment. Maybe you can have a Woo amp sit next to a miniture figure of the Statue of Liberty.

May 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 24
True but the diversity in New York is hip. I say get one of each. I have two different metal base GZ34's and some old and some variations of the 6DE7 waiting for a Woo6.

May 6, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you still can't decide, then choose your favorite state. Singlepower is from Colorado and Woo amps are from New York I think. To me, I think it's cool to have an amp made in Colorado, since some big powerful military weapons are also made in Colorado. But that's my shallow way of thinking.

What was that Manhattan Project thingy?
wink.gif

Besides it sounds like you should be going Emmeline?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back