Woo6 versus Doge 6210 shootout
May 21, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you send me your Millet Hybrid MAX, I'll be happy to add it to the comparo
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd lay down money you'll have built one before I do if history is any indicator. It was more than a year before I built my Millett. Can't see building a MAX for a while.

May 22, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Yeah I couldn't imagine the rectifier tubes making that big of a difference, but Aaron said it made a huge difference and I beleive him because I always find that he is right whenever he says things make a huge difference. I guess the cheaper rectifier tubes have "sag." Thus, he got the nice and expensive tubes. But hey, is the cost of the $$$ rectifier tubes really worth a slightly longer life for the output tubes? SS still looks more attractive
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes they do,and if you want a major upgrade thats more than reasonable go to cryoset .com.I put in the bugle boy rectifier and couldn,t find a big difference in 6de7's until I had them cryoed.

May 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

they are completely different! it's a matter of preference. johnsonad has a lot of thoughts on it and will be posting a comparo pretty soon. or you can PM him and ask if you're impatient.
smily_headphones1.gif

obviously you preferred the zapfilter...?

May 22, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

the synergy with the AD2000 is very good, since the AD2000 is very similar to the AKG K701, maybe slightly darker but more bassy.

I've owned both the AD2000's and the 701's, and I didn't find the AD2000's sound at all similar to the 701's. I much prefer the 701's, BTW.

May 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #38 of 38
What I used to do was use some ultra fast soft recovery solid state rectifiers in front of my tube rectifiers. The tube rectifier further smooths but has an even better, softer, recovery than the solid state. The tube lasts a very, very long time but I prefer the sound most often of good tube rectification. If the filtering is extreme for the DC then after awhile it becomes mute as I then don't hear much of a difference but with more raw DC I prefer tube rectification with the 6X4 Tungsol as my favorite then the GZ34 metal base. There is just something special that is done to the DC with the metal base GZ34. It has a very high vacuum that is what the Japanese learned to do well but sadly they did not produce tubes for that long. There 5AR4/GZ34 is a very good tube. Their EL34's are fine and there is one EL34 from Japan that I have never been able to trace to the maker with a totally different construction than I have ever seen that all the tube experts I know also could not figure out, that is the finest EL34 I have ever heard. Vacuum and high quality construction but they were demons for vacuum and this comes back to the GZ34 metal base from about 1954 to 1957.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back